Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 02:03 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,326,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
It doesn't seem to be historically off by much but relative to how warm the rest of 2016 was it was an anomaly since the rest of summer was well above historical averages.

Historical numbers show May average temperature of 90/65 and May 30th 99/70.
I know the month stated off fairly cool. We had a really hot day the first week of May IIRC, then it cooled off after that. Looks like there were several days that were close to 10 degrees below average. It seemed like it took forever for the pool to warm up!

https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=99999

Old 03-17-2017, 03:19 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,753,614 times
The actual high temp average for the whole month was 92F, run the same math on the historical averages and you get 95. Looking at the whole month it was off by 3 degrees, really not that much off average.

May of 2015 was actually much cooler then last year, the average was only 90 then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 08:57 AM

567 posts, read 790,436 times
Before even seriously considering here, spend some time here in the middle of the summer. Yes, the temps can get up to 120 on rare occasion, but it's not the temps per se: it's how the constant heat can wear on you. Despite the heat, people are rarely stuck in the house. We go to the mall, up to the mountains, or over to the ocean.

Many people have lawns. Most people have weeds.

Biggest problem insect-wise are roaches (ick) and ants. I've lived here since '73 (from Chicago), and I've yet to see a scorpion. I homeschooled for a couple of years decades ago. Best thing to do about finding a group is to look online.

You can get a very nice house under your budget.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaMom View Post
Before even seriously considering here, spend some time here in the middle of the summer. Yes, the temps can get up to 120 on rare occasion, but it's not the temps per se: it's how the constant heat can wear on you. Despite the heat, people are rarely stuck in the house. We go to the mall, up to the mountains, or over to the ocean.

Many people have lawns. Most people have weeds.

Biggest problem insect-wise are roaches (ick) and ants. I've lived here since '73 (from Chicago), and I've yet to see a scorpion. I homeschooled for a couple of years decades ago. Best thing to do about finding a group is to look online.

You can get a very nice house under your budget.
Where do most people have weeds at? We're in a very middle class Tempe neighborhood without an HOA and most people keep their yards very nice.

The heat is a state of mind, some people let weather affect them more then others.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:47 AM

194 posts, read 292,718 times
Hi! I'm going to add in my thoughts.

1. I too was terrified of bugs. I am from Montana where we have few bugs and spiders so the thought of moving where there are creepy crawlers scared me. We've been here 2 years and I have seen 2 cockroaches (one of which was dead) and zero scorpions besides when we go hiking at night to purposefully see them. They aren't as scary to me as I thought they would be but I would not like it if they were in my house. As mentioned, it is unfortunately dependent on where live as some areas just have them and they are hard to get rid of. We had black widows at our last place, but they were few and far between. I recommend getting your place sprayed for bugs.

2. The tech field is getting busier and busier here. I think your husband should be able to find a job. But I am no expert.

3. Can't comment, sorry!

4. We homeschool and have found the area extremely agreeable to do so in. Minimal is required to HS in Az and there are many, many resources to take advantage of. We live in the west valley and I have joined a couple HS groups just through Facebook. We set up regular park days and field trips. All in all, I feel the Phoenix area is very family friendly. There are numerous museums that offer homeschool days. The maricopa county school district sends out a monthly homeschool newsletter that you can sign up for that lists all activities that homeschool families can participate in. There are also a ton of free family friendly activities/festivals/events that as you know, are great to incorporate as part of schooling at home. Not to mention all the fun outdoor activities like hiking, swimming, exploring. Feel free to pm me about homeschooling anytime. My kiddos are 4, 7 and 9. There is also online public school as already mentioned but my family doesn't go this route.

5. Cost of living is very reasonable. But I say this comparing it to the tiny ski resort and college town I moved from. I know in the west valley you could easily meet your budget, but can't speak for the other areas. The key is finding a job first as you don't want a nasty commute.

6. Aw, the weather. The number one reason we moved here. Being from Montana I too was used to being stuck inside 6+ months a year. I hated the cold and gloominess and we decided to up and move here. I was under the impression that I might be spending those 6 months inside due to the heat but I am pleasantly surprised that has not been the case. Yes it gets hot. Really hot. But it is more like 4 months and I do not have that same trapped feeling. We can go swimming and still get outside. It's a lot easier to throw on flip flops and run to the mall then it is to get everyone bundled up to venture out in the cold. Plus, remember in just 2 hours you can be in flagstaff, Payson or Prescott where it is sometimes 40 degrees cooler! Don't underestimate what just one day of a break can give you as far as your morale. The other 8 months are wonderful. Be safe and realistic about the heat and I'm sure you'll do fine.

7. I absolutely love living in the desert and it has been a real culture shock. Completely different from the 22 years I spent in Montana and it has been a refreshing change. We too lived on a half acre and had a ton of grass that we mowed twice a week in the summer. That got old quickly. We currently have a grass patch and a lot of desert landscaping that does need to be maintained. You do have to work to keep it looking nice but all in all I would say it's easier than mowing the half acre. The majority of homes do not have grass though. While I like the look of the grass and the fact it cools the yard a bit, I would definitely be fine without grass. The desert is beautiful in its own way.

Old 03-19-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italy04 View Post
Hi! I'm going to add in my thoughts.

1. I too was terrified of bugs. I am from Montana where we have few bugs and spiders so the thought of moving where there are creepy crawlers scared me. We've been here 2 years and I have seen 2 cockroaches (one of which was dead) and zero scorpions besides when we go hiking at night to purposefully see them. They aren't as scary to me as I thought they would be but I would not like it if they were in my house. As mentioned, it is unfortunately dependent on where live as some areas just have them and they are hard to get rid of. We had black widows at our last place, but they were few and far between. I recommend getting your place sprayed for bugs.

2. The tech field is getting busier and busier here. I think your husband should be able to find a job. But I am no expert.

3. Can't comment, sorry!

4. We homeschool and have found the area extremely agreeable to do so in. Minimal is required to HS in Az and there are many, many resources to take advantage of. We live in the west valley and I have joined a couple HS groups just through Facebook. We set up regular park days and field trips. All in all, I feel the Phoenix area is very family friendly. There are numerous museums that offer homeschool days. The maricopa county school district sends out a monthly homeschool newsletter that you can sign up for that lists all activities that homeschool families can participate in. There are also a ton of free family friendly activities/festivals/events that as you know, are great to incorporate as part of schooling at home. Not to mention all the fun outdoor activities like hiking, swimming, exploring. Feel free to pm me about homeschooling anytime. My kiddos are 4, 7 and 9. There is also online public school as already mentioned but my family doesn't go this route.

5. Cost of living is very reasonable. But I say this comparing it to the tiny ski resort and college town I moved from. I know in the west valley you could easily meet your budget, but can't speak for the other areas. The key is finding a job first as you don't want a nasty commute.

6. Aw, the weather. The number one reason we moved here. Being from Montana I too was used to being stuck inside 6+ months a year. I hated the cold and gloominess and we decided to up and move here. I was under the impression that I might be spending those 6 months inside due to the heat but I am pleasantly surprised that has not been the case. Yes it gets hot. Really hot. But it is more like 4 months and I do not have that same trapped feeling. We can go swimming and still get outside. It's a lot easier to throw on flip flops and run to the mall then it is to get everyone bundled up to venture out in the cold. Plus, remember in just 2 hours you can be in flagstaff, Payson or Prescott where it is sometimes 40 degrees cooler! Don't underestimate what just one day of a break can give you as far as your morale. The other 8 months are wonderful. Be safe and realistic about the heat and I'm sure you'll do fine.

7. I absolutely love living in the desert and it has been a real culture shock. Completely different from the 22 years I spent in Montana and it has been a refreshing change. We too lived on a half acre and had a ton of grass that we mowed twice a week in the summer. That got old quickly. We currently have a grass patch and a lot of desert landscaping that does need to be maintained. You do have to work to keep it looking nice but all in all I would say it's easier than mowing the half acre. The majority of homes do not have grass though. While I like the look of the grass and the fact it cools the yard a bit, I would definitely be fine without grass. The desert is beautiful in its own way.
This is very well said and mirrors a lot of my original experience moving here 15 years ago. So much about the warm weather is exaggerated on this website, for the average person it's not that big of a deal and you learn to make a few adjustments, that's about it. Beyond that the desert is stunning and the weather rarely interferes with your plans.

Glad you're liking Arizona!

Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,986,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
So much about the warm weather is exaggerated on this website, for the average person it's not that big of a deal and you learn to make a few adjustments, that's about it.
Naturally some adjustments need to be made, but it is quite a big deal. The heat reeks havoc on the body, home, and cars. Ive had two batteries die on me here in AZ, attributed to the heat. Have you ever had to walk 4 miles in 112 degree heat, carrying a car battery? Luckily I hike a lot and am used to the heat. I think a newbie transplant with that same problem would've just about died on the sidewalk.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:46 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,326,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Naturally some adjustments need to be made, but it is quite a big deal. The heat reeks havoc on the body, home, and cars. Ive had two batteries die on me here in AZ, attributed to the heat. Have you ever had to walk 4 miles in 112 degree heat, carrying a car battery? Luckily I hike a lot and am used to the heat. I think a newbie transplant with that same problem would've just about died on the sidewalk.
Roadside assistance (or jumper cables and hopefully a nice stranger will help you out)! Get a jump, drive to the battery store, and you are on your way.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,986,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Roadside assistance (or jumper cables and hopefully a nice stranger will help you out)! Get a jump, drive to the battery store, and you are on your way.
I had no jumper cables at the time (I bought a set shortly thereafter), and where I was (at the skate park on a weekday), there was literally no one around.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
No, when my batteries have died it's been when I'm parked somewhere and can't start my car, so I've always jumped it and taken it to auto-zone or another similar type of store to swap it out. I'm not sure what would have required you to carry your battery 4 miles in the heat. I have a had a tire blow out but again, didn't have to walk anywhere since I just swapped it with a spare. Anytime my car has fully died roadside and I couldn't make a repair, I've always called AAA or the likes for a tow. Again, not sure why you would walk anywhere in this day and age. A friend of mine had his battery dead after returning from a late night hike last summer, the gates were locked at the preserve and the exits have tire spikes so nobody could get in to jump it but he actually just used Uber to get home and then I took him back in the morning and we swapped it for another battery. It's pretty easy to avoid what you said.

I did however experience a really bad snowstorm in Chicago where people actually had to abandon their cars along Lake Michigan in downtown, the waves from the wind had pushed water on to the roads that froze and created a disaster. On top of that something like 3-4 feet of snow fell within a short period, tow trucks were so backed up and the roads were so bad that some people died after getting stuck. That was a situation where I felt much less control then I ever had here. I avoided driving for the most part but did venture out for food since our hotel did not have anything and I was getting quite hungry. I feel much better covered here then I did during that particular event out there.

I believe this was the storm I was in: 7 Deaths Linked to Blizzard | NBC Chicago

I can give another such example in Boston where nobody was allowed on the roads except emergency vehicles after a Noreaster buried the city in something like 4' of snow. Another situation where people died after becoming stranded in their vehicles and emergency support just couldn't get there in time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area