Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 04:41 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
I have been living in this area for 12 years now. I have not had one single incident where I didn't feel safe. I regularly spend time outside of my community on the canals, trails, and at local restaurants and such and have quite enjoyed it. I'm about a mile or so away from the new proposed light rail station on Baseline and Central and very much look forward to hopping on it for a ride downtown.
Sounds like a lifestyle I live...very active. Hiking. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
People often portray it as unsafe, but it really is just fine. There really isn't a legitimately dangerous area of the Phoenix area.
I just moved back here from the DC area so nothing phases me but I was worried about drug trafficking!

Old 03-22-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It has really built up and changed a lot for the better over the last several years, particularly in the area between 48th St and 24th St. I drive through there on the days I take my car to work, to avoid the freeway. Know a few people who live in the area, including a woman living alone, and they are quite happy there.
Thanks! That is what I wanted to hear! I live in Queen Creek and really like the "newness" of it compared to 25 years ago. The desert here isn't that great though. The commute is bad

Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 PM

296 posts, read 364,493 times
The South Phoenix area is very eclectic in general. Close to downtown you have the warehouses and older less affluent neighborhoods. Closer to downtown you have older and rough looking businesses (especially along Central).

Intermixed in there are the remnants of the old agricultural area including properties that still have livestock and horses. There are many plant and tree nurseries in south phoenix.

There are empty lots scattered around I'm assuming from older properties that were torn down or areas that weren't every developed?

There are a fair amount of newer businesses parks in the area too. There is a scattering of new developments in pockets that look like they were built in the 90s+.

Then you have the newer housing developments you are talking about and the newer businesses along Baseline to support the people living there.

We live in the South Mountain area in an older neighborhood development mostly in the late 70s and early 80s. Our house is fairly close to the 10 and also a Phoenix neighborhood of about the same age.

I'm more familiar with the eastern part of South Phoenix and I've detailed that above.

Some of the areas of South Phoenix feel like they are on the edge including my neighborhood. Houses need work and the neighborhood could get better or worse. But from what I've seen it has definitely gone in the direction of improvement! The houses that are selling are getting flipped or seem to be sold to people that are investing money in fixing them up.

As to crime.. I've seen and experienced some really bad metro areas and nowhere have I seen a neighborhood I'm truly scared of. Some look "sketchy" but don't seem truly dangerous.

Looking at crime data around my area we do get thefts in or around the retail areas.

We had some things (small electronics) stolen in our house. I've never felt unsafe in our neighborhood though. We have though beefed up our security. We do not live in a gated community.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:48 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
As you know, the nice thing about Arizona is its very friendly firearms laws. For me, it goes a long ways for me to feel 'safe' anywhere I live in this state.

After all when seconds count, a 911 call takes many minutes for a response, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area