Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 09:10 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,370,405 times

Advertisements

We have a lot of older people here and lots of long-term-care facilities, assisted living, senior living centers, you name it. Some of our state's central mental health stuff is based here since it's the largest city and state capital.

Given what you're doing now, which sounds like you are some kind of aide helping take care of people in a care settings, there's a lot of that kind of work here and with experience that you already have would think you could get a job as long as you don't bomb the interviews or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 09:55 AM

16 posts, read 12,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
We have a lot of older people here and lots of long-term-care facilities, assisted living, senior living centers, you name it. Some of our state's central mental health stuff is based here since it's the largest city and state capital.

Given what you're doing now, which sounds like you are some kind of aide helping take care of people in a care settings, there's a lot of that kind of work here and with experience that you already have would think you could get a job as long as you don't bomb the interviews or whatever.
Awesome. That is great to know thanks. That field of work has been dying off in Oklahoma. In fact the company and others like it in this town expect to have to close sometime in the next few years due to the state continuing to cut money for those things. So that's good to hear that there are related options there.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:04 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,370,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eckthroi View Post
Awesome. That is great to know thanks. That field of work has been dying off in Oklahoma. In fact the company and others like it in this town expect to have to close sometime in the next few years due to the state continuing to cut money for those things. So that's good to hear that there are related options there.
Yeah, I mean the pay is terrible here and everywhere for that kind of thing but if you're working 130 hours a week I guess it's not so bad making minimum wage. Lots and lots of overtime pay.

And if you decide to pursue a different job, well, this is one of the 15 largest metro areas in the country so plenty of options.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:22 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
Quote:
Hello, I am looking at moving to Arizona just outside of Phoenix on the West side with my family and I have some questions. But first I should probably explain myself a bit

I live in Oklahoma. My family has many allergies. Red Meat/Corn/Soy/Wheat/Dyes/Chocolate. And then subcategories of things like eggs and milk if the animals were fed certain products like soy or corn. So we can't buy food from a store. Even an organic one because of the sprays they use for "preserving" the food. So we drive up to 10 hrs away to get to certain farms as well as an annual trip to California that costs around 10k each time. We can't continue to afford this. In fact their food allergies cost me so much over the last couple years I went into bankruptcy last year over it. So we need a change. We need access to food that isn't sprayed. We also need access to a climate where she can get Asian vegetables that are locally grown (she is Filipino). So that left us with two options Southern Cali or Southern Florida After researching - Florida is not as good of an option food wise as California. Problem is I cant afford either location. I did however figure a solution. If I can find a place 30 min west of Phoenix near HWY 10 I could commute into Phoenix for work and only be around 5 hrs away from access to fish and clean foods in southern Cali. This solution would be totally ideal if I can figure out how to make it work

1. I don't need to live anywhere fancy. I currently live in a 1980 mobile home and know that we will have to be taking a step down as I do not want to continue to work the hours that I do. I want time to spend with my family. (I have worked 130+ hrs a week for the last 7 years) I don't want my two boys (5 and 7) to grow up and I never had time to teach them how to be men. So with that being said I would prefer to find a place where I can hopefully buy a cheap trailer on some land (even just a small plot) I will most likely only have 10-15k to work with. I can do an hour distance for commute if needed - if that opens up anything.

2. With being Catholic (for anyone who is here also) it also means I need the home to be near a location that has a perceptual adoration. My wife and children (and myself when not working) attend Mass daily and adoration in the morning and evening - so access to a perpetual adoration chapel is key.

For anyone who has taken the time to read this. Thank you.
The above edits are the reason why some people are doubting your story. There is a lot of unnecessary and frankly hard-to-believe detail.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:34 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,468,455 times
OP - I said the same thing in your post in Florida.
You could live cheaper in a northern area and have a green house where you could grow food.

You stated a major part of what you want is to work a minimal amount of hours.
Then you pick areas of the country where the COL and wages are skewed and rents are going up.
Single people working full time struggle in the areas you're looking at.

You want warm weather and the ability to provide for your family working part time.

Impossible to do that on the up and up.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:54 AM

770 posts, read 839,509 times
OP have you posted why you can't garden and grow your own fruit and veggies? Any reason why you can't get some chickens? Any reason why you can't hunt and get meat from animals that eat their natural habitat no corn or gmos? Those options would be better and cheaper then what you supposedly do now.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:00 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,468,455 times
Quote:
As I have already stated. I have been done all I can regarding alternate solutions. Second, if growing a garden or buying locally was an option we would be doing it.
In your Florida post you said the reason you need a warm climate is so that you can grow your own food.

Old 03-31-2017, 12:44 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,708,176 times
Quote:
Let me clarify once again. I am not looking for a place to garden. I am not looking for any alternative suggestions regarding my families allergies. I will be driving into California to buy the foods that we need. That works for me. It is a much shorter drive than I am having to do now.
Well played, OP! You started this thread with a big exhaustive explanation about your family's food allergies and needing Asian vegetables for Filipinos. Then a couple sentences about Phoenix and an entire paragraph about Catholicism.

Quote:
I am merely asking for help regarding housing west of Phoenix. To understand what is available for sale there, the commute into Phoenix from there, the job situation in Phoenix. Again, I have never lived in Arizona so I am trying to understand these things before I move there.
Which begs the question, if those were your questions and you WEREN'T looking for anything about food allergies, places to garden (which you were in Florida), Asian vegetables for Filipinos, organic sprays, California, or alternative suggestions, why on earth did you spend 95% of your original post talking about those things instead of asking exactly what you just said above?

Old 03-31-2017, 01:38 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:

I am truly dumfounded at the responses I'm seeing. I did not share my personal information for the purpose of being attacked. I tried to be as honest as I could so that I could receive the best feedback possible. I sure hope this is not indicative of what i will find from the normal population in this area.

Just a friendly suggestion. When you want to quote someone else's post, just click on the QUOTE button of the post you want to quote, and when it pops up in the box, type your response below it. DON'T remove any of the info by the [ ] brackets at either end of the quoted post.

That's much easier, and helps keep the post you are responding to, and your post, separate.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:22 AM

567 posts, read 789,710 times
When did your family start having problems?

What you're describing is neurotoxicity and MCS: Multiple Chemical Sensitivities. I developed mine in '84 after a pesticide spill of an organophosphate (chloryphos- on which Trump this week unbelievably reversed the EPA ban) when I was 7 1/2 months' pregnant. My unborn child developed LD and seizures; I developed seizures later, except they've become far fewer. I was functional for 12 years with support, then nearly died a few times in '96 after another exposure. I function pretty normally now in many respects, although I can't fly or swim in a pool, which is a bummer.

Appropriate medical help is essential for your family or it can get much worse. Regular allergists usually can't help. One of the doctors I'd recommend in the Phoenix area is Dr. Martha Grout, M.D. at the Arizona Center for Advanced Medicine in Scottsdale. I'd also suggest you look into amygdala retraining online with Ashok Gupta. There may be an underlying dental situation that's aggravating the situation, and for that I'd recommend Dr. Peter Meyer of Millennium Dental in Scottsdale. Sounds as though your wife and child need to detox under proper medical supervision and receive supportive care. It is NOT hopeless, but this is a progressive situation. If they can't eat organic products from Whole Foods, there's a real problem. (Rotating foods on a 4-day basis should help with the sensitivities.)

Your heart's in the right place, but you're not going to be able to keep up this driving forever. It'll wear you down, and they need you.

Stay away from Yuma. It's a heavy agriculture area, and it's all sprayed. Many areas of Florida and CA are sprayed, as well.

I never left Phoenix, even when I was at my worst, even though the air here is pretty crappy. We've always had terrific integrative care, even for our pets. I have a friend with extreme sensitivities who lives in Chino Valley, which is in the mountains near Prescott, about 90 minutes from Phoenix. Some people live in the middle of nowhere in a place called Dolan Springs, which is closer to Lake Havasu. (We've got a lot for sale up there.) I think some people with sensitivities live near Tucson (closer to I-8 going into San Diego.) I can't address finding an appropriate place of worship in either place, although because of my condition, most of the time I watch services from my temple online.

Good luck.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-01-2017 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area