Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 05:45 PM

46 posts, read 38,923 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Arizona this year. Going out to AZ this April to check out the various cities. I have family that lives in Arizona and they love it, so we are considering a move there as well. I'm asking for opinions on Goodyear, Buckeye and Surprise as they seem to have some nice homes with prices in our range (would like to stay around $200k). I work from home, so commute is not an issue. Husband took an early retirement, so no commute for him either. No children - well no human kids, we do have two large furry dogs! :-)

We are both around 50 years of age. We prefer the quiet life away from the hussle and bussle of things, but would like to be able to drive to the city if we wanted to get out every once in a while to do something. We do like to dine out a lot, so some local restaurants are important to us. We also need to be in a neighborhood that has fencing between all the houses as we have two dogs. I noticed online a lot of houses have only partial fencing, not always separating the yards fully from one another - don't know if that's just a community thing depending on which community you move to. We pretty much like to keep to ourselves, so we don't need to be in a community that tries to get everyone together and socialize. I guess we are more homebodies.

Any insights on these three cities comparing them and the pros and cons would be appreciated. Or if someone has other suggestions for cities we should also check out, please let me know.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 10:34 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,219,303 times
My vote would be Goodyear, Surprise and Buckeye in that order. Goodyear is easier to get to the rest of the valley and where we live.

Surprise is very nice but too detached for my liking.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
My vote would be Goodyear, Surprise and Buckeye in that order. Goodyear is easier to get to the rest of the valley and where we live.

Surprise is very nice but too detached for my liking.
Thanks for the input. I'm excited about checking out these areas when I am out there in a couple of weeks.

Old 04-01-2017, 09:55 PM

576 posts, read 830,670 times
It really depends on what part of each city you live in.... They all have good areas and bad. I think Surprise has the fewest bad areas, but you really will need to explore them for yourself. You should also consider what amenities you would want close by.

They all have good shopping and restaurants, but is there any thing else that would be important? Entertainment venues? Medical? Freeway access to other areas? etc. Also check into property taxes, crime rates, traffic issues, etc.

You would have more responses posting this in the Phoenix forum. Maybe a moderator will move it for you.

Old 04-02-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
It really depends on what part of each city you live in.... They all have good areas and bad. I think Surprise has the fewest bad areas, but you really will need to explore them for yourself. You should also consider what amenities you would want close by.

They all have good shopping and restaurants, but is there any thing else that would be important? Entertainment venues? Medical? Freeway access to other areas? etc. Also check into property taxes, crime rates, traffic issues, etc.

You would have more responses posting this in the Phoenix forum. Maybe a moderator will move it for you.
Thanks Dewey. As far as amenities, as long as there are some decent restaurants to go out to eat at, we are good. Nothing fancy, but not just fast food places either. Other than that, having a grocery store within 5 miles would be great (that's how far we drive right now to a grocery store, so we are okay with that). Willing to drive to medical/doctor's office when we have to, so that doesn't need to be super close to where we end up living.

Out of these three cities, the property taxes seem to be the best in Buckeye for the houses I have been looking at online. I have been reading about the traffic issues associated with places like Surprise, getting in and out. But again, since we don't have to drive in to an office for work, I'm not too concerned about that. If we have to deal with traffic occasionally when we do venture out some place, we are okay with that since it's not a daily thing for us.

In addition to these Phoenix area cities, we have also been looking down at Oro Valley and Marana since I have family down there as well. However, it appears to be a little more expensive down there with higher property taxes, especially in Oro Valley, which is why were have been focusing more on these Phoenix areas. But I will definitely be checking out the Oro Valley area too when I'm out there this month. Having the scenery of the mountains all around is very appealing to us.

Any input from others would be appreciated. And if the moderator wants to move this to the Phoenix forum as Dewey suggested to get more responses, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2017, 12:11 PM

22 posts, read 20,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHunter View Post
We are considering a move to Arizona this year. Going out to AZ this April to check out the various cities. I have family that lives in Arizona and they love it, so we are considering a move there as well. I'm asking for opinions on Goodyear, Buckeye and Surprise as they seem to have some nice homes with prices in our range (would like to stay around $200k). I work from home, so commute is not an issue. Husband took an early retirement, so no commute for him either. No children - well no human kids, we do have two large furry dogs! :-)

We are both around 50 years of age. We prefer the quiet life away from the hussle and bussle of things, but would like to be able to drive to the city if we wanted to get out every once in a while to do something. We do like to dine out a lot, so some local restaurants are important to us. We also need to be in a neighborhood that has fencing between all the houses as we have two dogs. I noticed online a lot of houses have only partial fencing, not always separating the yards fully from one another - don't know if that's just a community thing depending on which community you move to. We pretty much like to keep to ourselves, so we don't need to be in a community that tries to get everyone together and socialize. I guess we are more homebodies.

Any insights on these three cities comparing them and the pros and cons would be appreciated. Or if someone has other suggestions for cities we should also check out, please let me know.

Thanks!
You should look into Oro Valley, I am. Hard. Here is a tool that might help you decide where is best for you.

I am using it EXCLUSIVELY to make my decision.

Arizona Demographics

Old 04-02-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clips222 View Post
You should look into Oro Valley, I am. Hard. Here is a tool that might help you decide where is best for you.

I am using it EXCLUSIVELY to make my decision.

Arizona Demographics
Thanks. I am definitely going to check out Oro Valley when I'm out there this month as I have a cousin that lives there and I will be visiting him. Starting out up in Phoenix with another cousin that lives in Buckeye and then making my way down to Oro Valley. I really like the view of the mountain in Oro Valley so I'm looking forward to checking out the surrounding area there.

Old 04-02-2017, 03:47 PM

22 posts, read 20,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZHunter View Post
Thanks. I am definitely going to check out Oro Valley when I'm out there this month as I have a cousin that lives there and I will be visiting him. Starting out up in Phoenix with another cousin that lives in Buckeye and then making my way down to Oro Valley. I really like the view of the mountain in Oro Valley so I'm looking forward to checking out the surrounding area there.
Oro is beautiful. So far, nothing else compares to that landscape. My only concern is- the critters. There are many. I am not one who likes to wear shoes, so I don't know how well I would like that, but I just can't get past that landscape...

I was born in Tucson, but will avoid it at this point in my life. Raised in Phoenix, moved away 20+ years ago.

I will buy in an area settled with no new construction to lessen the roaming of scorpions. They, out of everything else, concern me the most. Not worried about the Javelina, snakes, cockroaches, etc. Mildly concerned about the Tarantula Hawks. Something you cannot 'spray' for.

Have to sell my home here first though...

Old 04-02-2017, 07:33 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,274,564 times
Quote:
Oro is beautiful. So far, nothing else compares to that landscape. My only concern is- the critters. There are many. I am not one who likes to wear shoes, so I don't know how well I would like that, but I just can't get past that landscape...

I was born in Tucson, but will avoid it at this point in my life. Raised in Phoenix, moved away 20+ years ago.

I will buy in an area settled with no new construction to lessen the roaming of scorpions. They, out of everything else, concern me the most. Not worried about the Javelina, snakes, cockroaches, etc. Mildly concerned about the Tarantula Hawks. Something you cannot 'spray' for.

Oh, good gawd. I've never heard of a tarantula hawk. I looked it up and they look really freaky and have a bad sting. Ick! We do have scorpions in Texas and I've been stung several times by one. They totally give me the creeps.

Old 04-03-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:

Okay, so that was one question I had, does Oro/Tucson really have more of the creepy critters than up near Phoenix? Or will I be battling them no matter where in AZ I live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area