Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 09:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
I expect to see these "beauties" under the lip of the cool deck again this year since at least one has been there at the start of every summer for the last 3 years. This one was on the wall in my kitchen about three years ago. It was too big to just smack with a newspaper (didn't want to just p**s it off!) so I shot it.
Attachment 15958 Steve, what kind is it???

just kidding, but it was huge and the thought crossed my mind!
Look into/Google the Kukulcania genus, might belong to it. In any case those arent harmful whatsoever. The only spiders in AZ that are harmful are the western black widow (Latrodectus hesperus) and the desert recluse (Loxoceles deserta).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy38 View Post
That'd scare the **** outta me for a minute.. then i'd catch it, observe it... then burn it in a fire.
Then watch the other bug populations in your area soar (ie mosquitos, cockroaches, even scorpions). Leave the spiders alone, the one in the pic is completely and utterly harmless. The spiders dispatch pretty much anything that cross their paths that they can subdue. Ive seen spiders on my FIL's walls (outside) eating everything from moths to cockroaches to other spiders! Your best bet is to just leave em alone. If there are cockroaches around, the spiders will provide FREE roach extermination.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 AM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
When I was a kid in rural (desert) Arizona, I remember sometimes seeing huge (like 6-8 inches, I think) centipedes. Very colorful, with orange, yellow and black. I don't know if centipedes are venomous, but they sure were scary looking.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:14 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,790,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Then watch the other bug populations in your area soar (ie mosquitos, cockroaches, even scorpions). Leave the spiders alone, the one in the pic is completely and utterly harmless. The spiders dispatch pretty much anything that cross their paths that they can subdue. Ive seen spiders on my FIL's walls (outside) eating everything from moths to cockroaches to other spiders! Your best bet is to just leave em alone. If there are cockroaches around, the spiders will provide FREE roach extermination.
Thanks Steve. The one in the house, he had to die. Sorry, but I'll take care of ALL pest control on the inside thakyouverymuch! Besides, there's only room for one big ugly creature inside the house and that's me. The ones in and around the pool I leave alone or chase it away when my wife is around.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
When I was a kid in rural (desert) Arizona, I remember sometimes seeing huge (like 6-8 inches, I think) centipedes. Very colorful, with orange, yellow and black. I don't know if centipedes are venomous, but they sure were scary looking.
No spiders in AZ are that big except the tarantulas (Aphonopelma genus). Even those are quite hard to find at 6". The yellow and black spiders youre referring to sound like they belong to the Argiope genus (pronounced are-guy-o-pee). Theyre completely harmless despite their appearance.

And yes, the centipedes are venomous, but not considered dangerous. Expect some severe localised pain and swelling, thats about it. No centipedes have ever killed anyone in the world. There is a unconfirmed death in SE Asia, where a baby girl was reportedly bit on the head and died, but that hasnt been confirmed 100%.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Thanks Steve. The one in the house, he had to die. Sorry, but I'll take care of ALL pest control on the inside thakyouverymuch! Besides, there's only room for one big ugly creature inside the house and that's me. The ones in and around the pool I leave alone or chase it away when my wife is around.
No prob. I actually collected the black variety of that spider (called Kukulcania arizonica) up near the Superstitions and still have it to this day. I collected her over 3 years ago. They make amazingly bizarre webs that are extremely strong. The spider itself is harmless, and has a velvet appearance to them, especially on the black ones.

Here she is:

Old 03-10-2008, 12:58 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,844,534 times
Steve, it was actually the centipides that were 6" in length. Glad they aren't too dangerous. The giant ones were quite an amazing sight as I recall, with all those legs moving along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
No spiders in AZ are that big except the tarantulas (Aphonopelma genus). Even those are quite hard to find at 6". The yellow and black spiders youre referring to sound like they belong to the Argiope genus (pronounced are-guy-o-pee). Theyre completely harmless despite their appearance.

And yes, the centipedes are venomous, but not considered dangerous. Expect some severe localised pain and swelling, thats about it. No centipedes have ever killed anyone in the world. There is a unconfirmed death in SE Asia, where a baby girl was reportedly bit on the head and died, but that hasnt been confirmed 100%.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelinWA View Post
Steve, it was actually the centipides that were 6" in length. Glad they aren't too dangerous. The giant ones were quite an amazing sight as I recall, with all those legs moving along...
Yep, they can get up to 8" or so in AZ. Ive seen several juveniles, but never the coveted adults. If you want more info on them Google "Scolopendra heros heros" or "Scolopendra heros arizonensis". They can pack a punch and send you to the ER easily, but death? Not gonna happen unless youre SEVERELY allergic to their venom. I know a guy online who was bitten by his pet, and he put his hand into near-boiling water to alleviate the pain, and he said the boiling water felt much better than the bite he rcvd. Just be careful around them.

Ok all, DONT get freaked out! They wont kill you, but dang are they impressive as adults! WOOT!!!
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...g_of_Heros.jpg

Old 03-14-2008, 01:40 PM

510 posts, read 1,459,943 times
Thanks for those pics, I am itchy all over.

So, are you guys telling me there is NOT kind of residual spray that will kill a scorpion on contact (or very soon after) that I could spray on my closet walls...??

I see a spray up here called "Hot Shot" that says it works for spiders and scorpions. Has not impressed me.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:28 PM

338 posts, read 1,624,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panks View Post
I just need to know 3 things...

1. How far into the urban areas do the coyotes and mountain lions go? Where is the closest they have the been sighted?

2. Would it be safe to let my cats go in and out of an enclosed back yard through a cat door 24/7?

3. How can you keep all the dangerous animals like that (except scorpions) out of a back yard? (height/type of wall)
Well first of all. Don't be scared. Just be aware of your surroundings.

I have lived in Phoenix for almost 29 years and in most of the places I have lived, I hardly ever saw anything creepy. Now for the past 7 months that I have lived backed up to a mountain and there are mountains surounding my home, I have had 5 scorpions, one in bed and it stung me! Now this is the first time I have been stung in 29 years so I would say those are good odds. We also have javelinas that walk right by our living room window and we always hear coyotes very close by. We also see brown snakes from time to time, ENORMOUS owls and hawks too. * I am in the city too- we do not live far out at all* I live near a natural mountain preserve which is why I live with all the desert creatures.

My advice to you would be to not let your cats roam in your backyard unsupervised but I am very cautious with my little dogs. Some might say extreme but they are my 'kids' so I don't care what anyone else thinks.

and YES- coyote can jump a six foot block wall if it really wants to. It is very possible- I would not say usual but definitely possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area