Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 02:01 PM

68 posts, read 68,518 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. If you can tell by my username, I'm currently in the Detroit area-- relocating to Phoenix in just over a year. I'd like to get prepared by getting as much info as possible. I'm 20 years old, a hospitality professional, and have a weird obsession with real estate (commercial and residential real estate dots my resume). I'm a subscriber of PHX biz journal, and they published an interesting Crane Watch map that shows all projects announced, under construction, etc. Talk about a building boom!

Being in hospitality, I was originally planning on moving to Miami for the beaches, the weather and the culture, but I decided I'm too introverted for a party city, and I have family in the PHX area. I visited Phoenix for the first time in November 2016, and I don't think I can stress how easily I fell in love!

Here's crane watch: http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/feature/crane-watch/

With Phoenix on such a come up, I see rapid development of urban areas like Scottsdale, Kierland, Tempe, and midtown/downtown PHX. It also seems like this won't be slowing down too soon; PHX is gaining almost 1,500 people a week! I read all the time about 'infill' development, however, with all of this growth, is the city continuing its tradition of growing out, or is it growing in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 03:01 PM

189 posts, read 230,974 times
Default Welcome!

Welcome to PHX!

There's been an influx of residents moving back to the core and lots of infill projects in and around downtown/midtown areas. One of the most exciting projects thus far to break ground is Block 23, which is bringing downtown its first grocery store, creative office space, and 300+ residential units. There are a couple of other projects in the pipeline that will result in additional cranes in the downtown PHX area.

If real estate/development is your thing, I recommend you frequent Skyscraper Forum. Great stuff there and like minded individuals (less negativity there too lol):

Southwest - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 04-13-2017, 03:07 PM

594 posts, read 699,224 times
I strongly suggest you move to your 1st choice Miami. And if that doesn't work t
then you would have gotten it out of your mind.
Phoenix isn't going anywhere as you well noted.
Too many people move to their 2nd choice and then complain to know end.
Phoenix, AZ is a 1st choice.
We play 2nd fiddle to no one.
We have too much to offer for anyone's 2nd choice.
It's like THAT !

Old 04-13-2017, 03:16 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,150,271 times
Hmm...I wouldn't say residents are "moving back" to downtown. That would imply that those particular residents lived there in the first place. I would say that people moving to AZ and looking for an "urban" environment are pushing the need/desire for urban living spaces. Well...and ASU's Phoenix campus is down there...lots of businesses...etc.

Arizonans tend to take development with a grain of salt...our market tends to run in cycles so today's boom is tomorrow's bust. I don't think you will see any high-rises going into Scottsdale or the Keirland area of Scottsdale any time soon. If I remember correctly they still have a 5 story limit on buildings and the people that bought up there, bought for the views of the desert...not some nasty building. Tempe and Phoenix are going to have the most development as both are working on infill. I mentioned this to a friend years ago that home builders should be looking at infill in Phoenix proper rather than heading to the outskirts but the land prices were prohibitive for SFHs. Well...that and the school districts for those families with kids, with a few exceptions, are horrendous.

Last edited by KurtAZ; 04-13-2017 at 03:28 PM..

Old 04-13-2017, 03:28 PM

Do you honestly believe that all the people moving here recently and transplants from all over California and the mid-west moved to Phoenix for its "urban environment". No, these are established families looking for a lower COL and getting more money for their homes in the suburbs. Sure, out of town millennials are probably looking for something urban but the majority are existing residents moving back to the urban core (tempe, old town included) for entertainment options, tech jobs and other creative start-ups, and empty nesters selling their 3K sq foot home in Scottsdale and buying places downtown. I still believe "moving back" is appropriate because of the sprawl/urban flight that occurred in the 90s. These same residents that fled to the suburbs, I would say most are moving back. I guess it's all semantics

These are the people I meet and speak to on a consistent basis every weekend.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:33 PM

No, I wasn't saying that...I was saying that if you are looking for an "urban" environment, these are the locations you look at. Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Scottsdale, Glendale etc. don't have downtowns with high-rises. They are suburbia. I, personally, don't know anyone that would consider moving to downtown Phoenix or Tempe. Sure it would be convenient being closer to the office but...that is the only plus.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
No, I wasn't saying that...I was saying that if you are looking for an "urban" environment, these are the locations you look at. Chandler, Gilbert, Mesa, Scottsdale, Glendale etc. don't have downtowns with high-rises. They are suburbia. I, personally, don't know anyone that would consider moving to downtown Phoenix or Tempe. Sure it would be convenient being closer to the office but...that is the only plus.
Each his own. I own in Roosevelt Historic District and work in downtown. I walk to work almost everyday and enjoy all the amenities that downtown has to offer and I kid you not when there's always some sort of activity or festival going on. My fiance and I walk to our favorite restaurants and bars and as we have also DBacks Season Tickets, that's a short Uber ride away ($5) or 15-min walk. We are big into live music and concerts so gotta love having Crescent Ballroom at our backdoor. Sure, as our family continues to grow, we'll probably look for something bigger along Central Corridor close enough to downtown or Light Rail. We just don't see ourselves moving to the suburbs.

That's the joy of living in such a cool city like Phoenix. You can have the fun and lively downtown Phoenix experience or you can live out in suburbia which has its own perks.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:51 PM

And that is fine...I am not arguing with you...all I am saying is that when I have talked with people at work (my office is on Central), clients, friends, etc. and the topic of places to live or areas of the city people want to live in comes up, I have never heard anyone say "Oh, I just can't wait to move downtown". Your experience is obviously different.

The fact that you are living in the Phoenix Elementary District...whose schools average a "C" on the AZ Dept of Education Report Cards would give me pause to raise a kid in that area. You can look at Private or Charter schools, there are plenty around, but the serving school district is a huge deterrent for anyone with kids.

Everyone has different priorities and that is what is driving the development in downtown and Tempe. Students, empty-nesters, singles and couples without kids...it makes sense. You guys start having kids and a whole different set of criteria becomes important.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:42 PM

All fair and relevant points. My preference has always been private over public, no matter whether I live in Tempe or Chandler. I strongly feel private will offer a better education, hence, I'm not "bound" to where i can live simply because of a school district. There are tons of families here in downtown in and around the historic neighborhoods. One can make due and it's a different way of life.

All my co-workers are jealous of my 5-10 walk "commute" as most of them live in Chander/Gilbert and further in the EV. I would shoot myself in the face if I had to sit in traffic 35-45 mins each day lol definitely not for me.

But I digress and back to the OP...it's a wonderful city and you can definitely choose the lifestyle that's appealing to you.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:01 PM

68 posts, read 68,518 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks all for the responses!

I know that PHX isn't necessarily known as a walkable, unique city (thinking along the lines of an Austin or Seattle), but there's just something about it to me! Mixing those just right walkable/artsy areas with perfect weather and gorgeous scenery is something most cities just can't compete with. Not to mention a low cost of living. I also read an article about a $2 billion Ritz Carlton hotel, residences, and shopping district under construction in Scottsdale. I love it!

Throwing in that you're a few short hours from LA/SD (or a $99 plane ticket, making going through security longer than your flight), Vegas, and Mexico, it's kind of in a perfect location.

The only place that comes close with amenities like these in my eyes is Texas-- but way too humid and southern for me, y'all.

Forgive me, but I have a heightened fear of creepy critters. I was reading an article about scorpion season on AZCentral today, but I feel like (for some really crazy reason) that those things won't scare me as much as the wasps, fat mosquitos, and other humidity bugs do (I'm more scared of quantity). Are scorpions a problem? What about other desert critters? I've heard stories of those who have been stung/bitten and were shocked they lived to tell the tale, but others will say they barely knew these critters existed.

Side note- Don't scorpions have a reputation for being hard to actually kill? I have a hard time letting critters make their way into my personal space without killing them.

Last edited by DTWtoPHX; 04-13-2017 at 07:28 PM.. Reason: Adding Ritz Carlton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area