Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 12:52 PM

50 posts, read 52,962 times

Advertisements

Hi all - I am a 60 y.o. gay senior strongly considering moving to Phoenix. I am retired but volunteer at an animal shelter here in Denver about 25 hours/week working with dogs (I especially like working with Pitbulls). In off hours I enjoy hiking and bike riding. I would want to do all of the same in Phoenix. The big Maricopa County shelter is just west of downtown.
I would purchase a home with yard and would live there all year.
I am not a 'gay lifestyle' person and am not interested in a Sun City or Leisure World environment. If it matters my politics are liberal/libertarian. Any suggestions for where to consider and where not? Input is most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 01:28 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,177,644 times
Actually, your only limit will be your budget and housing requirements. If you plan on sheltering animals at your home you will need to check to make sure that your community (HOA, CC&Rs) allows for multiple animals. Many people that get involved with animal rescue start out only having 1 or 2, but quickly learn the need is so great that they take on more than they should.

You mention the west valley facility which to me sounds as if you are talking about the Animal Care & Control west facility. They also have a facility in Tempe. Both are run by Maricopa County. You could also check out the Arizona Humane Society which has facilities in North Phoenix and Mesa. In addition, there are numerous privately run animal shelters such as HALO and SPCA. Do an internet search on Phoenix animal shelters and you will find many that could be near your new home.

As for your political leanings. This is still America. Last time I checked you had a right to decide whatever viewpoints you choose.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:05 AM

Thank you AZJoe. Those are good suggestions!

Old 05-08-2017, 06:44 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,049,167 times
OP, Phoenix isn't as liberal as metro Denver, but I sense a real "live and let live" culture here. Best luck.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:40 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,298,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgl77 View Post
Hi all - I am a 60 y.o. gay senior strongly considering moving to Phoenix. I am retired but volunteer at an animal shelter here in Denver about 25 hours/week working with dogs (I especially like working with Pitbulls). In off hours I enjoy hiking and bike riding. I would want to do all of the same in Phoenix. The big Maricopa County shelter is just west of downtown.
I would purchase a home with yard and would live there all year.
I am not a 'gay lifestyle' person and am not interested in a Sun City or Leisure World environment. If it matters my politics are liberal/libertarian. Any suggestions for where to consider and where not? Input is most welcome.
There are a LOT of animal rescues that could use your help besides MCAC (Maricopa County Animal Control). They are located all over the valley. Where you live would depend a lot on budget. Hiking and bike riding would be plentiful pretty much year round, you just need to adjust the hours to the weather (earlier in the AM in the summer, etc)

Do a Google search of Pitbull Rescue Phoenix and you will find several listings, as well as all kinds of other dogs groups. Phoenix is a very dog friendly city with a lot of dog friendly patios.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pitb...rescue+phoenix

Old 05-13-2017, 11:18 PM

4 posts, read 3,737 times
I have several gay friends and they like the central/north Phoenix area between the 51 and 17 but 5+ miles north of downtown. When I say they like this area it is because there are many like-minded folks that live there. Also, great hiking in this area. I REALLY encourage you to drive around a LOT, because you might hate one area and drive 3 miles and LOVE that area. Or it could be 10 or 20 miles, just depends on what you like.

Old 05-14-2017, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the advice! I was just there for 2.5 days and drove just under 700 miles in the rental car! I learned a lot. North Central Phoenix say Indian School to Northern looked good, although the prices for some of the larger homes with big yards are nearly Denver prices!

Old 01-09-2018, 03:18 AM

383 posts, read 635,072 times
My husband and I will be looking in Central Phoenix (Midtown) this weekend. We have been there before but never really looked in Midtown. We are very excited and hope we like what we see. We are looking for a condo with some amenities.
This is the part of town I think we would feel comfortable in. I love the urban vibe...been in the suburbs enough, now it's time for a change.

Old 01-09-2018, 03:35 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,056,523 times
Me and my Gay partner bought a house in the Fairview Historic District, near Encanto Park, in 1993, and our lifestyle was never an issue to our neighbors, not one Gay neighbor. That was over 2 decades ago, and given the continual acceptance of the Gay lifestyle, it shouldn't matter where you live in Phoenix.

We knew, when we moved there, the Coronado district was the Gayest in the north Phoenix, but we weren't interested in living in supposedly Gay neighborhood as we both loved diversity, and we both fell in love with Encanto Park and the proximity to our house. Perfect place to walk our leash-trained ferrets.

Old 01-09-2018, 04:59 AM

383 posts, read 635,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Me and my Gay partner bought a house in the Fairview Historic District, near Encanto Park, in 1993, and our lifestyle was never an issue to our neighbors, not one Gay neighbor. That was over 2 decades ago, and given the continual acceptance of the Gay lifestyle, it shouldn't matter where you live in Phoenix.

We knew, when we moved there, the Coronado district was the Gayest in the north Phoenix, but we weren't interested in living in supposedly Gay neighborhood as we both loved diversity, and we both fell in love with Encanto Park and the proximity to our house. Perfect place to walk our leash-trained ferrets.
Thank you for that. We were just thinking that where we live now in Florida, its at least
30 minutes to an hour to travel to friends. That's because we are in the burbs of Tampa. We are looking
To make new friends and hopefully not travel long to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area