Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 08:49 AM

47 posts, read 99,249 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've read a bunch of the threads about scorpions, black widows, tarantulas, etc and accept the reality that they will live among us in AZ - or actual, we live among them.

But my question is how you've found this kind of wildlife affects how you deal with your toddlers/kids playing outside? I've seen a couple posts of people saying "now I'll never go barefoot outside again"... do you find it's that bad?

I currently live in California, so I'm familiar with black widows, and as long as you're not "digging around in a woodpile" it's never really affected how I enjoy my backyard and outdoors - but I still go barefoot outside.

How cautious do you find you have to be when it comes to kids/pets with the additional insect/arachnid wildlife?

Thanks,
J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 09:02 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,308,771 times
I have had a lot of black widows on my property lately, most found when cleaning up the yard after the winter. There was about 4 or 5 in my pool shed (all females! EEK!) and one that had moved in under the lid of my pool skimmer. Not a nice surprise when opening that up! I let most spiders be but black widows I don’t mess with because I have small dogs that like to stick their noses in corners. They probably wouldn’t get bitten but why chance it? Those spiders are too venomous. All that I encountered were sprayed.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 AM

770 posts, read 838,862 times
Black widows are a reality, scorpions are hit and miss trantulas are not really a reality. Don't forget rattlesnakes, coyotes, javalinas, bobcats, bats as well.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:39 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,912,822 times
I've lived in phoenix going on 4 years now and have yet to see a single scorpion or rattlesnake. I have seen javelina, coyotes and bobcats but those were all on my adventures around the state.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:44 AM

I haven’t seen a scorpion since I moved out of my first apartment here, which was at the base of a small foothill. In my first year here I had 3 or 4 scorpions in my place. I have seen a couple of rattlesnakes, both when out hiking. One I heard it before I saw it. Those don’t bother me so much as if you give them plenty of room it’s fine, they literally are more afraid of you than you are of it. Scorpions seem to WANT to attack you! I’ve seen them run AT me rather than run away like other creepy crawlies

Old 05-23-2017, 10:01 AM

47 posts, read 99,249 times
Like I said, I completely understand the fact that we'll run into these things, whether beast or bug...

I'm just trying to wrap my head around living with them with kids... I'm not an overprotective parent, but obviously want them to be safe when playing outside.

We have a couple dogs, so that helps with the larger beasts, but I don't want to be all paranoid that my 3 year old can't go run in the backyard and play.

Make sense?

Old 05-23-2017, 10:29 AM

I don't have children other than the 4 legged furry kind, but I don't see any reason why you should not be safe letting a 3 year old out in the yard with supervision.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:08 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,379,211 times
8 years

2 scorpions
1 rattlesnake
1 tarantula

Tons of black widows and recluses if I wanted to see them.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:37 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,749,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
8 years

2 scorpions
1 rattlesnake
1 tarantula

Tons of black widows and recluses if I wanted to see them.
37 years - In my home or yard:

1 scorpion
0 snakes of any kind
0 tarantulas
lots of black windows, but never inside

Have never encountered a rattlesnake but don't hike much.

At a friend's house in Catalina Foothills near Tucson, saw 2 tarantulas, one outside, another inside. They are supposedly harmless but damned unsettling.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:36 PM

770 posts, read 838,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lylelovett View Post
Like I said, I completely understand the fact that we'll run into these things, whether beast or bug...

I'm just trying to wrap my head around living with them with kids... I'm not an overprotective parent, but obviously want them to be safe when playing outside.

We have a couple dogs, so that helps with the larger beasts, but I don't want to be all paranoid that my 3 year old can't go run in the backyard and play.

Make sense?
Nope, millions of kids including myself have somehow managed to grow up here and survived. Kids are not these fragile things and are not really that special since billions have managed to survive in worse conditions then living in the first world. Teach your kids commonsense not be over protected helicopter parents like it seems everyone is nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area