Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 10:50 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,795,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Sorry I said a couple but quoted your post not one of theirs.... when your two other Philly posters did the Phoenix pic as a desert and video of a entry drug cartel city. So the Philly as a ghetto city started. Them pics hurt Philly a hellova lot more in this tat for tat defense. But some Rittenhouse Square or Queens Village pics could help again.....

If they stick to positives to boast for your city and not negative on theirs? The backlash probably would not happen back. That was my point. Not your pictures sorry.
Obviously only a couple Philly posters are interested in coming to this thread and I see no Phoenix area posters on the similar thread on the Philly board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 11:17 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,757,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
I notice you have contended multiple times, that Phoenix's low sprawl was purposely planned, as if Phoenix made a bold decision to depart from the eastern cities’ development pattern and to forge ahead with sprawling development. No, Phoenix’s low-density is a just a product of the car-centric era in which it exploded in population.

In addition, you mention frequently that the Valley is to be commended for not shoving everything in 1 small area. It’s almost like you think that Phoenix is unique in that regard. Well, other big cities, including, Philadelphia, also do not have everything shoved in 1 small area. Philadelphia has its Center City, the business and cultural hub of the region. But they also have other vibrant nodes of urbanity and vibrancy surrounding their downtown and in different parts of the city such as Northern Liberties, Fishtown, and Germantown. In addition, They have many older suburbs with vibrant downtowns and charming main streets, similar in size to the walkable areas of Tempe and Scottsdale, such as West Chester, Ardmore, and Media.

IMO, urban, dense, charming, dynamic districts are not one of Phoenix’s strength, but that hasn’t stopped the area from experiencing massive growth and offering a great quality of life for people who don't care about the urban stuff.
Do you not know Phoenix's history well? Are you not familiar with the concept of urban villages that the entire city was based on? This plan is well documented and anyone with an interest in planning in Phoenix has studied and leaned about it well. Sure Philly has other urban nodes but it's not nearly as defiined along these lines as Phoenix. I'm sure the autocebtric lifestyle during our coming of age was a big reason for this concept, nobody is denying that. But Phoenix did embrace this plan in response to the demand of middle class citizens and its worked quite well.

You can read more about it here, if you care to know.
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/1...nalCode=rurb20

What's funny to me is the assumption of folks like you that there is no urban options here, of course there are plenty of urban environments to live in here, we've got a solid 5 or 6 urban nodes that can support a live/walk/play lifestyle with much less need for vehicle transportation. I know because I'm one of them I commute by bike regularly to work and have an endlessly expanding urban environment accessible without a vehicle. I'm located within walking distance of a train that connects me to other urban nodes here in Phoenix.

So if your argument is that Phoenix is somehow lacking in this department what is it? We've got a thriving downtown that's growing by leaps and bounds, it's full of mueseums, art galleries, great restaraunts, performing arts, and the largest public university in the nation. You don't think this is vibrant and dynamic? Is that why the likes of uber, Double Dutch, T&N, Quicken, State Farm, Amazon, ADP, and many others are bringing jobs to these cores? We're currently slated to add 5,000 residential units to our downtown core and Tempe's urban area is blowing up too.

Please enlighten me as to what we're lacking here? Is it just because our core is smaller? We have 20,000 people living in our core versus what 45,000 in center city? So what? I don't see a big difference honestly. If you want urban it's here for you, if you want suburban almost no other city does it better; due to our planning we enjoy light traffic by comparison to other cities of this size. And we're physically sitting in one of the most unique environments in the country, another aspect I really like about Phoenix.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:56 PM

369 posts, read 271,654 times
Default I think you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post

So......What's YOUR problem with the racial makeup?

See the city I know has a variety of blacks, whites, and browns.....Being African American, Jamaican, Ethiopian, Congolese, Nigerian, Trinidadian, West Indian, Ghanaians, etc; Italian, Irish, German, Jewish, Russian, Greek, etc;.
My neighborhood like many others especially in section is made up of Puerto Ricans, African Americans, Jamaicans, Brazilians, Dominicans, Mexicans, Germans,Irish, Korean and Cambodians.. Further up the Blvd are Indians, Chinese, Albanians, Arabs, etc;...

Puleease stop with your foolishness.
Philadelphia is majority black and the city is one of the most segregated in the whole country. When you have a majority-minority population consisting mostly of poor people living in their own hoods so to speak you have what Philadelphia is made up of and that's why most of the city is ghettoish.
http://statisticalatlas.com/place/Pe...-and-Ethnicity
Philly Is The 4th Most Segregated Big City in the Country - Philadelphia Magazine

Here's some more lovely reading for you about how dangerous Philadelphia can be.
Being White in Philly | Philadelphia magazine

I'm not being foolish, just posting facts my dear. Phoenix isn't perfect but I'll gladly live here over the slum-ridden city of "brotherly love", hahahaha what a joke. At least the races mix well here in Phoenix and aren't segregated. Ghettos are few and far between.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:58 PM

369 posts, read 271,654 times
Default I posted on the Philadelphia board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Obviously only a couple Philly posters are interested in coming to this thread and I see no Phoenix area posters on the similar thread on the Philly board.
My posts were deleted from that thread and I was sent a warning about being "racist." Give me a freaking break! Obviously some people in Philadelphia can't take criticism and are offended by facts.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:02 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,221,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synapse View Post
Also we're going to need some steps to run up and then pump our fists in the air for no apparent reason.
"Yo buddy, you got a problem with that?" Lol.

Last edited by chessgeek; 06-07-2017 at 03:13 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 03:27 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,795,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
My posts were deleted from that thread and I was sent a warning about being "racist." Give me a freaking break! Obviously some people in Philadelphia can't take criticism and are offended by facts.
Really. I didn't know that. Well, tbh, the mod on our board does not live in the Phila metro area and makes, imo, miss-guided deletions. On our board there is plenty of home ground criticism in various threads, btw. On the other hand there are many terrific things going on in Philly nowadays. It's not as grim as you are trying to make it. Look at newer articles of the Philadelphia Magazine or the philly curbed site to see what I mean. Google Cory Popp. He's done some very nice video short featurettes of the city. The one I especially like is Philadelphia in Motion.

Philadelphians are pretty honest and straight forward about the problems we do have. We're not in denial about them.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:24 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,982,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post

Philly is adding skyscrapers like its going out of style. We're just adding more homes and lame 10 story apartments. C'mon, Phoenix!
http://www.imagicdigital.com/email/n...ine-aerial.jpg
First, let me congratulate Phoenix on becoming the 5th most populous city in the nation.

It's an achievement. If Phoenix was not a great city, it would not be growing the way it is.

On the other hand - I guess as a consolation prize - Philly is completing construction on a "super tall" skyscraper (the Comcast Technology Center, or CTC Tower) that will be technically the tallest skyscraper in the US outside the cities of New York and Chicago.

Old 06-07-2017, 04:59 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,902,533 times
Quote:
Philadelphia is majority black and the city is one of the most segregated in the whole country. When you have a majority-minority population consisting mostly of poor people living in their own hoods so to speak you have what Philadelphia is made up of and that's why most of the city is ghettoish.
Philly Is The 4th Most Segregated Big City in the Country - Philadelphia Magazine

Here's some more lovely reading for you about how dangerous Philadelphia can be.

I'm not being foolish, just posting facts my dear. Phoenix isn't perfect but I'll gladly live here over the slum-ridden city of "brotherly love", hahahaha what a joke. At least the races mix well here in Phoenix and aren't segregated. Ghettos are few and far between.

Uh...NO...I don't know what you're talking about.. Blacks aren't the majority in the city..Close but not majority. That BS article about being white in Philly was utter hyped up nonsense from Philly Mag....2013

"OLD NEWS." I gave you the demographics of the city section I reside in Northeast., and I'm knowing South Philly, Logan, Hunting Park, University City, Olney, Wynnfield, Mt. Airy, Overbrook Park, Fairmount, Springarden, and a few other areas I frequent are rather diverse... I grew up there and have seen the various changes the city has gone through...Mostly good, some bad, put steadily improving and still getting stronger and growing. Philly's not shrinking just not growing in the numbers as Phoenix at this time. For many the cheaper housing and warmer climate is going to be a draw... I know of plenty of Angelenos as well as Bay Area residents who've relocated there over the years, as well as Houston... They have their opinions and miss home but they like the affordable cost. (Their words not mine)

I never said jack-crap about Phoenix nor about the Black residents who reside there... You have a whole nother issue going on..."I think YOU KNOW what I'm talking about." There are thousands of upper middle, middle, and working class blacks and latinos in the city who are doing well...I'm one of many and associate with many more... Can YOU post some LEGIT STATS from Phoenix? I'd like to see them and a bit of that mingling you keep speaking about. (Side Note: I have a few race mingling stories to share..., that probably won't surprise you.)

As far as those photos of busted hoods, those pretty much seem to be in North Philly (Our version of the Bronx ) also, they're a like 6 years old..... As someone who likes to run and Bike, I get around the town, and know that there's many places that I can run or bike in 30-40 blocks in each direction and the neighborhoods are just fine in more than a few parts of the city I run/bike in... and when I'm not biking or visiting I am working in various locations as a Photog/Videographer. Your posted pics from Google Maps don't tell much of a story....I have hundreds of Photos in which there's a few I'll post.....anyway how about YOU post some from Phoenix....That YOU've shot yourself? Not from Google.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:05 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,902,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Really. I didn't know that. Well, tbh, the mod on our board does not live in the Phila metro area and makes, imo, miss-guided deletions. On our board there is plenty of home ground criticism in various threads, btw. On the other hand there are many terrific things going on in Philly nowadays. It's not as grim as you are trying to make it. Look at newer articles of the Philadelphia Magazine or the philly curbed site to see what I mean. Google Cory Popp. He's done some very nice video short featurettes of the city. The one I especially like is Philadelphia in Motion.

Philadelphians are pretty honest and straight forward about the problems we do have. We're not in denial about them.
Yeah...She posted that same driv in the Philly forums....Then it was gone. I thought she deleted it. I'm guessing the mods got to it for some reason... Didn't bother me much., due to the fact that we always get the SAME crap from people "Slum Blocks, Rudeness, Crazy Sports Fans & Santa Claus getting hit with snowballs ... Anyway.., funny thing is I haven't HEARD a PEEP outta PX people since the LAST census... NOW they wanna come out at us. lol lol

Old 06-07-2017, 06:50 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,173,213 times
Quote:

Philadelphia is not majority black. It is 44% black according to the last official census. That's not a majority.

Philadelphia wouldn't be growing in population again if it was all ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area