Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 10:24 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
It's pretty sad and embarrassing that a metro of over 4.5 million only has one 4-year university listed in US News and World Reports top colleges and university rankings, isn't it?

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...versities/data
I live in Scottsdale and got into the U of A online engineering master's program over in Tucson. I don't even have to go down there for any class. It's all online. I went to ASU back in the day but feel the need to upgrade my computer engineering skills since the technology has changed so rapidly recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 12:23 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
It's pretty sad and embarrassing that a metro of over 4.5 million only has one 4-year university listed in US News and World Reports top colleges and university rankings, isn't it?

ASU is the largest four year public university in the nation. In addition, there are some private universities here that offer four year degree programs which are just as good (if not better) than the public ones. You can put down Phoenix all you want, but San Diego isn't exactly a world class city either. As much as I love San Diego for the summer weather & recreational activities, I would never live there because it's too expensive, and the job market is paltry compared to many other large cities. In the end, jobs and quality of life are what really matter over practically anything else.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:40 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
I was reading something last year when Phoenix was 6th written by some Californians that couldn't believe Phoenix was so populated...it was a city that was off of most of their radar. Amusing as many businesses are moving out of California cities to Phoenix. Phoenix won't be off their radar for long.
I never knew that. Many people I talk to that are talking about leaving California have the Phoenix area on their radar.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:33 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Maybe it's time to change fields then. Otherwise, life generally isn't perfect.
Why would I do that? It doesn't pay well in Phoenix, but does pay much better elsewhere. The problem isn't what I do, it's where I live.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:37 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Why would I do that? It doesn't pay well in Phoenix, but does pay much better elsewhere. The problem isn't what I do, it's where I live.
I've lurked on this thread, and read about 2-3 pages of your posts, rants and complaints, if it bothers you that much, MOVE!

Old 05-30-2017, 01:44 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
I've lurked on this thread, and read about 2-3 pages of your posts, rants and complaints, if it bothers you that much, MOVE!
Oh, thank you for enlightening me. I never would've figured out to do that on my own

Old 05-30-2017, 01:59 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnvlv247 View Post
People are leaving the Northeast in packs. It's been a trend for a long time now. Whether it's for Texas, CA, FL and AZ, they are sick of being taxed up the butt, the winters and the poor infrastructure. Not to mention, Philly has a high crime rate that has not been going down
Typical right wing blather. Usually it is directed at California, in this case the Northeast, but the same tactic. If people are leaving, in packs or in other configurations, they are being replaced by others. The only states that experienced population declines between the 2010 Census and the 2016 estimate are Illinois, West Virginia and Vermont. Only one of those is in the Northeast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...on_growth_rate

Old 05-30-2017, 02:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Typical right wing blather. Usually it is directed at California, in this case the Northeast, but the same tactic. If people are leaving, in packs or in other configurations, they are being replaced by others. The only states that experienced population declines between the 2010 Census and the 2016 estimate are Illinois, West Virginia and Vermont. Only one of those is in the Northeast.

Exactly, I moved here because of the weather and a bigger city than Rochester, NY; not because of some non-existent left wing boogyman

Old 05-30-2017, 02:49 PM

872 posts, read 999,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post

How did you inject politics into this? When did I say it was because of the politics? High costs of living are a perfect reason to leave to a cheaper place. In this case, New Englanders are going to FL. I grew up through high school in CT and every time I visit, the news is always saying how people are leaving. Almost all my peers have left the state. My parents are just joining the statistic. Yes when people leave, others come but it's not enough to have + growth like here in AZ. I use CT as an example cuz it's a good representation. Yes, MA population is growing but nothing like Texas or other western states. NY's population is stagnant. Google Connecticut population growth and have fun

Old 05-30-2017, 02:54 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
Quote:

Every city has it's strong points and it's weak points.

In higher education, Phoenix will never come close to Boston or Philly or New York or Washington.

On the other hand, those places will never have the climate and sunshine Phoenix enjoys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area