Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 03:32 PM

189 posts, read 231,511 times

Advertisements

More proof about the growing tech hub happening in Phoenix. Hopefully the played and tired argument of all these new tech positions being "back office" positions is finally put to rest.

You either don't know what you're talking about or you don't work in the industry.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...tech-jobs.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 03:51 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,165,928 times
Hmmm...and all these jobs located adjacent to my neighborhood...can't wait to see those home prices go up.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:08 PM

120 posts, read 167,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSunDevil83 View Post
More proof about the growing tech hub happening in Phoenix. Hopefully the played and tired argument of all these new tech positions being "back office" positions is finally put to rest.

You either don't know what you're talking about or you don't work in the industry.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...tech-jobs.html

Funny enough I live in Utah right now and they have found their way on that list by packaging telemarketing sales and customer service jobs as "high end IT careers."

Old 06-15-2017, 04:40 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,846,809 times
The problem is keeping the silicon cool in the summer.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,671,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
The problem is keeping the silicon cool in the summer.
Were you trying to make a silicone joke?

Old 11-25-2018, 07:49 PM

17,874 posts, read 16,004,006 times
Is it still going strong? Has Trump trade war added more fuel to the fire? Is it all going into a specific town?

Old 11-26-2018, 08:42 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,670,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Is it still going strong? Has Trump trade war added more fuel to the fire? Is it all going into a specific town?
Chandler has it's "Price Road Corridor" that's built with tech firms in mind.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:38 AM

2,292 posts, read 3,094,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Still going strong. In fact, stronger than ever. I used to work in Economic Development and now in real estate market data/research and I've seen the numbers and see and hear about all the job announcements. Can't go more than a week without hearing about another company relocating here or doing a major expansion. The good thing is it's not all confined to one place. Some are down in Chandler near Intel, others in East Mesa out near Mesa Gateway, some in Scottsdale (both north and south), and a lot in the vicinity of downtown Phoenix and up into the Central Corridor.

Some of it is homegrown, but a lot of it is what you might call the "tech spillover" effect from companies who've become disillusioned by the high cost of living and doing business in Silicon Valley/Bay Area and decided to grow their business here. Some are taking advantage of various state incentive programs, but really it's about the lower cost of business combined with plentiful existing tech workforce. It's also not that tough to attract young talent if not already available to move to Phoenix as compared to some other places.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:42 AM

2,292 posts, read 3,094,458 times
Another thing I wanted to note: Phoenix is ground zero for a number of tech-based industry disruptors. I'm talking things like Autonomous Vehicles and testing (Waymo, Uber, Apple, etc), Electric Vehicles (Lucid Motors plant happening down in Casa Grande and Nikola Motors hydrogen-electric truck plant also in Pinal County, Offerpad and Opendoor which have begun to disrupt homebuying and selling, Carvana/Drivetime which is disrupting the way people buy and sell cars, Tuft & Needle (online mattresses), and there are countless others. Some of those companies have grown by leaps and bounds and are rapidly expanding all across the US, but are based right here in Phoenix. That's really good for us and as they grow we can only stand to benefit as they will need top level employees to help manage and maintain that growth.

This is in addition to our already strong presence in other tech industries and manufacturing such as aerospace (Boeing, MD Helicopter, Honeywell), defense (General Dynamics, Orbital ATK), semiconductors (Intel, ON Semiconductor), and Solar (First Solar). Data centers have also found Phoenix to be an ideal place due to strong infrastructure and stable climate and geology (Apple recently opened their new $2 billion one in east Mesa). ASU and U of A have been and continue to be strong partners with a lot of these companies also.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:09 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,348,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Another thing I wanted to note: Phoenix is ground zero for a number of tech-based industry disruptors. I'm talking things like Autonomous Vehicles and testing (Waymo, Uber, Apple, etc), Electric Vehicles (Lucid Motors plant happening down in Casa Grande and Nikola Motors hydrogen-electric truck plant also in Pinal County, Offerpad and Opendoor which have begun to disrupt homebuying and selling, Carvana/Drivetime which is disrupting the way people buy and sell cars, Tuft & Needle (online mattresses), and there are countless others. Some of those companies have grown by leaps and bounds and are rapidly expanding all across the US, but are based right here in Phoenix. That's really good for us and as they grow we can only stand to benefit as they will need top level employees to help manage and maintain that growth.

This is in addition to our already strong presence in other tech industries and manufacturing such as aerospace (Boeing, MD Helicopter, Honeywell), defense (General Dynamics, Orbital ATK), semiconductors (Intel, ON Semiconductor), and Solar (First Solar). Data centers have also found Phoenix to be an ideal place due to strong infrastructure and stable climate and geology (Apple recently opened their new $2 billion one in east Mesa). ASU and U of A have been and continue to be strong partners with a lot of these companies also.
Wish I could rep this - but you and I agree too much.

I hope the next phase is a continuation of the "combo growth" where companies Like Nikola Motors you mention are putting their R&D/Admin operations in the city core area (in this case near the airport), but the factories that go the Pinal county area where large swath's of land are still affordable.

Don't forget Microchip, Rogers, and others - as well as McKesson and State Farm moving HQs here - although not tech related.

I LOVE seeing so many cranes around town and big complexes of housing (both multi-family and Single Family) being built in every direction - including down here in Casa Grande.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area