Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 06:58 PM

15 posts, read 10,388 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My wife and I are planning only moving to the Phoenix area in retirement. I know we are looking far ahead but having lived in the same area in the Northwest all our lives it is a big thing for us as we have never experienced a move. By saying far ahead, I am talking 5 to 9 years. I know a lot of things change in a much shorter time but it is never too early to plan. We have the time to learn about the region as we finish our our work life. Our plans are to live there year round.
Coming from a cooler rainy region, we have enjoyed our few visits south to look at the different cities. We looked to the west (Buckeye, Goodyear, Surprise, etc.) and are focusing on Chandler and Gilbert.
We will be looking for a modest home with a pool.
Regarding costs, I am wondering if homeowner's insurance is much higher for homes with a pool and how much expense goes along with having a pool?
Is running A/C nearly year round expensive? I know that it depends a lot on what the thermostat is set to.
These are just a couple of the questions we have come up with so far. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 07:19 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,744,643 times
Our homeowner insurance with and without a pool did not vary by much, it was negligible.

As far as A/C goes we run it from roughly May through October, we shut it off at nights when the lows are below 70, I think a lot of people don't do that and they probably pay more. We also use the balanced bill plan so we play a flat fee year-round to avoid spikes in our cash flow. Our bill is $160 year round doing these things, I don't consider it high compared to what I've payed elsewhere.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:22 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
5-9 years truly is too far in advance to consider most of these issues. With all respect, you should consider many areas, visit them for 2 weeks, and the one's you like, return again for another 2-4 weeks. Preferably during the worst season of the year (typically weather related).

Unless you can do that kind of plan or absorb the financial and emotional burden if you buy someplace that is innaprotiate, I'd strongly suggest renting for 6 - 12 months before you buy.

Mt opinions are based on a been there done that experience.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:05 PM

640 posts, read 959,106 times
Look for all the posts from GeneR. Then come back in 5 years and see if you can get in touch with him.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:13 AM

locolife - good to hear. I was hoping that what I am paying for earthquake insurance would offset any increase in insurance cost for a pool.
Jkgourmet - Thank you for the insight and having us tread carefully. I know it is early but we are so tired of the gray Northwest and the rain that comes with it. We can't absorb a financial hit as we will have to sell our house here first before moving. We sure don't want an emotional hit either as this will be our only and final move. Your idea of an extended stay visit is probably prudent.
phx1205 - I will look at posts from GeneR.
I am glad no one laughed at our time frame. It gives us time to be sure we are making the decision that is right for us.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:05 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,619,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-bound View Post
locolife - good to hear. I was hoping that what I am paying for earthquake insurance would offset any increase in insurance cost for a pool.
Jkgourmet - Thank you for the insight and having us tread carefully. I know it is early but we are so tired of the gray Northwest and the rain that comes with it. We can't absorb a financial hit as we will have to sell our house here first before moving. We sure don't want an emotional hit either as this will be our only and final move. Your idea of an extended stay visit is probably prudent.
phx1205 - I will look at posts from GeneR.
I am glad no one laughed at our time frame. It gives us time to be sure we are making the decision that is right for us.
Here are a few clichés for you:

Haste makes waste... and waste makes want... and want makes strife between the good man and his wife.

Better to be safe than sorry.

It is preferable to be cautious in one's choices and actions than to act recklessly and suffer afterwards.

But you already knew these things, didn't you?

Old 06-13-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
But you already knew these things, didn't you?

Yes indeed. We are talking this one all the way through. We are careful decision makers, hence the time frame. We agree on everything so far... including the heat. Some folks locally asked why we would want to move one day to the desert. We look at it this way. Would we rather be "trapped" inside the house during the hottest hours of the day with bright blue skies or be "trapped" inside the house from Sept to May looking out at drizzle, rain or showers looking out at gray skies.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:54 PM

744 posts, read 879,894 times
Quote:
Yes indeed. We are talking this one all the way through. We are careful decision makers, hence the time frame. We agree on everything so far... including the heat. Some folks locally asked why we would want to move one day to the desert. We look at it this way. Would we rather be "trapped" inside the house during the hottest hours of the day with bright blue skies or be "trapped" inside the house from Sept to May looking out at drizzle, rain or showers looking out at gray skies.
That's a great way to look at living here in AZ. People ask me how's the weather? Well it's hot, but I stay inside where it is cool. When it snows in the winter in some places---you stay inside right?

Also, most places here in the summer have the AC cranked way down. I usually have to bring a sweater if I go to the movies.

I am also planning on my retirement destination, but it's not going to be AZ. I'm really tired of the summers. Monday, June 19th is supposed to be 117. Way too early for that!

Old 06-13-2017, 04:37 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,131,718 times
Quote:
Hi,
My wife and I are planning only moving to the Phoenix area in retirement. I know we are looking far ahead but having lived in the same area in the Northwest all our lives it is a big thing for us as we have never experienced a move. By saying far ahead, I am talking 5 to 9 years. I know a lot of things change in a much shorter time but it is never too early to plan. We have the time to learn about the region as we finish our our work life. Our plans are to live there year round.
Coming from a cooler rainy region, we have enjoyed our few visits south to look at the different cities. We looked to the west (Buckeye, Goodyear, Surprise, etc.) and are focusing on Chandler and Gilbert.
We will be looking for a modest home with a pool.
Regarding costs, I am wondering if homeowner's insurance is much higher for homes with a pool and how much expense goes along with having a pool?
Is running A/C nearly year round expensive? I know that it depends a lot on what the thermostat is set to.
These are just a couple of the questions we have come up with so far. Thanks.
Smart! I have a 14 year plan to move to AZ or somewhere in the southwest

Old 06-13-2017, 05:46 PM

After being so weary of the rain, dampness and humidity, we are ready for warm... and hot. We were just down for a few days a couple weeks ago and it was 100 to 108 or so. To me, 105 in the desert is more pleasant than 85 in the northwest. We had central air installed a few years ago (yes some people in western Washington do have AC). Property taxes are much cheaper in the Phoenix area... our current home of 1922 sq/ft in one of the most affordable areas south of Seattle runs $4900/yr... ouch. I just spent three days cleaning moss off the roof. Time is on our side as we make a few trips a year to the valley for visits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area