Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:51 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,043,759 times

Advertisements

Maybe some of you have answers to my question of, "do people who leave their homes empty during the summer hire someone to check on the home's welfare?" Of course the ideal situation would be to have relatives (or neighbors) do regular welfare checks of the house.

The reasons you'd want your house checked on are obvious: possible break-ins, water leaks, broken sprinklers letting water run down the street, squatters, newspapers left on driveway, fallen free limbs during monsoon, etc. etc.

If I wanted to hire someone like this in Phx, where would I look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 09:54 AM

586 posts, read 540,975 times
There are numerous Home Watch guys around. We use a Lady in Estrella and she charges $65 a month and sends a note with pictures each week.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:22 AM

164 posts, read 183,699 times
I would rather leave a condo empty for the summer that a free standing home. I would have a neighbor check it daily and the yard kept up. Interior and exterior cameras that you can view on the internet would be comforting. I would leave lights and radios on a timer.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:13 AM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Many services around, let the local police dept. know that it is vacant as well, halt mail service, hire landscapers, etc. The Home Watch people will also run the water in the home periodically to make sure the drains don't dry out.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:36 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
We had friends and neighbors stop by asking the to flush the toilets and run the water in the sinks. One year, we hired a local kid who was doing dog walking for extra money. And that was pretty cheap and helped out the kid.

We did NOT shut off the a/c completely, just turned it up to like 85.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:48 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,259 times
If you aren't going to be there all summer, it's fine to shut off the a/c. Plenty of managed vacant properties keep the a/c off, but I'd keep the refrigerators running.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:54 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Don't forget to check your homeowner's policy. Some apparently don't like vacant houses.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:46 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Maybe some of you have answers to my question of, "do people who leave their homes empty during the summer hire someone to check on the home's welfare?" Of course the ideal situation would be to have relatives (or neighbors) do regular welfare checks of the house.

The reasons you'd want your house checked on are obvious: possible break-ins, water leaks, broken sprinklers letting water run down the street, squatters, newspapers left on driveway, fallen free limbs during monsoon, etc. etc.

If I wanted to hire someone like this in Phx, where would I look?
I see ads all of the time. Google. Most people I know just use a neighbor. I check 2 of my neighbors.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:59 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times
If you're going to be gone for a month or more, presumably you'll suspend your newspaper, right? Yes, obviously a neighbor would be best - not only for all the obvious reasons, but also because a neighbor will do what YOU want, whereas if you hire someone from a management company, they will want to do their usual routine, regardless of your preferences.

I wouldn't hire a kid, because I'd want an adult with the presence of mind to know what to do if he walks in and find an inch of water on the floor. Ask around for recommendations - ask your own neighbors who go away, check with churches or community centers, ask your handyman.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:04 AM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
I would shut the water main don't want to find out that your home flooded because a toilet float valve failed which is the most common cause of home floods or a water hose to your washer splits open. Your drains are going to dry up so the house might smell some when you get back but not that bad still has sewer vents. The biggest issue is homes with no one around for months is a big sign to thieves. I would not run the AC it's a waste of money to do that house won't' get hotter than 90 in the peak summer heat. All home owners insurance have clause's about leaving the home vacant you have to notify them and they will charge you more if you don't and the place burns down or floods they may not pay for the damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area