Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 07:16 PM

9 posts, read 9,666 times

Advertisements

If you want $$$$, phoenix union pays well. Inner city but they are surprisingly on top of things when it comes to SPED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 04:17 PM

8 posts, read 4,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjouswoodenhand View Post
If you want $$$$, phoenix union pays well. Inner city but they are surprisingly on top of things when it comes to SPED.
Excellent! I'll check them out because I would like to take as little if a pay cut as possible...Thanks

Old 07-07-2017, 04:50 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,234,466 times
If taking a higher pay/poorer district job, really dig into the support and resources available. You may be going more out of pocket for classroom items and the small amount of extra real money may buy you a ton of headaches

Not saying all poor area schools are like that, but go I eyes wide open that they could.

I do know some who absolutely love their schools in poor areas, but it isn't always for everyone

Old 07-07-2017, 05:04 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,090 times
Phoenix Union is a 9-12 district, if that makes a difference to you. It can also be pretty political. They have a new special ed director so maybe things have improved recently.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:09 PM

14 posts, read 27,589 times
Think twice on Deer Valley. They are the most sued when it comes to special ed issues. I wouldn't live in that district if you paid me and I certainly wouldn't think that the most controversial district when it comes to sped would be great to work for either. I've always heard great things about Washington Elementary District when it comes to sped. Paradise Valley is also well respected. On the west side, I'd go with Peoria Unified.

Old 07-07-2017, 06:57 PM

All good points that I will consider. I definitely would prefer a district that appreciates my skills in addition to being Wilson certified which may come from parent knowledge too.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:39 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,976,723 times
I have 18 years of licensure as an Arizona Substitute. I started at Madison ESD....very well run, Madison Park was horrible, but everything else was good. They are known for being stingy. I actually, moved over to Alhambra ESD for five bucks more per day and a good salad bar (free). Dr. Peck was awarded National Superintendent of the Year in 1998. Part of that district is in Glendale, which was Barcelona, and I can show you three generations of teachers, who will say Barccelona is horrible. Glendale USD...NOPE. Washington Union...NOPE. Way downtown, Wilson was good, but be prepared to be the token white person..but the pay is good. Alhambra was one of the better paying in the State..but don't confuse that with Alhambra HS which is New Jack City. Things change. They hired a ###### as Sup. for AESD and there was a mutiny. I believe Mr. Rivera is now Sup. and he was an excellent principal. Creighton is a dump and so is Cartwright. Some times the poorer districts will pay the best, due to Title I, and some things like that. Be ready for heavy Spanish speaking influences. I agree with Joe about Deere Valley. I believe some districts allow you to bring up to five years with you from another area. I recall such a large shortage of Special Ed. Teachers that a member of the legislature was quoted in the Republic, stating "if they are certified for Special Ed., and can fog a beer glass; you better hire them." He was also a little perturbed about Districts failing to pull the trigger and higher applicants, because they weren't one of their own. Some schools prefer women, some prefer Mormons, some prefer whites, some prefer Hispanics, some prefer locals." No need to deny it or put lipstick on it, and the fact that most have never been in business shows like a neon billboard. An email in July from Bill Gates about the computer teaching job will go unanswered, even when accompanied by the 26 page application. Come October, frantic calls are made to people in old folks homes asking them if they can start yesterday.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:51 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,976,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emdav View Post
Think twice on Deer Valley. They are the most sued when it comes to special ed issues. I wouldn't live in that district if you paid me and I certainly wouldn't think that the most controversial district when it comes to sped would be great to work for either. I've always heard great things about Washington Elementary District when it comes to sped. Paradise Valley is also well respected. On the west side, I'd go with Peoria Unified.
That is more likely because they are a bit more affluent up there in DV. The suing schools about your Special Ed kid is nationwide, and I am sure if you Googled it, you would see how wide spread and common it is. I am from Fairfax County VA, and that is almost always the top rated school district in the US. The lawyers are heavily involved with placements, etc.. It is way OTT, IMO. It has gotten to be that the schools wont even take you seriously unless it is an attorney. I had a job driving an autistic student to a private school because the mother's attorney forced the district to pay for it, and provide transport, because the attorney could prove that they weren't qualified. Tuition alone was over 60,000 per year.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
I have 18 years of licensure as an Arizona Substitute. I started at Madison ESD....very well run, Madison Park was horrible, but everything else was good. They are known for being stingy. I actually, moved over to Alhambra ESD for five bucks more per day and a good salad bar (free). Dr. Peck was awarded National Superintendent of the Year in 1998. Part of that district is in Glendale, which was Barcelona, and I can show you three generations of teachers, who will say Barccelona is horrible. Glendale USD...NOPE. Washington Union...NOPE. Way downtown, Wilson was good, but be prepared to be the token white person..but the pay is good. Alhambra was one of the better paying in the State..but don't confuse that with Alhambra HS which is New Jack City. Things change. They hired a ###### as Sup. for AESD and there was a mutiny. I believe Mr. Rivera is now Sup. and he was an excellent principal. Creighton is a dump and so is Cartwright. Some times the poorer districts will pay the best, due to Title I, and some things like that. Be ready for heavy Spanish speaking influences. I agree with Joe about Deere Valley. I believe some districts allow you to bring up to five years with you from another area. I recall such a large shortage of Special Ed. Teachers that a member of the legislature was quoted in the Republic, stating "if they are certified for Special Ed., and can fog a beer glass; you better hire them." He was also a little perturbed about Districts failing to pull the trigger and higher applicants, because they weren't one of their own. Some schools prefer women, some prefer Mormons, some prefer whites, some prefer Hispanics, some prefer locals." No need to deny it or put lipstick on it, and the fact that most have never been in business shows like a neon billboard. An email in July from Bill Gates about the computer teaching job will go unanswered, even when accompanied by the 26 page application. Come October, frantic calls are made to people in old folks homes asking them if they can start yesterday.

What do you mean by "#####" and "be prepared to be the token white"? You should know that I am not white and I'm only asking about school districts, not racial opinions.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:16 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,155,761 times
My wife taught in the Alhambra district. We have some family friends that met while teaching in Alhambra. I would not recommend it at all from their stories. The administration is a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area