Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 04:16 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I am curious as to why the OP didn't explain to the officer what she had taken. If she could provide proof of the prescriptions, this would not even be a topic.
That's not how things work. Just because you are legally taking medication doesn't exclude you from driving under the influence of them. People abuse or misuse prescription medication every day. And you NEVER should be offering up extra information to the police. Below is a great video on situations such as this. Very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

Old 07-13-2017, 04:19 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
well, in light of the recent Tiger Woods fiasco, even taking prescribed medications doesn't always prevent legal action being taken against someone

Old 07-13-2017, 04:23 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,191,283 times
Quote:
I am curious as to why the OP didn't explain to the officer what she had taken. If she could provide proof of the prescriptions, this would not even be a topic.
Actually, it would still be a topic based on Arizona state law. The OP technically broke the law and was caught (§ 28-1381). That law even specifically references § 13-3401, which has a lengthy list of what qualifies (see link below). An attorney could probably advise her better though, and she more than likely will need one.

13-3401 - Definitions

Old 07-13-2017, 04:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
telling her where it is, and getting it back immediately are two different issues..

Well, true, but she needs to start with finding out where it is, and what she needs to do to get it back ASAP.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:53 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,639 times
OP needs to start here...

https://www.chandlerpd.com/impounds/

Old 07-13-2017, 04:54 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,607 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. It seems like everything just piles on all at once.

It's likely you will be charged with DUI (driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol) when the blood test comes back.

You apparently appeared impaired, and the blood test will show you were on medications that can cause impairment, even though you weren't taking them illegally. You don't say what specifically you were stopped for, but that should be in the police report.

Seroquel will remain in your system and be testable for 30 hours after you take a dose, and the other medications that you had taken very shortly before your arrest will also show up on the blood test.

I think you can call the police and find out where your car is, and then retrieve it before it compounds hundreds more in storage fees.

Best wishes.

Last edited by ClaraC; 07-13-2017 at 05:18 PM..

Old 07-13-2017, 04:57 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Legal substances are still substances. Can still be a DUI if one is impaired.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:11 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelliedfox View Post
At 8am I was pulled over in Chandler. I was heading to take my son to daycare. I had work at 9am. At 10:00pm at night the previous day, I took my seroquil, sleeping med. I have a prescription for it. It was 10 hours after I took it. I was still tired but functional. I have to go work because I'm a single mom paying my rent. I Suffer from anxiety and depression so I have to take my anxiety and depression meds every morning as prescribed. I did NOT tell the cops I took any medications but they arrested me for a DUI. They said I was on illegal drugs with no evidence of such. They impounded my car, had my son as they arrested me and did a blood test.

I NEED this blood test right away. They're gonna see I wasn't doing anything illegal. They didn't even write me tickets!!! What do I do? I called lawyers and they said since there isn't anything in the system yet they can't do anything. (The courts have no records of this either!!). I need my car back! I can't afford to pay a 150 fee for acar that was wrongly impounded but my friend might help me get it back. But there are going to be storage fees each day! I can't afford this. I need help right away. I'm not on drugs. I'm medicine for my mental disorders. It's not illegal! My medicine bottles don't say anything about not being able to drive on them. My psychiatrist told me I can drive on them. I have a letter stating such.

What do i do?? I need to work! I can't afford a 60 dollars Uber a day to take my son to daycare then work. My son has to go to the daycare 5 days a week or else he loses his scholarship. I worked so hard to get my car, my house, my daycare to lose it for nothing!
Sorry, but what are you leaving out? How did being on medication even get brought up? Not sure why your insisting on a blood test, for what? Did you take a field sobriety test? Did you fail it?

Old 07-13-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Sorry, but what are you leaving out? How did being on medication even get brought up? Not sure why your insisting on a blood test, for what? Did you take a field sobriety test? Did you fail it?
She wants the blood test to show no illegal substances.

Old 07-13-2017, 05:15 PM

There are a lot of people driving impaired on legal substances. When my friend was given seroquel and described her driving I said you have to go to bed earlier, or sleep later, or take longer to wake up after you get up, or whatever it takes before you get a DUI or kill someone. Legal or illegal doesn't matter. If one is impaired by a substance, one is driving under the influence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area