Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:50 AM

656 posts, read 814,570 times

Advertisements

Every year we got to talk people down from jumping off the ledge. It's like winter for Seattle folk...they get suicidal.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:52 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,709,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Unless you're working outside, what does it matter? Do you honestly think it's too hot to walk to your air conditioned car? Life goes on just like anywhere else. It's really not that big of a deal for those with air conditioning (most everyone).
Yes but anything mechanical has it's own limitations... power grid down, cost prohibitive, etc...

Do you really want to be dependent?

Old 07-29-2017, 10:56 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,231,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Yes but anything mechanical has it's own limitations... power grid down, cost prohibitive, etc...

So you're not "dependent" on many mechanical things? Automobiles, appliances, power tools, electronics, medical devices, heat, etc.? Your argument is a weak one.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
So you're not "dependent" on many mechanical things? Automobiles, appliances, power tools, electronics, medical devices, heat, etc.? Your argument is a weak one.
I've been accused of worse...

We are all dependent to some degree.

I can walk to work but it takes 30 minutes... I can drive and it takes 5.

I have timber and just the storm fall provides me a lifetime of firewood...

There is little I could do if dependent of A/C and the grid goes down... for whatever reason.

After the Loma Prieta quake electricity was down for 6 days in the heart of the Bay Area in my city Oakland CA.. during the ice storm in Washington State power was out for a week... in the dead of winter with zero overnight temps.

Both times I found that I managed quite well without electricity...

I have never lived in a home with A/C but I am responsible for the HVAC for a hospital... and to keep the Hospital HVAC dependable requires preventative maintenance and even then things break.

Being an engineer, I would not want to be dependent on the grid for life and death as many have pointed out extreme heat can be.

Sure... have redundant systems... back up power, multiple sources of cooling, etc... but this is not the residential norm...

I suppose if found in that situation I would gravitate towards adobe shelter and/or underground... using thermal loading to modulate both extremes.

Kind of ironic my work life is all about keeping critical systems running including medical...

In my private life I'm the opposite... use 12 KWH daily average year round in my home... dry clothes on the line, no cable or satellite, no personal cell... I do have a rotary dial phone with DSL...

My older cars need no battery to run... 1911 Model T with Magneto... can run on coal oil, kero, etc... if that fails... can always saddle up the horse...

More power to you if your desire is to live in a hostile desert environment...

Old 07-29-2017, 11:30 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,741,532 times
Quote:

Unless you're living off the grid in the forest you're depending on mechanical things be it for heat, electricity, elevators or the food you eat. There's no city that doesn't rely on mechanical things.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Unless you're living off the grid in the forest you're depending on mechanical things be it for heat, electricity, elevators or the food you eat. There's no city that doesn't rely on mechanical things.
Having acreage with timber gives options... living in a climate where A/C is a residential anomaly suits me.

Growing up as a child we never heated except when we had guest over the Christmas Holidays...

One of my treasures is my 1940's Wedgewood stove... one side is gas and one side is wood... the water tank even provides hot water...

America was never so dependent on electricity as we are now... many sociologist have said vast regions of the country are only hospitable through the widespread application of A/C...

There is a difference when technology is a convenience vs life or death...

For all I know the extreme heat of the South West is nothing more than exaggeration... but then I have to think how many homes in Phoenix are without cooling?

Old 07-29-2017, 12:33 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,630,065 times
Quote:
Having acreage with timber gives options... living in a climate where A/C is a residential anomaly suits me.

Growing up as a child we never heated except when we had guest over the Christmas Holidays...

One of my treasures is my 1940's Wedgewood stove... one side is gas and one side is wood... the water tank even provides hot water...

America was never so dependent on electricity as we are now... many sociologist have said vast regions of the country are only hospitable through the widespread application of A/C...

There is a difference when technology is a convenience vs life or death...

For all I know the extreme heat of the South West is nothing more than exaggeration... but then I have to think how many homes in Phoenix are without cooling?
As someone who works outside here, it is survivable. Just drink enough water and don't be stupid

Old 07-29-2017, 12:49 PM

Appreciate the feedback from someone in the trenches...

I have friends that have moved to Phoenix and they come back every summer to the Bay Area to escape the heat...

He said his wife seldom ventures out during a heat wave.

I've been to needles when it was 122F... but being and working are tow different things!

Old 07-29-2017, 01:10 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,941,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Unless you're working outside, what does it matter? Do you honestly think it's too hot to walk to your air conditioned car? Life goes on just like anywhere else. It's really not that big of a deal for those with air conditioning (most everyone).
I have an older brother (79) whose wife (67) is unwell and overweight (5' 250 lb.) and they live in Sun City (aptly named). They are just coming off off temperatures that started at 117F day/95F midnight and gradually worked their way down to 105F or so. I worry what a power failure in the dead of summer would do to a million+ residents in that area. What sort of emergency plan does the local government have in place for such a catastrophic situation? I mean how do you keep cool that many residents in such deadly temperatures, especially given the number of elderly retirees?

Old 07-29-2017, 01:13 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,941,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
Dependin' how fast the ol' horse gallops...
You mean camel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area