Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 09:20 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,630,819 times

Advertisements

Over the past seven years I've lived in the Valley, I have noticed that every couple of months I encounter different people or groups of people shoplifting from Valley stores, mainly larger chains. I have noticed people with backpacks stuffing it with an item at CVS and walking out, walking out with an open handbasket of items at Safeway, grabbing cases of beer from the cooler at QT and leaving without going close to the register, coming back and grabbing more cases or beer, and even someone stuffing a package of meat down their shirt at Fry's. I have lived in other places and am well aware that petty theft is in an issue everywhere, but until living here I really never saw it first hand. Have others noticed a trend here or am I just in the wrong aisle at the wrong time?

For those who might wonder, I don't ever try to stop them or run and flag an employee. I figure if the employees of the store don't care enough to keep unpaid items in the store, why should I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 09:26 PM

13,774 posts, read 8,019,999 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EdxM72EZ94

Old 08-15-2017, 09:26 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
For minimum wage a gas station employee would be better off letting it be. Same with robberies at Circle Ks, I'd just hand it over.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:38 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,180,798 times
From city-data's own crime statistics: theft is down by ~36% from 2001. Similar for all types of crime. I wonder how stores looked like in 2001. The line for shoplifters must have been longer than the checkout lines for honest customers.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...x-Arizona.html

Old 08-15-2017, 09:41 PM

212 posts, read 229,186 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJRN76hxFz0

Old 08-16-2017, 09:51 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,152,771 times
So this is what we are doing now?

Jane's Addiction

Old 08-16-2017, 10:58 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
From city-data's own crime statistics: theft is down by ~36% from 2001. Similar for all types of crime. I wonder how stores looked like in 2001. The line for shoplifters must have been longer than the checkout lines for honest customers.

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...x-Arizona.html
**Reported theft is down

All the stores basically have hands off policies for shoplifting now and the criminals know that. If they get away with it, they will keep doing. A home depot employee was fired for just going out into the parking lot and getting a plate number recently.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:02 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
**Reported theft is down

All the stores basically have hands off policies for shoplifting now and the criminals know that. If they get away with it, they will keep doing. A home depot employee was fired for just going out into the parking lot and getting a plate number recently.
That's not new. It has been a lot of years since I worked in retail, but every retail job I had had the same hands-off policy. The focus, instead, is on shoplifting prevention including (but not limited to) interacting with the customers so they know you know they are there, counting what goes in and out of the fitting rooms, and sensor tags.

Last edited by ElleTea; 08-16-2017 at 11:36 AM..

Old 08-16-2017, 11:05 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,180,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
**Reported theft is down

We also have big surveillance with facial recognition software everywhere. They can find the guys quite easy these days. They can decide which guys it's most profitable going against vs. who to let pass (law of diminishing returns). They are not stupid. A few years from now this type of crime will be extinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: