Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 03:47 PM

39,129 posts, read 51,428,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Yeah, AZ mountains are much bigger than anything in the northeast, the tallest mountain out there is still lower than the town elevation in flagstaff. The West is larger than life by comparison, the magnitude of nature out here can't be matched out East imo. There's so much to see and explore it's almost overwhelming.

It is warm from May to Oct and it can hit 100 on Halloween but that's rare and well above average if it happens. The mornings and evenings are nice through early June and this year we've already started having beautiful morning weather now. My hot range is mid-June to mid-Sept, before and after that you can usually count on nice mornings that are perfect for all of the outdoors activities you want to do. Having a completely different weather pattern 90 minutes away is also something a northeasterner probably won't get until they arrive here. The geographic diversity is something I didn't appreciate until I moved away for a while.

OP- best of luck if you end up moving here, keep us posted and if you can help it try to avoid living in the distant exurbs that tend to be a lot less interesting than central Phoenix, Tempe and Scottsdale where you'll find a lot more culture, diversity, unique businesses and entertainment. Downtown Phoenix is going through a big renaissance right now, with new spots opening almost weekly.
It has never, ever been 100 degrees on Halloween in Phoenix. The all time latest day for 100 is October 23 and the average last date of 100 is September 28 (barely a month away )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 10:42 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,763,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It has never, ever been 100 degrees on Halloween in Phoenix. The all time latest day for 100 is October 23 and the average last date of 100 is September 28 (barely a month away )
I should've known that it's never even happened.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:13 PM

13,481 posts, read 7,475,844 times
Quote:
Yeah, AZ mountains are much bigger than anything in the northeast, the tallest mountain out there is still lower than the town elevation in flagstaff. The West is larger than life by comparison, the magnitude of nature out here can't be matched out East imo. There's so much to see and explore it's almost overwhelming.

It is warm from May to Oct and it can hit 100 on Halloween but that's rare and well above average if it happens. The mornings and evenings are nice through early June and this year we've already started having beautiful morning weather now. My hot range is mid-June to mid-Sept, before and after that you can usually count on nice mornings that are perfect for all of the outdoors activities you want to do. Having a completely different weather pattern 90 minutes away is also something a northeasterner probably won't get until they arrive here. The geographic diversity is something I didn't appreciate until I moved away for a while.

OP- best of luck if you end up moving here, keep us posted and if you can help it try to avoid living in the distant exurbs that tend to be a lot less interesting than central Phoenix, Tempe and Scottsdale where you'll find a lot more culture, diversity, unique businesses and entertainment. Downtown Phoenix is going through a big renaissance right now, with new spots opening almost weekly.
Paint peels in about 7 years if you're not retired most employers don't have covered parking so your car will sit out all day in the winter the UV is really high as well. I guess that's better than rusty frames from the NE you see lot of cars with clear coats peeling up.

This year we hit 92 on FEB 17th https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ures-this-week

Flagstaff is a 2 hour drive have to get above 6000 feet to drop into the 80's.

I'm not so much a fan of downtown I do like east valley and scottsdale. Phoenix is a hodgepodge of mixed type of homes and businesses for many years seemed like there was no plan who ever came along built something.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:27 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,763,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Paint peels in about 7 years if you're not retired most employers don't have covered parking so your car will sit out all day in the winter the UV is really high as well. I guess that's better than rusty frames from the NE you see lot of cars with clear coats peeling up.

This year we hit 92 on FEB 17th https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ures-this-week

Flagstaff is a 2 hour drive have to get above 6000 feet to drop into the 80's.

I'm not so much a fan of downtown I do like east valley and scottsdale. Phoenix is a hodgepodge of mixed type of homes and businesses for many years seemed like there was no plan who ever came along built something.
You can avoid your car paint peeling by waxing it regularly or if you're up for it you can install a protective film kit that will prevent sun damage. As you mentioned, there's nowhere you can leave a car outside 24x7 and expect some type of damage not to occur be it rust, salt corrosion, or even poor quality roads in cold cities which just destroy cars. I'd say we have a relatively easy environment to avoid car damage here. Just wax it and go with a film protection if you're super concerned about it. My car is 11 years old and the paint is still great.

As far as the UV goes, it's not that high in the winter, we average between 3-5 on the UV index from Nov to Mar. Link attached here: https://www.epa.gov/sunsafety/sun-sa...uv-index#tab-1

On the temperature comment, your link is not for 2/17 it's for 3/12. We hit the 90's for a few days while the lows remained in the low 60's or even high 50's during that stretch, then it went back down to the 70's and we even had some nice temps until summer started, even in mid June with 6/12 and 6/13 being 92 and 96 respectively. Really not that big of a deal unless you want to make it one.

Yep Flag is 2 hours away and sits around 7,000' but it's just 71 right now about 30 degrees cooler than Phoenix. The highs have been in the 70's nearly all last week with lows as low as 38. Point being, if you want cooler weather it's pretty dang easy to find it. Not a lot of places in the East offer that kind of climate variation within such a short distance. You can also go to Globe, Payson, Prescott or even Sedona for cooler weather. All are 2 hours or less. And the closest beach is about 4.

Clearly a lot of people prefer the burbs to Central Phoenix but if you're looking for creative, artsy and unique businesses/restaurants it's clearly the hub of the valley. From Roosevelt Row to the emerging Grand Arts District. I spend a lot of time in central Phoenix, it makes pretty good sense to me and I'd be thrilled to live in one of the many historic districts there. We're in Tempe, which isn't a bad option either but downtown takes the cake. Performing arts are mainly there, live music venues everywhere, great eateries and tons of sports. Scottsdale is nice but it lacks in a lot of the amenities I mentioned above.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:03 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,386,224 times
100-200K salary just for the nurse? Or combined?

Old 08-21-2017, 10:41 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,644,529 times
Quote:
The Upper Salt has plenty of whitewater every spring and even in the summer but since the OP is coming from Boston I'm guessing they have tamer kayaking in mind. Lower salt is completely behind dams so it's all controlled releases. I've done the top whitewater rivers in New England and the upper salt is usually better not to mention the salt river canyon is beyond beautiful.

Agreed with you on nurse salaries, the nurses I know make closer to what you listed than Yukon.
Then I'm surprised that nurses make more in ABQ, because those rates are not out of line for speciality nursing here. I don't know the rates for non-speciality general nursing.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:53 AM

13,481 posts, read 7,475,844 times
Quote:
I should've known that it's never even happened.
The record is 96F on 10/31 a few degrees really doesn't matter I think the OP gets the point compared to NE I'm just saying it's big change in climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area