Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2006, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 16,501 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are relocating to Phoenix in the spring of '07 and need suggestions on relaxed, younger-feeling communities to live in close to the Motorcycle Mechanics Institute on Deer Valley Rd. We do not have any children and come from a large city so we are not too paranoid of the so-called "bad neighborhoods". We would rather live somewhere creative, with options on dining and the bar scene that go further than the typical chains. We are looking to rent an apartment or townhouse, budget $700-800 a month rent. It sounds like we might not have too much luck on variety from the strip-malls from what I have read on this sight, but if anyone has a suggestion or went to MMI please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2006, 09:47 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,867 times
Do you want to be close to the school? How far do you want to be? The area up there is a lot of single famliy homes and a few apartments. Lots of younger couples due to MMI and Discover Card, etc. You sound like you would like Tempe, but that is a drive, about 30 miles or so.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:50 AM

I would rather be close(15 -20 min. max preferably) than commute too far. Any suggestions on what areas to look for when checking out apartments?

Old 12-07-2006, 11:00 AM

I would say be as close to the school as possible, but that won't get you in a creative place. Does the school offer any kind of assistance of what places there are near them? This valley is so large that it's so hard to advise people on where to look. Do you plan on coming out to visit, or have you already, before starting school?

Old 12-08-2006, 10:28 AM

We have to do everything on-line due to prior commitments and neither of us have ever been to Phoenix so this will be an adventure. The school has sent us a flier suggesting Glendale or Peoria as options that are close. I think we will just have to suck it up and live in the 'burbs. It sounds like the traffic is horrible if we were to live in downtown Phoenix.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:48 AM

Well, if you lived downtown and commuted up north than it's not as bad. The traffic living downtown can be busy and annoying. I would really suggest staying as north as possible and keep that stress out of your life. But you might be able to find something creative that's not downtown. But like I said it's so difficult as this place is so huge. Hopefully someone can help you out. If I think of anything I'll let you know.

Old 12-08-2006, 01:06 PM

6 posts, read 39,858 times
I would look downtown. The drive will be a decent distance, but you should be going the opposite direction of traffic. Its still a good 20-30 minute drive, but you will have some night life. Also if he rides a bike he can use the HOV lane which will safe some time. There is nothing in Glendale or Peoria that is gonna keep a couple w/o kids content. I did live on 35th ave and Deer Valley about 5 years ago and got snow twice. That was kinda cool. =)~

Old 12-08-2006, 01:38 PM

602 posts, read 1,263,650 times
I've racked my brains and I like the MMI area a lot. I lived and worked around there, drove past MMI a couple times a day for years. But unless your definitions of big-city, options, and creativity vary widely from mine, I have to concur with the rest of the posters here: you aren't going to find that in the immediate area. Or even relatively close by.

I would agree that downtown is probably your best bet. Tempe would be OK too, but the would be TOO far, I think.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, I might try downtown and just commute. I've seen a few lofts for a good price and that sounds pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area