Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 890 times

Advertisements

Hello new neighbors,

I am 55, retired, living on a fixed income. My options for relocating to different states were limited due to the cost of housing. AZ seemed to best meet my needs. I do have a few questions/concerns:

1.) I am used to the hottest humid summer days in NYC. They suck but I have been dealing with them my entire life. It seems there are two different viewpoints regarding weather in AZ (Phoenix area).
I will either be living in the pits of hell or I will love AZ and deal with the weather. Love to hear from any East Coasters who have made the transition.

2.)My MAX budget for a new home is $260,000. I noticed many homes in this price range have nice pools. I will be spending a lot of time at home and was wondering if a pool really helps deal with the heat?? Any idea how much it would cost to pay someone to maintain it?

3.) What area to move to??

I am a blues/rock musician and need to be close to music venues and other musicians.

I love jet skiing. I would like to be within an hour drive to a lake. I was told canyon lake or lake pleasant.

I have a Harley

I like a vibrant city.

I like a nightlife in moderation.

I want to live in the burbs but as close to a city as possible. When I want to have a few drinks, I prefer to use Uber and not deal with driving. So need the close proximity from home to city.

Low crime area

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to respond. Much appreciated.

FYI...I am flying out on the 28th so I will have a chance to do a test drive of the AZ heat.

Peace
BobbyD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 12:42 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,156,912 times
Well...as has been stated many times to folks moving here from an actual Urban City...this is very different than NYC. There is no need to go into DT Phoenix for drinks or nightlife. It is all very dispersed. I mean you CAN...just that those activities are not limited to downtown...and most of us find downtown lacking in those areas. If you are looking to be close to lakes, etc. I would say look at N Phoenix/Deer Valley area for Lake Pleasant. Maybe East Mesa/Gilbert for Canyon. Saguaro would be doable from those areas as well.

Not sure on the Blues thing but there are probably some bars/venues in those areas. If you REALLY want to be closer to DT Phoenix than maybe looking at the Dreamy Draw area?

Old 08-21-2017, 02:00 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,052,619 times
I recommend thinking over whether you MUST have your own backyard pool or whether a nearby HOA pool will do.

Personally, I wouldn't want to do all the maintenance/costs associated with a private pool. I'm happy to use the public pools in my HOA. Plus a pool gobbles up a good % of your backyard

Old 08-21-2017, 02:42 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,749,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Well...as has been stated many times to folks moving here from an actual Urban City...this is very different than NYC. There is no need to go into DT Phoenix for drinks or nightlife. It is all very dispersed. I mean you CAN...just that those activities are not limited to downtown...and most of us find downtown lacking in those areas. If you are looking to be close to lakes, etc. I would say look at N Phoenix/Deer Valley area for Lake Pleasant. Maybe East Mesa/Gilbert for Canyon. Saguaro would be doable from those areas as well.

Not sure on the Blues thing but there are probably some bars/venues in those areas. If you REALLY want to be closer to DT Phoenix than maybe looking at the Dreamy Draw area?
One person's opinion. I missed where he was nominated to speak for "most of us". Downtown isn't Manhattan but it's more urban than the strip center environment you'll find elsewhere.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
One person's opinion. I missed where he was nominated to speak for "most of us". Downtown isn't Manhattan but it's more urban than the strip center environment you'll find elsewhere.
Actually...many people's opinion...point being...downtown is NOT the epicenter of nightlife and entertainment in the Valley Metro. No, we don't need to turn this into a "Downtown is growing up" thread either. There are other places well outside downtown Phoenix with plays, museums, concert venues, etc. The only thing Downtown has going for it is the Diamondbacks and the Suns...if you are into that. Just letting the OP know that he doesn't NEED to go Downtown for those things...they are pretty well dispersed around the Valley.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:50 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,749,257 times
Had you said "many of us" I would have had no disagreement. The person asking the question has no idea whether or not you are stating fact or opinion. I strongly disagree with stuff like "The only thing Downtown has going for it is the Diamondbacks and the Suns" and he needs to know that your opinion is not universally held. I would think that if he wanted more than a bar next to a supermarket in the suburbs he would want to look at places near Downtown Phoenix or Old Town Scottsdale. He's not going to be anywhere near a "vibrant city" in Gilbert or East Mesa.

Last edited by pbenjamin; 08-21-2017 at 03:59 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 03:58 PM

Or Tempe or Gilbert or Glendale or Chandler...yes, we both have a bias towards the type of living we prefer. There is nothing in downtown Phoenix that can't be had elsewhere in the valley except sports. I will apologize for the "most of us"..."Most of the people I know and associate with, who come from all walks of life, would rather have a root canal than go downtown". Better?

OP Also stated he wanted to be within an hour to the lake. If he wants a suburb, access to the lakes, but still wants to be able to have a "moderate nightlife"...downtown Phoenix is not it nor does he really need to go down there to have a "thriving city" experience. Downtown Phoenix is far from a thriving city experience when he is coming from NYC...other than the buildings.

Besides, the OP stated he wanted to live in the suburbs. Just letting him know that he doesn't have to go downtown to find nightlife. Geesh.

Last edited by KurtAZ; 08-21-2017 at 04:16 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 04:09 PM

406 posts, read 625,006 times
So anyway OP, the element of the summer that may get overlooked is the length and relentless nature. While the worst of the heat may be confined to June and July, it stays pretty warm (as in high 90s) through September and a real break in the heat/warmth may not occur until October. Winters in NYC are harsh, no doubt about it, but it pales in comparison to the places where some AZ transplants come form such as Northern Michigan, N Minnesota, Dakotas, and Canada.

If you can, maybe do not buy a house that is the maximum range of your budget and use some of the discretionary income to spend some time in Prescott or Flagstaff for a few days or weeks in the summer.

The sun is not your friend, I concur with those who discourage having a pool of your own as a means of cooling off. Do you mind riding your Harley at night? Prolonged exposure such as sitting by a pool or on a vehicle with no protection are not good ideas. The offset to limiting your motorcycle riding at night in summer is that you basically have the whole winter of pleasant sunny days to enjoy a trip.

Phoenix is a very suburban city. Think Long Island when trying to get a rough idea of the urban landscape. Nightlife in moderation is very possible and with some research you can find a place that specializes in the genre of music you enjoy most.

Almost anywhere in the metro area will be an hour drive to a lake where you can enjoy your jet ski. To put in a nutshell, it will be almost all desert to the south of you and mountains to the north.

Last edited by azmemories; 08-21-2017 at 04:21 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 04:11 PM

406 posts, read 625,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmemories View Post
So anyway OP, the element of the summer that may get overlooked is the length and relentless nature. While the worst of the heat may be confined to June and July, it stays pretty warm (as in high 90s) through September and a real break in the heat/warmth may go through October. Winters in NYC are harsh, no doubt about it, but it pales in comparison to the places where some AZ transplants come form such Northern Michigan, N Minnesota, Dakotas, and Canada.

If you can, maybe do not buy a house that is the maximum range of your budget and use some of the discretionary income to spend some time in Prescott or Flagstaff for a few days or weeks.

The sun is not your friend, I concur with those who discourage having a pool of your own as a means of cooling off. Do you mind riding your Harley at night? Prolonged exposure such as sitting by a pool or on a vehicle with no protection are not good ideas. The offset to limiting your motorcycle riding at night in summer is that you basically have the whole winter of pleasant sunny days to enjoy a trip.

Phoenix is a very suburban city. Think Long Island when trying to get a rough idea of the urban landscape. Nightlife in moderation is very possible and with some research you can find a place that specialized in the genre of music you enjoy most.

Almost anywhere in the metro area will be an hour drive to a lake where you can enjoy your jet ski. To put in a nutshell, it will be almost all desert to the south of you and mountains to the north.

The last point about the length of summer is that in your second year by May or even late April, you may be in mindset of "oh no, here we go again".

Old 08-21-2017, 04:28 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,973,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyD-NYC View Post

FYI...I am flying out on the 28th so I will have a chance to do a test drive of the AZ heat.

Peace
BobbyD
This aint heat anymore. Come back next mid-June, test the 116-120 degree waters then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area