Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 05:44 PM

186 posts, read 195,841 times

Advertisements

Resale homes usually come in at a lower tax rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 09:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,045,263 times
Generally new builds have little to no yards as well as a price premium (I've heard up to 40%) over existing homes.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:12 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,979,122 times
Where I live, new build condos go for 2.8 times PSF as resale, but only command 1.8 times the rent...and they are on!y new once. YMMV. But, not all used are the same..different periods have their own issues, as well as the individual builders. The homes from 2004-2008, were horrible in quality, and also had bad locations and small lots. So I would take new over a 10-12 yo, but would take a 1950 or 60s home on a nice lot without an HOA over any of them. Focus on stuff that can't be changed. A good school district will sell better than a tennis court of granite. I never really used the word exurb till I lived in Phoenix...it is definitely surrounded by some. Many that babble on about how great they are, might not be so enthusiastic if they had to go to Thomas and Central five days week. Look at the soil maps. Clay soil is bad. An older home on good soil is a very safe bet, that you can visually inspect. Also, some of the smaller municipalities have high water/sewer.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:24 AM

483 posts, read 666,547 times
If you build, avoid Pulte like the plague. Currently a huge class-action law suit going on against them.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:33 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,979,122 times
The builders are frequently being sued. The stucco case was dismissed last September in Florida..likely others pending.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:38 PM

550 posts, read 1,128,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
The builders are frequently being sued. The stucco case was dismissed last September in Florida..likely others pending.
We are in a Pulte home and cannot complain. Stucco will crack no matter what. And the funny thing is that one day you will see a crack here and when you look at it a few days later it's not there anymore. We had our house repainted a couple of years ago, the company who did it repaired the few cracks we had before painting and since then I have not seen another crack. Don't know the specifics of the paint he used, but he did not water it down like some painters and probably Pulte does.

Old 08-27-2017, 03:20 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
I say buy used:

1. Mature landscape
2. Find one with a pool
3. Older home tend to be less efficient, but the money saved over new could be used for new windows, a/c and appliances.

Not sure of your price range, but look at homes by two lewis, cachet, Ashton woods, and shea.....most are well built and designed and tend to be in ice neighborhoods.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Unless you have pretty deep pockets, new builds tend to be further out. Determine a location that best suits you and then worry about the details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
As Patrick said, there's a lot of good reasons to go older, being closer in and having a more mature area are two great reasons and why I personally chose to go with an older home. Do you know where you'll both be working? Where his daughter lives? And an idea of what your budget will be? If so we can narrow down some areas/neighborhoods that fit your needs. Arcadia is a great spot depending on the above, there are also older sections of North Central Phoenix that are beautiful and put you really close to tons of great food, entertainment, etc... It really depends on what you're looking for.

Tempe, Glendale and Scottsdale all have older/more established neighborhoods that have beautiful homes as well.

I can't speak too much on new builds, I've never considered living in an area that far outside of town so I didn't look into them much.

Good advice here. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2017, 03:48 PM

164 posts, read 184,302 times
You can have all the stucco you want. I couldn't be any happier than to be in my 1950 red brick ranch house built on farmland with flood irrigation. It's equally close to Arcadia, Paradise Valley, Biltmore, downtown and Tempe. Anything you stick in the ground grows. I don't have to compete in rush hour traffic anymore. I feel sorry for the people in the cars on TV that are at a standstill on the freeways trying to get from one place to another. Location, location location.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:22 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,287,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Street View Post
You can have all the stucco you want. I couldn't be any happier than to be in my 1950 red brick ranch house built on farmland with flood irrigation. It's equally close to Arcadia, Paradise Valley, Biltmore, downtown and Tempe. Anything you stick in the ground grows. I don't have to compete in rush hour traffic anymore. I feel sorry for the people in the cars on TV that are at a standstill on the freeways trying to get from one place to another. Location, location location.
You don't have to be in a 1950's house to be in resale. My 2007 built semi custom home has all the benefits of newer homes (energy efficient, tall ceilings, modern floorplan, etc) but I got it as a short sale 4 years ago and saved on the new home premium. I'm all about resale as long as it's in a location you want and with the floor plan you want. Finishes can be changed. For instance I changed flooring, counter tops, put in a 48 inch built in fridge and wine chiller and remodeled the pool a bit to fit my preferences, still for much less than a new build. People don't realize the premium the builder has on all the options.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:35 AM

728 posts, read 1,901,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEBMurray View Post
We love living in California, but we want to move to Arizona to be closer to my husband's daughter. Right now it's a 8-9 hour drive to see her
8-9 hour drive from Elsinore? Takes me less than 5 to drive from Phoenix to Rancho Cucamonga. You guys taking the scenic route or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area