Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:23 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,695,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Yes. I shake my head every year when I see streets buckling and folks are being warned to stay indoors in front of the AC because of the terrible heat wave when the temps is (gasp!) 90 degrees. Heat wimps is right! Out here we don't even break a sweat until it's 110.
Thats why they call AZ the surface of the sun! oooh sorry I mean valley of the sun!!LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 12:29 PM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
They tell you to stay inside when its 90? Now thats rediculous. Up here, 90 is smokin. Down there 90 degrees is the norm from late April until early November sometimes. Do they seriously tell you to stay indoors? Never seen that on the news while down there when it was over 100.
I meant in the midwest. We can take it out here. I don't know the exact criteria but excessive heat warnings start at around 115 and then only if humidity is high (30% or so).

And another thing. You don't go out hunting snakes and scorpions when it is 110. Snakes and scorpions are arguably smarter than the people around here because they hide out in the heat of the day and roam around at night when it is cooler. Get some snake boots and a black light and have some fun in the moonlight.

Old 12-12-2006, 12:41 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,518,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I meant in the midwest. We can take it out here. I don't know the exact criteria but excessive heat warnings start at around 115 and then only if humidity is high (30% or so).

And another thing. You don't go out hunting snakes and scorpions when it is 110. Snakes and scorpions are arguably smarter than the people around here because they hide out in the heat of the day and roam around at night when it is cooler. Get some snake boots and a black light and have some fun in the moonlight.
Thats kinda risky. Snakes are ectothermic, they HIDE in the daylight, under rocks, making your chances of accidentally stepping on one dramatically decrease. I have a 4' snake hook that I use to flip the lighter rocks (which you should always roll towards you--to kinda act like a shield) so my hands dont have to get too close. I have snake pants, but no boots. I picked up a pair from Gander Mountain out here and love em! I got bit by a copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix) in Missouri, about 4" above my right ankle. All I felt was a light thud, not even a puncture mark on the pants. And yes, it bit me, the mouth was completely open, it wasnt a threat lunge that some snakes will give.

Yes, snakes and scorpions are nocturnal, and for good reason. However, when I go blacklighting, its just too creepy (even for me) out there. My blacklight only illuminates maybe 3' around me, so I have to walk hunched over and I cant see crap. Then all the bugs flock to me, making it miserable. Plus, snakes dont flouresce, which makes nighttime hunting very risky. I was about 5" from stepping on a Crotalus atrox (western diamondback rattlesnake) in my FIL's Scottsdale yard. Im just very luck I happened to look down before I stepped, or else Id have experienced my 2nd bite, and that time w/o the snake pants.

I have far better luck with daytime hunting than with nighttime hunting. The last 2 weeks I was there I spent alot of time at Lost Dutchmen, Phoenix Mountain Preserves, my FIL's yard, and Sedona. Blacklighting makes them easier to spot, but daytime hunting is easier to find them, as theyre all hiding and not roaming about the substrate.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 PM

421 posts, read 350,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Again how do you know how many times I have been there? I said I was there 1 winter, as in not two at a time!! and yes my fet got all wet from the slush on the sidewalk, and froze so I had to wear boots, as many people were that day.And I never said I went hiking in the mountains when it is 118!! You did, I said we can do things outside, again stop reading things that I havent said. again not a bub. and you know what I have done yard work in 108, didnt die, had my hat on and sunscreen and drank plenty of water, still here, you adjust, well some of us moving on now, back to the real AZ.

108 hahaha? that's considered a cool Summer day here.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:47 PM

421 posts, read 350,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
DOH! Gotcha bout the buddette thingy. LOL

80 isnt bad in PHX, in fact its perfect. 90 degrees and the sun starts feeling really hot, but not too horrible. 100 and its quite uncomfortable. 110 and above, forget it. I was out in the Lost Dutchman area scorpion/snake hunting. I didnt last more than 1 hour. It was just uncomfortable. My water felt like it was microwaved, my neck felt like it was literally being licked by flames. I think I also got 3rd degree burns from touching/flipping the rocks. YOUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My car thermometer showed 111 degrees that day. My portable thermometer (I use for taking ground temps at sites) showed 130 degrees in the car. Talk about frickin hot!!! I can only imagine the 123 degree day you guys had in the late 90s. Thats just ludicrous. WOW!

My air conditioner went out that day when it was 123.

Oh yes my car temp has been 130 and above many times, you better have a steering wheel cover.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,796,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-o
The only time people jog/hike in the summer is in the super early AM hours (im talking 5 am to 8 am, before the heat hits hard). Ive hiked several mountains in the summer, and unless you have LOTS of water, youll dehydrate and die, not to mention the fact that its just downright stupid to do anything outdoor in the summer except sit inside or in the shade. Ive hiked Mummy Mountain, Camelback, Piestawa (sp?) and Pinnacle Peak, all in the early fall when the temps were only in the mid 90s, and its extremely hard and extremely hot. In fact, I had to sit in the shade of a Saguaro on Mummy Mountain for an hour as I didnt bring enough water and really could have been in deep s*** had my brother in law not been there with me to go down and get more water for me. So please dont say I dont have a clue about life down there. I know dang well that in the summer you dont see anyone (except stupid tourists) out on the streets enjoying a nice walk when its 118 degrees.
Just HAD to comment here...
Lived in Tucson for 3 years.
Used to SPEEDWALK - MIDDAY - 7 MILES - 112 DEGREES.
No I'm not dead, no I am not stupid, & no I was not a tourist.
Some of us can deal with the heat.
You can't.
That's why you're in Chicago.
Nothing wrong with either.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:16 PM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times
People tend to overstate just how hot it really is here. In the 100 years from 1896-1995 the average number of days over 110 was less than 10 per year and the average number of days over 100 was less than 90. So 355 days it is less than 110 and 275 it is less than 100. Seems a lot worse than that in the middle of summer, I'll admit. The nights are warmer too in some parts of town which doesn't help.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:57 PM

3 posts, read 7,694 times
I would really love to hear the real pros and cons about Phoenix and its surrounding communities, or anywhere else in Arizona that you think might be a good fit for my family.

I've been in the Chicagoland area my whole life -- work downtown, but always lived in one of the remote suburbs. I'm a single mom who will be an empty-nester in 4 yrs. I'm in real estate law. My community preferences are places with a short (1/2 hr. or less) commute to work; close to outdoor recreation and just as close to night-life fun. I am a "nature" person, who just doesn't want the inconvenience of long drives to get to business and entertainment (did that for too long). If I could find a small-town feel community, with small-town principles and friendliness, that just happens to have a vibrant business, recreation and social life, I'd be in 2nd heaven (smile). Its also important to me that the area has an excellent high school (kids are in private school now, but I'd like to forego that expense for their last few years in preparation of the bigger expenses of college). And, last, my boys are sports enthusiasts, so they need to be in a community where they can easily get to athletic/sports/youth center-type facilities. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money initially on a purchase -- as a matter of fact, will probably rent the 1st year to be sure I like the area.

Okay, now that I've described my "perfect mate" of a community, any suggestions on where I might look in Arizona or is my perfect mate a Utopian idea? Oh - forgot to mention -- safety is a BIG concern of mine -- where I live now, we still don't have to lock doors. I can get used to the idea of locking a door, but I don't want to be in an area where I know if I forgot to lock I can kiss my possessions goodbye (smile), and I want to be able to walk down the street at night without my German Shephard if I feel like it (know what I mean).
Okay, I guess that about covers it (thankfully) -- thanks for any suggestions!

Old 12-17-2006, 06:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
Just HAD to comment here...
Lived in Tucson for 3 years.
Used to SPEEDWALK - MIDDAY - 7 MILES - 112 DEGREES.
No I'm not dead, no I am not stupid, & no I was not a tourist.
Some of us can deal with the heat.
You can't.
That's why you're in Chicago.
Nothing wrong with either.
I'm the same way, I can run/ride a bike for a couple of miles when its 110+ out. Also since theres soo many public pools here that are open in the summer, I can swim all day with my shirt off and I dont even get a sun burned.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:51 PM

57 posts, read 72,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Really, if I think about it, there aren't many people who have come to visit that didn't like it, and I mean really like it.
Is this a joke? For every three people that move to Phoenix, two leave. No other city can claim such a stat. That means that growth is occurring, but it also certainly proves that many people that go to Phoenix do not like it.
Quote:
I've been to Chicago once, and while I loved it because I love the whole urban thing, it does have a feeling of run-down, old, and dirty compared to Phoenix.
Phoenix is filthy! There is much more dust and polution than in Chicago! Chicago has a wind blowing to keep the air somewhat clean, while Phoenix is in a sh1t-hole, I mean valley without any wind, and it is more car reliant per capita than any other city in the western world.
Quote:
Sure there are parts of Phoenix that are the same, but 75% is pretty new or brand new.
That is called character. It's a part of any city of substantial age in the world, but it is does not mean that it is dirty. Phoenix though, besides the high polution and filthy dust, is ugly because it lacks any sort of charter and historical construction.
Quote:
We complain that we have no real downtown or urban scene, but really how much of the population wants to live that life style?
Many people would if it was available. Any city in the western world that has a good and liveable CBD (downtown) is a very high demand area to live in. Urban living is fun, interesting and exciting, while suburban living is dull and boring.
Quote:
It's probably appealing to 10-20% and the rest would rather live in a large house, with a garage they can pull right in to, and a nice backyard in a quiet neighborhood.
In any other city in the world, people may choose to live in the suburbs, but at least they can visit the CBD (downtown) for a day of shopping, or to see the buildings, or for a night out, but not in Phoenix! People that live in the suburbs in Phoenix are stuck in the suburbs because that is all there is. Suburbs only, like ugly Chandler, and all other parts of the Pheonix metro area!

Not only that, but to have an urban centre, or an urban heart is important to a city. It creates character and cuture for that city. Because Phoenix does not have that heart it is in fact not a city, and it should not be called one, just one big ugly suburb, and Chicago is a far, far better place. Chicago is cleaner and has less crime per capita as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area