Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 09:47 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,009,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcartmel View Post
Thanks, that is exactly what I am looking for. I'm graduating in May and am debating moving to the Scottsdale Area over Colorado. I love the outdoors and like the Phoenix area but am still not sure how I could handle the heat in the summers. Any opinions on the matter would help. Thanks.
Don't avoid a place because of weather.

Go for what you think would be the better place to live - And in my opinion - That would be Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 09:56 PM

123 posts, read 561,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Really, if I think about it, there aren't many people who have come to visit that didn't like it, and I mean really like it.

An older friend of my girlfriend's mom came to visit from Chicago, her first time here in Phoenix. She loves it, is already making plans to move, and wants to open a restaurant possibly.

Her biggest highlights are that it's very calm and quiet here, and very open. Also, she says it's very clean and people seem well put together and nicely dressed.

To be realistic, she's right. Most of us kind of get used to living here and you start to overlook things...but coming from Chicago where she lives in a high rise right on the lake, Phoenix is everything she says. I've been to Chicago once, and while I loved it because I love the whole urban thing, it does have a feeling of run-down, old, and dirty compared to Phoenix. Sure there are parts of Phoenix that are the same, but 75% is pretty new or brand new. We complain that we have no real downtown or urban scene, but really how much of the population wants to live that life style? It's probably appealing to 10-20% and the rest would rather live in a large house, with a garage they can pull right in to, and a nice backyard in a quiet neighborhood.
Exactly! Plus I have found alot more here. I remember my first visit to Phoenix, it felt like home. It seems to have everything I am looking for. My semi-final plane leaves out of DTW Tuesday at 2:50pm, and Ill be back to old OH probably once more for the rest, then Ill make the 29 hour drive to Phoenix and never look back.

Happy holidays all!

Old 12-23-2006, 12:18 AM

29 posts, read 88,606 times
Phoenix is nothing more than a poorly conceived cultural wasteland of strip malls and fake breasted blondes who think monster trucks are sophisticated, ASU is the Harvard of the West, and anyone who expresses interest in progressive politics or foreign affairs is a bit odd. I cannot think of a single educated professional who has lived in a real city (aka: NYC, SF, London) who has been impressed.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:43 AM

217 posts, read 671,925 times
KidA, I agree with you completely. However, most people in this forum won't agree with you because they don't "get it." Most people in this country, and on this forum, want to go to work, eat their McDonalds hamburger, and stop by Petsmart on the way home. Even if they did get it, though, if they are raising kids (like a lot of transplants are doing) and looking for cheaper housing, they are happy to disappear into suburbia and therefore don't care about what they are missing by not living in real cultures like NYC, SF, or London.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:08 AM

123 posts, read 561,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert123 View Post
KidA, I agree with you completely. However, most people in this forum won't agree with you because they don't "get it." Most people in this country, and on this forum, want to go to work, eat their McDonalds hamburger, and stop by Petsmart on the way home. Even if they did get it, though, if they are raising kids (like a lot of transplants are doing) and looking for cheaper housing, they are happy to disappear into suburbia and therefore don't care about what they are missing by not living in real cultures like NYC, SF, or London.

Why should they have to "get it"? If they are happy doing whatever in suburbia what is wrong with that? Not everyone is into the "urban" scenes found in NYC, SF, or London, nor should they be forced to or criticized for not liking it.

To me, urban/suburban does not matter. I worry about natural things, like mountains, canyons, outdoors life, etc.... and in between, the city is just a place to stay. The more interests there, the better. I try to live as far outside of town as possible.

Old 12-23-2006, 01:52 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,784,860 times
I can't imagine anyone thinking that San Francisco is better than Phoenix. The last convention we were unfortunate to attend in that septic tank of a city, we had to step over human waste and the humans that were resposible. They treat their homeless like pets instead of people that need help. The smell of the bleach that they spray in the ally and the sidewalks make you sick it is so strong. We love Phoenix! This is the cleanest big city we have been to. Peoria is even cleaner.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:42 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,535,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Warner View Post
I can't imagine anyone thinking that San Francisco is better than Phoenix. The last convention we were unfortunate to attend in that septic tank of a city, we had to step over human waste and the humans that were resposible. They treat their homeless like pets instead of people that need help. The smell of the bleach that they spray in the ally and the sidewalks make you sick it is so strong. We love Phoenix! This is the cleanest big city we have been to. Peoria is even cleaner.

Either A) youve never been to San Fransisco or B) youve never been "downtown" Phoenix. On a whole San Fran is much cleaner and much more vibrant. And if you want to talk bums, take a stroll to any intersection in Scottsdale (mainly Old Town area) or Phoenix's "downtown" and youll have to literally walk over them there are so many. In comparison, San Fran has Phoenix beat in every aspect hands down (except rainfall and sunshine), particularly in the temperature range.

Old 12-24-2006, 02:35 PM

39,129 posts, read 51,428,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

Either A) youve never been to San Fransisco or B) youve never been "downtown" Phoenix. On a whole San Fran is much cleaner and much more vibrant. And if you want to talk bums, take a stroll to any intersection in Scottsdale (mainly Old Town area) or Phoenix's "downtown" and youll have to literally walk over them there are so many. In comparison, San Fran has Phoenix beat in every aspect hands down (except rainfall and sunshine), particularly in the temperature range.
I have to go with Jill Warner on this one. We visited SF this summer and were so disappointed. Bums and pan-handlers and litter EVERYWHERE. It is a beautiful city but if they don't deal with the transients or homeless or whatever, I think its reputation as a tourist destination may be seriously downgraded.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-24-2006 at 02:45 PM..

Old 12-24-2006, 06:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,535,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have to go with Jill Warner on this one. We visited SF this summer and were so disappointed. Bums and pan-handlers and litter EVERYWHERE. It is a beautiful city but if they don't deal with the transients or homeless or whatever, I think its reputation as a tourist destination may be seriously downgraded.
I was there 2 years ago and found it to be spotless. I cant imagine things have changed in that amount of time. There are spots of Phoenix that are far dirtier than San Fran. Both cities have their nice spots and nasty spots, but on a whole, San Fran was cleaner, I felt safer, and there was better food and lots more to do in San Fran. Phoenix is ok in certain aspects, but on a whole San Fran is worlds above Phoenix, and we all know this. Maybe they had a garbage strike when you were there? Thats all I can think of.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:14 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,411,962 times
There is absolutely no comparison between Phoenix and San Francisco.

Phoenix is a wannabe LA without the beach and good weather (about the only thing that makes LA bearable).

San Francisco is a real, cosmopolitan, sophisticated, and international city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area