Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2017, 12:22 PM

159 posts, read 225,821 times

Advertisements

We have Bermuda grass in our small front yard. When we moved in a year ago, it didn't look that great. We kept cutting it really short then by Feb. it was pretty scarce (my fault for cutting it too short!). Anyway, I got EZ Seed Patch & Repair and started applying it, then watering it afterwards... well in just a few weeks, it got really full and green. It still looks really good.

Since this is a rental property, we aren't required to do overseeding for the winter. So I'd like to do whatever is necessary to keep it looking good. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 02:50 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,708 times
Bermuda grass won't stay green all year. Once night time temps drop to the 40's it goes dormant. The frost would kill it if it didn't go dormant. I have kept winter grass for two years in my backyard, but this summer killed it too hot too long.

Old 09-15-2017, 02:53 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,062 times
If the newly seeded area grows more quickly than the rest of the lawn, and produces seed tops, you may have damaged the lawn by introducing Bermuda seed. A lot of the Bermuda grass in Phoenix is hybrid Bermuda, often referred to as tiff. Hybrid Bermuda is typically introduced via sod, has no seeds. If allowed to produce seed tops the common Bermuda will eventually take over the entire lawn. Hybrid Bermuda is considered more desirable as it grows much slower.

Having said all of that, your lawn, whatever kind of Bermuda it is, going to go dormant in the winter and turn brown. Your alternatives are overseeding with Rye or applying turf paint.

https://www.amazon.com/000-4EverGree...rds=turf+paint

Old 09-15-2017, 10:51 PM

157 posts, read 356,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Bermuda grass won't stay green all year. Once night time temps drop to the 40's it goes dormant. The frost would kill it if it didn't go dormant. I have kept winter grass for two years in my backyard, but this summer killed it too hot too long.
Whhhaaattt? You have actually had luck in the past with getting rye grass to survive through the summer?

Old 09-16-2017, 11:19 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedus View Post
Whhhaaattt? You have actually had luck in the past with getting rye grass to survive through the summer?
If the area has lots of shade ryegrass can last quite a while.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:21 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
I find Bermuda does best between mid April and mid October here, so Rye is used from November to March

Old 09-20-2017, 08:57 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times
OP, first question is, what kind of seed was in the EZ seed patch and repair? If you were able to sprout it and get it growing in Feb, my guess is that the seed was tall fescue. Bermuda seed isn't likely to sprout and grow vigorously in chilly Feb, but tall fescue likes those temps.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:15 PM

159 posts, read 225,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
OP, first question is, what kind of seed was in the EZ seed patch and repair? If you were able to sprout it and get it growing in Feb, my guess is that the seed was tall fescue. Bermuda seed isn't likely to sprout and grow vigorously in chilly Feb, but tall fescue likes those temps.
Hi DougStark, I appreciate your note.... The EZ seed has mainly mulch, some fertilizer and transcontinental Bermudagrass seed. Since I don't know anything about grass seed, would you recommend that I add some fescue seed? I'd like to keep it looking good, and right now it's beautiful and looks like a carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area