Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:24 PM

22 posts, read 22,105 times

Advertisements

Ok so I recently moved from Eugene, Oregon to Phoenix. Im a mental health technician. In Eugene I was making about 18.45 a hour. When I got to Phoenix it dropped down to about 16.50. The reason why I moved down to Phoenix is because they had a private nursing school that I could get done in 2 years without pre reqs. I'm about to look into it but my old job really wants me back they offered me a dollar more to come back. My attitude when I was in Oregon was like I wanted something different. So I made the jump and moved to Phoenix. I'm working for the state now and I really don't like it. I'm currently by myself in Phoenix no friends here. Everything was back home in Oregon. I've been applying at different places. I applied in Tucson at a hospital and they were willing to match what I had in Oregon. Tucson also has the same private nursing school. I have a interview in Tucson on Monday. My question is should I wait to see what Tucson can offer me and try to go to school. Or go back home. My dad works at the college down there and I can get my tuition for free. But it would take longer to get my nursing degree. Any input would help. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 07:28 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,701,773 times
Home sweet home it is.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:48 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,197,451 times
I'm a mom, so I'm sure that impacts my thoughts on the matter. I would go back home where you can get your nursing education tuition-free, thanks to your father's employment. It sounds like the school offering the 2-year degree is a private school, likely with high tuition. My suggestion is to go back there, and try to get admitted to the nursing-program and get that degree without going into debt!

That being said, I would investigate what percentage of applicants are actually accepted into the formal College of Nursing program where your dad works. Private, accredited, "For profit" colleges usually admit a higher percentage of applicants. Just figure out if you want to have that debt-load impacting life decisions such as marriage, starting a family, and debt-to-income ratio for a car/condo/home loans.

Good luck to you, and I hope everything works out well for you.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,093,808 times
I misread your post to say that you could go to a college in Tucson for free. If the college is in OR, I think you'd be much better off going back home. Taking longer to graduate sounds like less of a concern than a bill for college. Without that factor, I'd say don't give up yet (depending on how long you've been in AZ) because two dollars less an hour doesn't sound bad considering the cost of living difference.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:26 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,756,089 times
My opinion, Rico . . . STAY in Phoenix or give Tucson a shot.

Forget about going back home as it is never the same once you have ventured out.

Also, depending on where in Oregon, the weather is much better in both Tucson and Phoenix overall plus the dollar or two pay difference is nothing compared to the Cost of Living difference.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:11 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,634,762 times
There's a reason you left Oregon beyond just school. You just haven't acknowledged it yet. I'd give Tucson a try. The first move is always the hardest one, and you survived. When you get in Tucson, get involved in some groups so you can make friends. And Bummer is right - home is never the same once you leave. I'm not saying you can't go back home, you can, but don't expect it to be the same because if nothing else, you aren't the same any more.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:53 AM

13,956 posts, read 8,127,167 times
I moved away at 25. Maybe two months went by and I wanted to return.

My mother told me to give it a bit more time. Ended up staying for 5 years and was glad I did.

Another vote for giving Tucson a try.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:28 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,093,808 times
I'm all for adventure & feeling free to move about the country, as the airline commercial says, but that free college deal sounds like a good financial decision. I'm surprised that's being overlooked. Seriously...go to college for free and move away from OR again for something different after you graduate.

There's also probably a good reason it's working out that your job in OR wants you back enough to give you a raise.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:18 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,194,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
My opinion, Rico . . . STAY in Phoenix or give Tucson a shot.

Forget about going back home as it is never the same once you have ventured out.

Also, depending on where in Oregon, the weather is much better in both Tucson and Phoenix overall plus the dollar or two pay difference is nothing compared to the Cost of Living difference.
The OP discussed this change in June of this year, so I don't imagine the town has changed so drastically between moving and now that it's not the same.

OP, you'll probably notice people mentioning weather because that's really all they've got here. I'm not putting in 16+ hour days of paid work/looking for work for my health. If you have an easy exit, I'd take it before the window closes.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:31 AM

19,460 posts, read 27,938,010 times
I didn't read the whole thread, but if you've got free tuition anywhere, take it. Regardless of where you're living or if it takes a little longer. You're young - in the big picture, few years living someplace you don't like is nothing. But being buried in student debt? That's a long, ugly monkey on your back.

I also suspect that the type of RN licensure is different from this 2 year private school
Versus the longer (probably bachelor's degree) program. Take a minute and look at the job opportunities and salaries for both - look at long term and short term prospects. You'll end up in the longer program if you have ambition and/or a desire for a higher salary.

This one is a no Brainer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area