Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 12:33 PM

157 posts, read 356,446 times

Advertisements

Due to a ton of shade from my mature Ash trees, my Bermuda on my front lawn never came in this summer. It looked awful😔 With high eighties in the forecast, I bit the bullet and put down the perennial rye last night. Crossing my fingers I didn't jump the gun. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 01:16 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,601,599 times
You may have jumped the gun by two weeks or so, but water it for short periods of time at least 4 times a day until it comes in. You may have to sprinkle down a bit more seed to fill in the bare spots in another month.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:20 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
We have the same issue, a very shady yard. The Bermuda is mostly gone.

A guy in the garden department at Home Depot suggested tall fescue, which I am going to try seeding this year. The hope is that it will be a year-round grass. It takes more water than Bermuda, though, which is a negative. I hope to get it seeded this weekend, as it's supposed to go in a couple of weeks before the usual time for winter rye.

You might be okay with the rye seed, as we're getting a bit of a cold snap right now (well, yeah, whatever you want to call it!).

Old 09-22-2017, 01:58 PM

157 posts, read 356,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
We have the same issue, a very shady yard. The Bermuda is mostly gone.

A guy in the garden department at Home Depot suggested tall fescue, which I am going to try seeding this year. The hope is that it will be a year-round grass. It takes more water than Bermuda, though, which is a negative. I hope to get it seeded this weekend, as it's supposed to go in a couple of weeks before the usual time for winter rye.

You might be okay with the rye seed, as we're getting a bit of a cold snap right now (well, yeah, whatever you want to call it!).
Last year I had my rye in the 1st of October and it didn't seem to get out of the 90s all month. Rye survived just fine

Old 09-22-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedus View Post
Last year I had my rye in the 1st of October and it didn't seem to get out of the 90s all month. Rye survived just fine

It'll probably be okay. I've always read that the overnight lows are more important that the highs, with a target in the 60's F, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by hikernut; 09-22-2017 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-22-2017, 02:37 PM

640 posts, read 957,285 times
The general rule of thumb I have always followed is when the nighttime temps are consistently around 65, it's time to overseed. Usually 1st week of October. Golf courses have already started over seeding so you can probably get away with it now. Just keep the seed wet especially next week when temps will be in upper 90's.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:43 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
If your bermuda is thinning out and dying due to shade, consider replacing the entire lawn with one of the zoysia varieties. It tolerates shade better than bermuda (but no easy task killing one species and replacing it with another one.)

Old 09-22-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
If your bermuda is thinning out and dying due to shade, consider replacing the entire lawn with one of the zoysia varieties. It tolerates shade better than bermuda (but no easy task killing one species and replacing it with another one.)

We have precious little Bermuda left. I've been killing the dichondera and weeds that filled in this summer. We've just been keeping it mowed and didn't get any complaint letters yet.

Is the zoyisa applied as seed? sod? plugs?

Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area