Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 07:22 PM

40 posts, read 77,644 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating from Southern California to Phoenix within the next month. Although I would have preferred a stress-free move using a moving company or PODS, my husband insists he wants to save money by doing a self move using a rental truck. I have already priced the various companies for a 26 foot truck (U-Haul = $966, Budget = $762, Penske = $970 & Enterprise = $533) plus budgeted $120 gas money for the 360 mile trip from Lake Elsinore to Gilbert. That puts our potential costs roughly between $650 and $1100.

Based on your experience with the various rental truck companies, the actual experience driving their trucks and your interface with their customer service, who would you choose and why? With a difference of $450, I'm willing to fork over more money for a better experience.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 07:44 PM

675 posts, read 1,413,887 times
I think any difference in service and functionality is going to be anecdotal. I've always just gone with the best deal that worked for me for the truck and times I've needed. Pickup/dropoff locations are also a factor. That said, I've used Budget trucks both ways from LA/Phx.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:33 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
I've used Penske trucks several times, most recently about a month ago & they were pretty good. I've hauled a car each time & there's been some drama about getting a trailer to the pickup location (usually solved with an additional discount & a short wait while they go fetch a trailer from another location).

Just an FYI about Penske's pricing - if you go to their website & put your phone # in the pop up & *don't* reserve a truck, you'll usually get a phone call the next day offering an even better price (done it twice)..

One more caveat with budget- even if you buy the super-premium insurance, it doesn't cover the roof of the truck - which is super-easy to damage if you're not experienced driving box trucks. Penske's insurance does cover the roof. That's why I've chosen Penske's trucks every time, even though budget was cheaper. Penske wouldn't match budgets price. U haul was just silly expensive compared & their trucks are often awful.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:50 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Penske has been great for me for long hauls, and U-haul for shorter distances.

Old 09-30-2017, 12:59 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,953,154 times
As Zippyman mentioned about insurance, one perk to UHaul is that the trucks are usually beat to hell and therefore the damage would not be noticed.

I've done UHaul and Budget. They aren't much different, but every UHaul truck I've ever rented smelled like cigarettes and had seen better days

Old 09-30-2017, 01:02 PM

215 posts, read 258,517 times
You might try asking this on the Moving Forum too!

-HR

Old 09-30-2017, 01:14 PM

31 posts, read 50,277 times
Default Military Discount available with some companies-FYI

Military discounts are available....PLUS Penske contracts with Home Depot...handy return!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEBMurray View Post
My husband and I will be relocating from Southern California to Phoenix within the next month. Although I would have preferred a stress-free move using a moving company or PODS, my husband insists he wants to save money by doing a self move using a rental truck. I have already priced the various companies for a 26 foot truck (U-Haul = $966, Budget = $762, Penske = $970 & Enterprise = $533) plus budgeted $120 gas money for the 360 mile trip from Lake Elsinore to Gilbert. That puts our potential costs roughly between $650 and $1100.

Based on your experience with the various rental truck companies, the actual experience driving their trucks and your interface with their customer service, who would you choose and why? With a difference of $450, I'm willing to fork over more money for a better experience.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!

Old 10-01-2017, 06:15 PM

533 posts, read 479,288 times
I did Penske. There was a AAA discount. IT was way cheaper than UHaul.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:55 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
I rented from UHaul. The truck seen better days. As in, the next stop was going to be sold https://www.uhaul.com/TruckSales/ .

Anyways, we had some Thomasville 1980's traditional style bedroom furniture that was built like a tank. We turned their chest upside down above the cab. That section is called the "Mom’s Attic" which they claim is a UHaul Exclusive https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/About...aul-Advantage/ .

In our 1800 mile trip from MN, the roof leaked. The fabric pads under the chest got partially soaked and the wood absorbed water all along the edge of the furniture. Back in the early 80's, my wife worked at Daytons and we got discount after discount after discount on this set. We "stole it" and paid $2K just for the chest back in 1983 dollars. So I took pictures, and filed a claim. It should have been a no-brainer. UHaul (corporate is here in PHX) turned down the claim. I talked with them 4 times on the topic. She said that the truck showed no history of a leak and the water test at the Surprise location didn't leak either. I asked if they tried driving the truck in a windy downpour and 70 MPH. If not, then either I'm a lair OR their test wasn't valid. She told me to pound sand. I called back and said I wanted to go visit the truck to double check their work. She said it was at their dealership to be sold.

Lesson. UHaul won't pay out. That's because they self insure.

Next lesson: fraud. I bought unlimited miles and paid by the days used. But their odometer was off. for me, it didn't matter. But for others who pay by the mile, absolutely! Anyways, their speedo is off as compared to my GPS 5 MPH high @70 mph (I was really going 65). I only looked closer exclusively because my gas mileage was too good to be true (about 12 MPG on a 20' truck). The bottomline was the miles were 8% higher because the speed was intentionally off. I called to told them what I found. They said no-biggy, this is common because they used smaller tires. Well, they are making 8% more from people who rent by the mile. that is a biggy. That's called theft and I suspect it was intentional that they never bothered to deduct 8% off peoples bill. After all, this isn't the 1st truck they rented with small tires and it is easy to verify. Now maybe their was a speedo problem and not the tires. This was an analog speedo. Did they change the gears? I never bothered to compute what size off tire would create that amount of error. But smaller tires was their answer.

So the next time I rent, I absolutely will rent with UHaul. And I'm going to buy all of the insurances. Then I might doze off while driving near Lake Pleasant. Good thing I'm going to get that insurance.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:51 AM

551 posts, read 692,846 times
Penske if you have AAA or a really long distance. Uhaul if its short and need something small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area