Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 6,023 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I constantly recommend this site to everyone I know who's relocating! I moved about seven years ago from Southern California to Chicago for work and this site was invaluable to me. I bought a nice building in a good area and couldn't have done it without the info I found here!

That said, I'm moving for work, yet again. This time hopefully for the last time (fingers crossed). I will be relocating to the Phoenix area (driving down right after Thanksgiving). I'll be renting for about a year to 18 months til I get some renovations done on my property here and sell it.

My employer is in the northern part of Phoenix (85053). Looks like it's off of the 17 and Bell Rd. I am trying to find a decent apartment (1 bedroom or studio) for under 800 a month. It's just me (single guy) and no pets. As long as I'm sure that my stuff will be there when I get back and my car won't be broken into once a week, I'm fine. I looked at some other threads and did some google-fu, but most apartments don't have good reviews apparently. I'm not sure if it's just sour grapes from renters or real issues. I try to immediately avoid anywhere I hear the word "bedbugs" (shudder)!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I think I already found the truck company I'll be using (Penske) after looking at another thread!

Thanks again, any assistance is appreciated. If anyone has any Chicago questions, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 06:07 PM

576 posts, read 831,592 times
Geographically, I would look a little further west - closer to Rt 51 and maybe further north as well. A better area than the 17 and Bell.

Financially, my very limited knowledge of what apartment rent goes for says that $800 might not get you much in that area, but I could be way off on that. Do some searching on some of the apartment sites on the net to see what you can get in that area.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:51 PM

720 posts, read 734,690 times
goto apartments.com and look in the 85032 zip code - try to stay above Bell/Union Hills Drive - you'll find some communities. Good luck!

Old 10-02-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Geographically, I would look a little further west - closer to Rt 51 and maybe further north as well. A better area than the 17 and Bell.

Financially, my very limited knowledge of what apartment rent goes for says that $800 might not get you much in that area, but I could be way off on that. Do some searching on some of the apartment sites on the net to see what you can get in that area.
I'm mostly looking at studio's or 1 bedrooms. From what I can see there seem to be some decent listings. I'll try the area you mentioned and see what I find.

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
goto apartments.com and look in the 85032 zip code - try to stay above Bell/Union Hills Drive - you'll find some communities. Good luck!
I'll check those out. I've been using Trulia and another site (can't remember the name off the top of my head for some reason). I'll try out Apartments.com also and that zip code.

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2017, 09:21 AM

555 posts, read 862,398 times
I made the same move on 2009. Don't pay attention to the apartment reviews.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:56 PM

Default Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
I made the same move on 2009. Don't pay attention to the apartment reviews.
A lot do seem like sour grapes.

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2017, 09:54 AM

683 posts, read 853,859 times
I actually bought a brand new house in the same exact area off of I17 and Bell. Pay no attention to the people downing it. If you are on Bell rd. Yes you will see people like the meth heads walking around. But the neighborhoods are very safe. I've been here going on three years and have had ZERO PROBLEMS. Plus you have every major shopping off of Bell. I litereally drive like three minutes and I have Sprouts, Target, Safeway, and different restaurants.

But if you don't like the mix of rough and new, then I suggest you move to Happy Valley or Anthem. You want to stay close as possible to your job because quite honestly Phoenix is blowing up and the traffic is ridiculous since I moved out here.

I suggest renting from a person. You can get a better deal and they don't go up on rent like the complexes do. If you only plan to rent for one year than go for an apartment complex. Trulia.com is good for renting from a person or google for a realtor nearby and talk to them and they will find you a place.

I like living in Phoenix but I must say the natives are extremely socially awkward or anybody who lives here past 10 years. It's weird, it's like they have a faint case of Asberger. You won't encounter that type of behavior all the time, just a warning when you start working here or going out.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:08 PM

656 posts, read 813,821 times
Just stay away from Scottsdale. Maybe check out Sunnyslope.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
I actually bought a brand new house in the same exact area off of I17 and Bell. Pay no attention to the people downing it. If you are on Bell rd. Yes you will see people like the meth heads walking around. But the neighborhoods are very safe. I've been here going on three years and have had ZERO PROBLEMS. Plus you have every major shopping off of Bell. I litereally drive like three minutes and I have Sprouts, Target, Safeway, and different restaurants.

But if you don't like the mix of rough and new, then I suggest you move to Happy Valley or Anthem. You want to stay close as possible to your job because quite honestly Phoenix is blowing up and the traffic is ridiculous since I moved out here.

I suggest renting from a person. You can get a better deal and they don't go up on rent like the complexes do. If you only plan to rent for one year than go for an apartment complex. Trulia.com is good for renting from a person or google for a realtor nearby and talk to them and they will find you a place.

I like living in Phoenix but I must say the natives are extremely socially awkward or anybody who lives here past 10 years. It's weird, it's like they have a faint case of Asberger. You won't encounter that type of behavior all the time, just a warning when you start working here or going out.
Thanks, I was thinking about checking out craigslist for back houses and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: