Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:23 AM

5 posts, read 3,244 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I lived in Gilbert at Power/Ray and worked in Mesa from 2013-2016, up until I relocated to Georgia for work late last year. I now have the opportunity to return to AZ, but will be working in Phoenix at Sky Harbor this time. I never had to endure the westward commute before. Would a morning/evening commute from Gilbert (around Power/Ray) to Sky Harbor be completely unbearable? I'll likely be getting on the road headed that way around 6:30/7am and returning anywhere from 3:30/5pm.

If possible, I'd like to put my daughter back in the same Gilbert school she left last year which is why i'm considering Gilbert again. Any tips or shortcuts to help with my commute would be great!

I know Tempe (Kyrene) or Chandler would be better, but because of the school situation, I'd like to keep those as last resorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 10:42 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Inbound, the earlier in the morning the better. Same going home.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:08 AM

525 posts, read 540,765 times
Not unbearable if you go early and leave early. It would be better if you could leave before 6:30 am, though.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:27 AM

576 posts, read 834,177 times
Everyone has a different definition of unbearable, but I wouldn't want to do that - not at those hours. Start watching the google traffic and you will get some idea of when and where the worst occurs. Of course, one accident throws a monkey wrench in everything.... For some reason, people in AZ have a propensity to gawk. So even if the accident is cleared off on the shoulder, everyone still has to slow way down to see what happened - backing up everything behind them to a crawl.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:26 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmega View Post
I lived in Gilbert at Power/Ray and worked in Mesa from 2013-2016, up until I relocated to Georgia for work late last year. I now have the opportunity to return to AZ, but will be working in Phoenix at Sky Harbor this time. I never had to endure the westward commute before. Would a morning/evening commute from Gilbert (around Power/Ray) to Sky Harbor be completely unbearable? I'll likely be getting on the road headed that way around 6:30/7am and returning anywhere from 3:30/5pm.
Is Gilbert really all that great that you want to move back there, and endure a long rush hour commute both ways? I know you mentioned schools, but you could live a lot closer to work and still be in a good safe suburban area. I'd even be checking out some areas in Scottsdale north of downtown, or in the east part of Phoenix (Camelback East or Arcadia). There would still be a rush hour commute, but it would be a lot closer & less strenuous.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:53 PM

202 posts, read 220,843 times
I would avoid Gilbert if you are going to be commuting to Sky Harbor, especially near Power Road and Ray. That's a long commute and not worth it in my opinion. I would suggest looking at the Chandler area that borders Tempe or some of the nicer neighborhoods in Tempe itself. Scottsdale might also offer some affordable housing. Chandler school district is good and Scottsdale has Arcadia High School, which is a good school. I can't comment on Tempe, but the Kyrene school district in the Chandler/Tempe area is also nice. I don't see the point in forcing yourself to commute for so long when there are comparable school options in areas closer to your workplace. Gilbert is the place people go to live when you work in the East Valley or you just want a really cheap house that's new or to get far away from poor minorities or all of those things.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:12 PM

Interesting perspectives everyone. Thank you for your input. Not going to touch the "poor minorities" comment as, from memory, there were panhandlers on the side of the road in Gilbert in every shade.

I definitely don't want to have a long commute if it's unnecessary. I'm still very much in the planning stages and was hoping there was some shortcut or back road I could take that would make things easier (Sky Harbor Blvd??). Doesn't sound like it.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Inbound, the earlier in the morning the better. Same going home.
Not sure what you mean by Inbound? Can you explain?

Old 10-05-2017, 02:29 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmega View Post
Not sure what you mean by Inbound? Can you explain?

"Inbound"= going to work, "outbound" going home in the afternoon.

Old 10-05-2017, 05:00 PM

525 posts, read 540,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
I would avoid Gilbert if you are going to be commuting to Sky Harbor, especially near Power Road and Ray. That's a long commute and not worth it in my opinion. I would suggest looking at the Chandler area that borders Tempe or some of the nicer neighborhoods in Tempe itself. Scottsdale might also offer some affordable housing. Chandler school district is good and Scottsdale has Arcadia High School, which is a good school. I can't comment on Tempe, but the Kyrene school district in the Chandler/Tempe area is also nice. I don't see the point in forcing yourself to commute for so long when there are comparable school options in areas closer to your workplace. Gilbert is the place people go to live when you work in the East Valley or you just want a really cheap house that's new or to get far away from poor minorities or all of those things.
Still have that issue towards middle and upper class people, I see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area