Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 12:00 PM

13,252 posts, read 7,304,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The lack of freeways has made Tucson more condensed and centralized which means that you often don’t have to drive far to get places. Is it a pain? Yes but in terms of time it’s not much different than Phoenix. Instead of going 55 for 20 min you’re going 30 for 20 min basically.

Tucson has a ton of low density sprawl at the edges but there’s not really a reason to go there unless you live there. The real problem with Tucson is the economy. It’s better than it was but it’s not good for upwardly mobile people.

I was just in Tucson. I’m a big fan of what they’ve done with Downtown through the University in recent years.
I would move to Tucson the size of the city just right for me the Phoenix population gotten too big when I moved here from CA in the 90's to get away from high population density now I want to move again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 04:11 PM

213 posts, read 131,808 times
I moved here from FL in '15 and I agree. FL heat does not compare to this hellish climate. I moved here to get away from danger and bad family members so I can say this city's saved me, even while I griped about it.
Then again, this was a few years ago and a lot has changed since then. Rent was much cheaper and I guess I got lucky.
Now? Can't wait to gtfo. I'm grateful for the five years I've spent here, so I can't curse it. But it's time to go. At least now we know. :lol

Old 07-21-2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AloePurell View Post
I moved here from FL in '15 and I agree. FL heat does not compare to this hellish climate. I moved here to get away from danger and bad family members so I can say this city's saved me, even while I griped about it.
Then again, this was a few years ago and a lot has changed since then. Rent was much cheaper and I guess I got lucky.
Now? Can't wait to gtfo. I'm grateful for the five years I've spent here, so I can't curse it. But it's time to go. At least now we know. :lol
I went to FL in late Aug Miami and keys didn't think the humid weather was nearly as bad as here in July. When we hit 110+ with 15-17% humidity can't really take much of it outside for long.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:28 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I went to FL in late Aug Miami and keys didn't think the humid weather was nearly as bad as here in July. When we hit 110+ with 15-17% humidity can't really take much of it outside for long.

The current humidity in Miami is 97% and the dew point is 75. It looks like showers are coming soon but that level moisture in the air would not work for me very long, even in the 80's that's too much. And where do you go for a quick, cool escape? You're not driving to rim country like we do here, the ocean water is nearly 90 as well... I don't mind visiting but no interest in living in that constantly.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:11 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
I was in Florida a few years back in July when the temps were in the high 90s and the humidity was high as well and surprisingly it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. The nice thing is it cooled off at night. However, I am wondering, is the weather the only thing motivating you to move away?

Old 07-22-2020, 10:57 AM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Although I never lived in Florida, I visited often since my mother moved there. Terrible humidity, buggy, and then there are the hurricanes.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
The current humidity in Miami is 97% and the dew point is 75. It looks like showers are coming soon but that level moisture in the air would not work for me very long, even in the 80's that's too much. And where do you go for a quick, cool escape? You're not driving to rim country like we do here, the ocean water is nearly 90 as well... I don't mind visiting but no interest in living in that constantly.
I could not live there because I love the rocky mountains. Its just too flat there for me the only place where you can leave car in neutral wont roll anywhere unless you are on a bridge.

I do like the thunderstorms the lightning was amazing every night while we get some here was nothing compared to FL.

Plans are to move to Colorado next year as soon as Covid is over.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:43 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times
Quote:
I could not live there because I love the rocky mountains. Its just too flat there for me the only place where you can leave car in neutral wont roll anywhere unless you are on a bridge.

I do like the thunderstorms the lightning was amazing every night while we get some here was nothing compared to FL.

This line made me chuckle. It is flat, but the ocean is beautiful and the water very swimmable, unless there's a hurricane, or tropical depression, or red tide.

Old 07-23-2020, 08:27 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:

I love mountains period, the rocky mountains are awesome but they're not my favorite. The cascades north of Vancouver in BC take the cake for me, but only in the summer, no desire to be there throughout the rainy/cold season. Having all of the AZ mountains basically at our doorstep plus short trips to all of the rocky mountain towns is a great benefit to living here.

I do see the appeal to Colorado, especially if you can manage to live in a town like Crested Butte as an example. We like big cities but I can see the appeal in something like that.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
This line made me chuckle. It is flat, but the ocean is beautiful and the water very swimmable, unless there's a hurricane, or tropical depression, or red tide.
I got my scuba cert here in Lake Pleasant went a few times on our vacations, but my wife after also getting certified found she didn't like dealing with the technical side of it she rather just snorkel. I would go on my own pair up with someone else or pay for a dive master to stay with me. It would be the only reason to move to FL diving in lakes here in Phoenix wasn't appealing to me FL has some great dive spots. Lot of the locals said most hurricanes overblown by media. If I lived there probably have an in-closed trailer I could load up and drive north with my things I wanted to keep let the insurance pay for the rest like furniture.

I always told my wife would be nice the last 15 working years moving to different parts of the country just work and live there for 3 years at a time to really experience it. Week or two on vacation can't really do much .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area