Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 01:38 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,698,478 times

Advertisements

It also varies on whether you live in an apartment/condo or a single family house. More A/C and more heat needed with a smaller dwelling, due to more rapid changes in indoor temp.

I've lived in apartments the last 4 years, and setting the thermostat at 75°, I use heat from late November until generally early February. A/C from mid March (most years) until early November, though in a couple of the more recent warmer than average February's, have had to use A/C in Feb as well. There is a window from early Feb to mid March and again for middle November where I don't need heat or A/C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 03:18 PM

7,333 posts, read 12,414,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
It also varies on whether you live in an apartment/condo or a single family house. More A/C and more heat needed with a smaller dwelling, due to more rapid changes in indoor temp.

I've lived in apartments the last 4 years, and setting the thermostat at 75°, I use heat from late November until generally early February. A/C from mid March (most years) until early November, though in a couple of the more recent warmer than average February's, have had to use A/C in Feb as well. There is a window from early Feb to mid March and again for middle November where I don't need heat or A/C
February 2017 didn't seem to get warm enough to need the AC at all for us, and we still had our heat running at night on most days of the month; temperatures were only slightly warmer than average, but not enough to need AC. February 2016 on the other hand had 20 days where the highs were above 80.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:53 PM

39,149 posts, read 51,432,240 times
Many people here have a heat pump for both cooling and heating. In that case, you are using the AC year round.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:29 PM

44,700 posts, read 61,868,751 times
Our AC temp is set at 74 degrees and left there all year around. It automatically heats up or cools down to that level when necessary. That's our comfort zone.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:25 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,766,527 times
It shouldn't be that different than what you are used to, A/C in the hot months, heat in the cold months. The only difference will be that the hot months are a larger group and the months when you need the heat on are fewer. Some people claim that they never turn on their heat in the winter. Not sure that I believe them, but that's a different discussion.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:28 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,941,242 times
74 degrees is mine too

Old 10-13-2017, 02:14 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,345,654 times
I use the AC from about the beginning of May till the end of October or so. I don't think I really turned the heat on at all last year other than setting it at about 64 overnights just so it wouldn't get colder than that.

My daytime temp is usually about 78-80 in I am home.

74 degrees all the time? I do not have the money for that! LOL

Old 10-13-2017, 03:21 PM

7,333 posts, read 12,414,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
74 degrees all the time? I do not have the money for that! LOL
For homes in New York that is actually a fairly typical set point which would otherwise be too expensive to operate in our climate. Since the OP is from New York the she might just have to adjust to 78 unless she can afford cooling her home to the same set point she was used to in New York.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:45 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,200,234 times
ka3la -- Hello! I live down here in the Phoenix area, and have for over 30 years, and just want to say that you have received some very on-the-spot replies! The posted times of using a/c and heat are pretty accurate. And there are definitely a couple of "nothing necessary" months, too, which are nice for the budget.

The only experience I have not heard of before is the one described is the one in #5, where the a/c had to be run more months on the 2nd floor than on the 1st floor. Have not yet met anyone who had to do that, although it could be possible. We do have 2-story house and are blessed to have cross-ventilation in all the rooms upstairs and I am sure that does help. We also have dual-zoned a/c [one for each floor] and that helps too.

One thing to think about is using one of the new electric fireplaces or fireplace stoves, in a family-gathering room. They are great for ambiance in an area which has frequent "no-burn" nights in December and January, and they also take the chill out of a room on a cool night.

Good luck with your potential move! You have lots of things to think about!

Old 10-13-2017, 03:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,698,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
It shouldn't be that different than what you are used to, A/C in the hot months, heat in the cold months. The only difference will be that the hot months are a larger group and the months when you need the heat on are fewer. Some people claim that they never turn on their heat in the winter. Not sure that I believe them, but that's a different discussion.
I don't believe them either, an unheated house here would probably be about 58° at night to 63° in the afternoon in Dec&Jan, there is no way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: