Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2017, 08:24 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,176,305 times

Advertisements

I understand this is not legally binding advice. Still, I appreciate any help. Thanks so much!!!

We contributed the max to a spousal, regular IRA for my wife hoping to deduct the $5,500. However, my wife will start a job this year that has a defined-benefit retirement plan. So we cannot deduct this I suppose? We have both employer-sponsored retirement plans. Or can we still deduct it as long as our combined MAGI is below 96k? Thanks. This is the first year my wife works again after the kids. (Sorry meant to post this in "Personal Finance" forum. Thanks for moving.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 09:01 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,584,987 times
I would suggest calling either your tax accountant or the IRS customer hotline for a definitive answer.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:14 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
I understand this is not legally binding advice. Still, I appreciate any help. Thanks so much!!!

We contributed the max to a spousal, regular IRA for my wife hoping to deduct the $5,500. However, my wife will start a job this year that has a defined-benefit retirement plan. So we cannot deduct this I suppose? We have both employer-sponsored retirement plans. Or can we still deduct it as long as our combined MAGI is below 96k? Thanks. This is the first year my wife works again after the kids. (Sorry meant to post this in "Personal Finance" forum. Thanks for moving.)
And this is related to the Phoenix forum how?

Old 10-13-2017, 12:40 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,611,388 times
There is usually a minimum employment period and a specific enrollment time before employees are covered by an employer retirement plan. Are you sure your wife will be eligible to participate by 12/31/17?

Old 10-13-2017, 08:57 AM

640 posts, read 956,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post

Was the contribution for the 2016 or 2017 tax year? Assuming it was for 2017, you should be able to get the money back without any problems. Contact the company where you have the account and tell them the situation and you want to request an excess contribution refund. You can do that before April 15th, again assuming the contribution was for 2017.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:31 AM

675 posts, read 1,414,044 times
If she had ANY contributions to the 401k by herself or her company, that could potentially nullify the deductibility of both her AND your IRA contributions. This happened to us. Her employer mistakenly enrolled her in the 401k against her wishes. She had one paycheck with a contribution in Jan, which she had reversed on a subsequent paycheck. The following year the company reported it (in error of course) and the IRS ended up rejecting our entire IRA contributions on our 1040. I had to write a lot of letters to get that straightened out as I recall. I think it was October before they finally accepted our 1040.

Our entire tax system is a boondoggle with so many details. Best to get professional advice on things like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area