Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 07:07 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,737,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I think you can safely go outside again. I'm out at dusk basically all Summer and never had a problem with them. Probably just as likely to be struck by lightning.
LOL, I'm also outdoors 3-4 nights of the week, no major problems with bugs here in the central part of town. See a roach once in a while? Sure, not really a big deal at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 09:16 AM

483 posts, read 665,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sder View Post
I was in Florida last month, drove from Miami to Tampa, then up to Destin. From there drove all the way up to Kentucky for a few days then drove back to Orlando via South Carolina & Georgia. I had never been to any of these states and, based on what I read in here, I expected to see bugs all the time. Never saw one in any of the places we stayed and the car had hardly any on it, I have more bug splats on my car after a week in Phoenix than i got there actually.
Having lived in Florida on three separate occasions, let me tell you about Florida bugs.

If you want to see bug splats on the front of your car, try driving through Florida during Love Bug season. The Love Bugs mate and fly together, so you get two splats for the price of one. And they're almost impossible to remove from your grill.

Chinch bugs are little critters that suck the chlorophyll out of the grass and can destroy an entire lawn in a couple of days. Grass goes from green to brown before you know it.

The humidity and water everywhere breeds mosquitoes like nobody's business.

But I've saved the best for last. Palmetto bugs...which is a cutesy name for giant cockroaches the size of a Sherman Tank and are virtually everywhere, no matter how meticulous of a housekeeper you are.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:18 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,081,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
We have fire ants, tons of spiders, monster beetles, too many flies, tons of mosquitos (depending on the area), hornets and killer bees, giant centipedes (7-8" long!), hoards of grasshoppers, and tarantulas as well.

Now on to the pic below... These nightmares are the reason I stay inside after dusk in the summer. Ive had too many encounters with these things and they freak me the heck out. And I love bugs, too, which is weird. Not these beasties, though! They fly right into you and grip on, and it'll scare the living daylights out of you.
http://i.imgur.com/bSFk2.jpg
Yes, Phoenix has all of those things but much fewer, especially if you are living in the main urban areas of Phoenix, which most people do. I've been in Phoenix 7 years now and have never seen fire ants, very few hornets or bees (except the harmless big black bumble bees which seem common), no centipedes, very few grasshoppers, and maybe one tarantula when hiking on a mountain. I've seen ONE Palo Verde beetle but it was mostly dead on the ground. I've yet to ever see one flying. Mosquitos are really only an issue if you live near a water source, like in one of the lake communities.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:37 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
We have fire ants, tons of spiders, monster beetles, too many flies, tons of mosquitos (depending on the area), hornets and killer bees, giant centipedes (7-8" long!), hoards of grasshoppers, and tarantulas as well.

Now on to the pic below... These nightmares are the reason I stay inside after dusk in the summer. Ive had too many encounters with these things and they freak me the heck out. And I love bugs, too, which is weird. Not these beasties, though! They fly right into you and grip on, and it'll scare the living daylights out of you.
http://i.imgur.com/bSFk2.jpg
LOL, I knew it was going to be one of those! I see those the most when playing baseball at the park at night. They love those lights. Theyŕe seasonal tho, so it has to be a certain time of year.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:43 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Yes, Phoenix has all of those things but much fewer, especially if you are living in the main urban areas of Phoenix, which most people do. I've been in Phoenix 7 years now and have never seen fire ants, very few hornets or bees (except the harmless big black bumble bees which seem common), no centipedes, very few grasshoppers, and maybe one tarantula when hiking on a mountain. I've seen ONE Palo Verde beetle but it was mostly dead on the ground. I've yet to ever see one flying. Mosquitos are really only an issue if you live near a water source, like in one of the lake communities.
I think you're lucky to have no scorpions. I think you'd sing a different tune if you had to worry about getting a sting from one every month.

https://plus.google.com/+Responsible...ts/AykJ1zumnRE

Pest control gets a lot of calls because of scorpions. Roaches don't drop down from the ceiling when you're in bed and wake you up with a shocking neurological sting. lol I've never had to go to the ER with a roach encounter.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:46 PM

383 posts, read 635,072 times
I live in Florida and I am a mosquito and bug magnet here. I can't go anywhere without the bugs attacking me.
I was in Phoenix last week, and I dined outside at dusk with not one single mosquito bite.
If you say that Phoenix has lots of bugs, come to Florida and you will see what bugs are!

Old 10-19-2017, 07:06 PM

212 posts, read 229,097 times
Bedbugs: Tiny hitchhikers infest more than beds and hotel rooms

Old 10-19-2017, 10:21 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,827 times
The fear of bugs and other creepy-crawlies is overblown around here.

There are scorpions, there are Africanized bees, there are all kinds of pests living among us.

This is no reason to panic.

In the 21 years I've lived here, never once did I see a snake or a scorpion, just a few cockroaches, garden bugs, and some flying insects but nothing like what we had in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area