Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 12:29 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times

Advertisements

This is going to get a lot of adverse reactions, the usual chorus of anti-Talton sentiment, but here is a somewhat different view of the water situation in the Valley.

Rogue Columnist: The water Ponzi scheme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 01:59 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
This is going to get a lot of adverse reactions, the usual chorus of anti-Talton sentiment, but here is a somewhat different view of the water situation in the Valley.

Rogue Columnist: The water Ponzi scheme
Toilet to Tap is coming soon.

Toilet to tap in Arizona: Sooner than you think | | azdailysun.com

Old 10-30-2017, 09:13 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,048,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Common misconception present here. Usually people assume that Phoenix has the water problems but the mountainous areas will be fine. The opposite is true. Due to the geography and water table, the mountainous areas have significantly more water problems than the lower lying deserts.

As for water, there are a lot of interesting things present. We've tied our water sustainability to the supply of CAP, which is first in line for cuts on the Colorado River. Specifically, the 100 year AWS is often met by developers paying CAGRD to use CAP water to recharge the groundwater supply. CAGRD gets its water, in general, from CAP. Do note that Colorado River water accounts for about less than 1/3 of our regional water supply. The rest comes from the Salt/Gila/Verde system and from groundwater.

That doesn't mean we will run out or anything like that, but it will require some adaptation and locating new sources of water at some point. One source that is becoming more plausible by the day is leasing/buying water from GRIC (which is very water resource rich) and using it.
Wait: The City of Phoenix website says that 90% of our tap water is provided by surface water. Where are you getting the figure of 33% met by surface water?

Old 10-30-2017, 11:44 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
If there is a severe water shortage because of climate change, then I expect the price of water here to double or triple. Who knows, maybe quadruple. IF that happens (and I am not thinking a second about it because I've already done my due diligence), I will be pulling out my grass and use artificial grass, plant more desert friendly landscape, and take shorter showers. Because if you double, triple, or quadruple the price of anything, people will use it more wisely. Until then, I'm going to enjoy my long showers and lush green grass to the tune of 50,000 gallons a month. I could cut down to 1/3 that amount. Like 95% of other people, I react to my pocket book.

In other words, running out of water isn't going to be a problem.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:48 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Wait: The City of Phoenix website says that 90% of our tap water is provided by surface water. Where are you getting the figure of 33% met by surface water?
I suspect the third refers to the entire metropolitan area. There are 10 cities (actually 9 cities and a town) that have access to water from the Salt River Project. Phoenix is one of those cities. Places such as Buckeye, Goodyear, Surprise, Sun Cities, El Mirage, Cave Creek, Carefree, Fountain Hills, Apache Junction, Queen Creek, San Tan Valley and Maricopa do not have access to SRP water and are more reliant on ground water.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:15 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
I was referring to the metro, specifically the Phoenix AMA, which is roughly Phoenix Metro.

You also misread my post. It's roughly 2/3 surface (the Salt/Gila/Verde is a surface water system, CAP is another) and 1/3 Groundwater.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:27 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If there is a severe water shortage because of climate change, then I expect the price of water here to double or triple. Who knows, maybe quadruple. IF that happens (and I am not thinking a second about it because I've already done my due diligence), I will be pulling out my grass and use artificial grass, plant more desert friendly landscape, and take shorter showers. Because if you double, triple, or quadruple the price of anything, people will use it more wisely. Until then, I'm going to enjoy my long showers and lush green grass to the tune of 50,000 gallons a month. I could cut down to 1/3 that amount. Like 95% of other people, I react to my pocket book.

While I use less than half this much per month - including pool and grass front and back - I do not fault you for being comfortable.

In my view the real thing that will solve this problem long term it technology - there WILL be a cost affordable way to desalinate the ocean water - and while it would still be expensive to get it to AZ (although if hyperloop technology comes forward that will make transportation costs go down) - what I see happening is AZ assisting CA with the cost to get it to THEM, and they would begin to give up their supply of the CO River allotments to AZ.

BUT, in the long run I am not overly concerned about this issue - except for the fact that some bureaucrats will use this issue as a way to stunt economic development.

Now, do I waste, just to waste? No....as you say - I base it on pocketbook. For me - water is a low cost issue - about 60.00 a month down here in CG.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:37 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
While I use less than half this much per month - including pool and grass front and back - I do not fault you for being comfortable.

In my view the real thing that will solve this problem long term it technology - there WILL be a cost affordable way to desalinate the ocean water - and while it would still be expensive to get it to AZ (although if hyperloop technology comes forward that will make transportation costs go down) - what I see happening is AZ assisting CA with the cost to get it to THEM, and they would begin to give up their supply of the CO River allotments to AZ.

BUT, in the long run I am not overly concerned about this issue - except for the fact that some bureaucrats will use this issue as a way to stunt economic development.

Now, do I waste, just to waste? No....as you say - I base it on pocketbook. For me - water is a low cost issue - about 60.00 a month down here in CG.
Another viable option would be to cover and line the CAP canals and reduce the amount of water lost to evaporation as it treks across the desert. Even with cuts that may even itself out. Heck put solar panels on top to be extra eco friendly.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:56 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Another viable option would be to cover and line the CAP canals and reduce the amount of water lost to evaporation as it treks across the desert. Even with cuts that may even itself out. Heck put solar panels on top to be extra eco friendly.
Yep - point is - lots of options - and in the interim (50 years minimum) as someone else pointed out - the Indian Communities both GRIC and along the Colorado - are already looking to give up some of their allotments.

Given water's necessity to life it should never be completely wasted or taken for granted - but I am more than confident that there will be solutions - and stopping development should not even be considered in that discussion.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:17 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

This is why I always say we should raise the cost of water. Money is power, and money is what influences people.

Though I don't believe water is our biggest concern here... maybe not growing oranges and cotton and alfalfa sure but... it'll be people buying homes in Buckeye and Gilbert and increasing the UHI that will drastically increase our problems here in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area