Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 01:53 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,253 times

Advertisements

I went out to water the garden yesterday and found it decimated.

It is getting eaten by giant green caterpillars roughly 5-6 inches long. they are so big I can hear them munching. I picked a total of 9 off the plants, hopefully I got them all.

I have never seen pests like this before in the valley.

How do I get rid of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 01:59 PM

2,774 posts, read 5,728,764 times
Don't know what to do but I had this last year and found a huge caterpillar too. Shovel was my answer.

http://www.arizonensis.org/sonoran/f...ca_quinqu.html

Old 10-18-2017, 03:01 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Well, that's what people get for eradicating spiders and scorpions from their yards. People don't understand that they are absolutely vital for keeping harmful insects and stuff like this at bay. Ive heard stories of people spending night after night killing scorpions, only to be overrun with cockroaches. Spiders and scorpions might look scary, but theyre not gonna kill you, contrary to popular belief. What they are going to do is get rid of all the problematic bugs like roaches, mosquitos, and garden-killing caterpillars.

What you could seriously do is go buy some mantids and sprinkle some around your garden. If there is ample food source, they most likely wont leave. I had a neighbor back in IL that would collect their egg cases and scatter them in her garden. She would have hundreds of baby mantids running around (which are adorable btw). Many would leave, but a lot would stay and she NEVER had to put pesticides down or deal with ruined crops/vegetation.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:37 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,338,553 times
Green Horned Worms. They can decimate a garden in days.

You need to be checking your garden every few days in the spring and fall when they are most active. Locate them, knock them off and kill them. I then sprinkle or spray my plants with Worry Free Insecticide. If I kill them all by hand, sprinkle this after, they rarely come back through the rest of the growing season until early next spring when I do this again.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-18-2017, 06:56 PM

2,619 posts, read 2,338,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalEhBrent View Post
Get drought resistant plants and foliage.

You live in the desert. You're invading the homes of these important animals. You're ruining the ecosystem if you kill them.

Be better.
Lol what?!

This is a garden. Used for growing things to eat. Plenty can be grown here without the use of more water than any other parts of the country. These "animals" (They aren't animals!) aren't important and have plenty of other places to live other than a garden. KILL AWAY!!!!

Old 10-18-2017, 10:45 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Yes hornworms.
You can use the botanical Bt (Bacillus Thuringiensis), which is a bacterium that acts as a stomach poison (but doesn’t harm other plants or animals).
For more info read...https://www.almanac.com/pest/tomato-hornworms

Old 10-19-2017, 04:18 AM

4,604 posts, read 6,374,299 times
I carry small scissors to the garden and when I come upon a tomato horn worm on my plants, I just snip 'em in two.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-19-2017, 10:29 AM

550 posts, read 1,127,449 times
Ha, they ate our jalapenos one year. Leaves and jalapenos. All we had left is sticks.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:50 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,958,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
Ha, they ate our jalapenos one year. Leaves and jalapenos. All we had left is sticks.
They are munching on my jalapeno's as well. I was looking forward to a good harvest this year too.

At least I know they are more common than I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area