Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 04:21 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,342,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeclee56 View Post
Thanks for all the info. so far. As many of you have pointed out, Chandler is likely to be our go-to place for services not available in Maricopa. I will say the lack of a hospital in Maricopa concerns me somewhat, as does the one route in and out.

With regard to SanTan and QC, I have two impressions: one, that there is a problem with the private well and septic service in the former, and two, they each may be a little higher priced than Maricopa. Our budget is $300k tops, which appears to purchase more in Maricopa.

Casa Grande intrigues me for sure. My husband will be there in a month scouting, so we will keep all this in mind when he gets there. We return in January for more scouting and possibly buying.
Your post here did remind me there is significant unhappiness with the water providers (both different in each place) in both Maricopa and SanTan Valley.

Casa Grande Water is very inexpensive - provided by Arizona Water Company - my bill for a nice 2K SF house with pool averages 50 a month - higher in summer of course and less in winter. Electicity in CG is APS - which has its detractors for sure - but it is a large established provider vs. the smaller water and Electric Districts in Maricopa.

None of these seem to keep people from Maricopa though - they are building lots of houses there again - but same for CG and SanTan.

If you want 55+ - in CG check out Mission Royale - golf course community - EASY freeway access - about 2 minutes from the main mall in town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 05:35 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Electicity in CG is APS - which has its detractors for sure - but it is a large established provider vs. the smaller water and Electric Districts in Maricopa.
Note that a small portion of Casa Grande is served by Electrical District #2, which also serves Coolidge and Florence.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:39 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,048,329 times
OP, one of my main objections to Maricopa is that it's surrounded by farm fields and other agriculture-related operations. Unlike fields in the east like where you're from, farm fields out here are BONE DRY until they're irrigated, and when they till the land, the dust goes flying everywhere. I've heard that means above normal dust and odors for adjacent homes. And, Arizona isn't especially "on top of things" as it relates to agriculture-generated dust and odor regulations, so I'd definitely talk to LOTS of established residents in Maricopa about these issues before you buy. But don't expect a lot of help from the State re: agriculture dust issues.

Another irritation in Maricopa is the rail crossing that literally stops all traffic on the main drag when a cargo train goes by. Someone told me there are plans in the works to construct an underpass to eliminate this headache. You can probably research this, or ask another C-D member.

This may not concern you so much, but I'd rather have my water supply provided by a large municipality like Phoenix, Mesa, Gilbert, etc. as opposed to a small, private water company. In my eyes, there are more knowledgeable technicians running a big water utility as opposed to a small, private one. In either case, the private or public water companies need to do the same testing of water quality though, and if there's something wrong with the water they're all obligated to notify residents promptly. I suspect Maricopa gets its water from deep wells, but I'm not sure. Also, if I had a choice of electrical providers, I'd prefer SRP (which doesn't service Maricopa I believe.) Their rates tend to be lower than most.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:33 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeclee56 View Post
As part of our plan to move to the Phoenix area, my husband and I are looking possibly at Maricopa. This will be for our retirement, which means no commuting issues. We currently live about 35 miles outside Philadelphia in a lovely, quiet suburban/rural area, which we love. No need for nightlife for us, but we do have a need for things like Lowes, Target, Starbucks, and a variety of restaurants, plus veterinary services, the usual medical support, maybe a community pool if the house we buy doesn't have one.

If you live in Maricopa, I'd love to hear what you like/love/wish could be better about it.

Thanks!
I own 3 houses in Maricopa that I rent out and we bought 1 for ourselves as a possible winter home once I retire which should be in less than 3 months. Maricopa does give you the best house for the money. The community is still developing but you are limited though you do have Walmart, Starbucks, restaurants, etc. Chandler is not that far and is a very nice community with excellent services (I would choose that if you can afford the price differential).

Most people including our renters that I've talked to that lived in Maricopa really like it but the negatives are there and have been mentioned by others on this thread.

We like Maricopa but are having a rethink and may sell one or more of our Maricopa houses and buy something in Scottsdale or Chandler which obviously have better amenities available....it's a function of cost/benefit.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Note that a small portion of Casa Grande is served by Electrical District #2, which also serves Coolidge and Florence.
You are correct. And ED-3 services most if not all of Maricopa.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
OP, one of my main objections to Maricopa is that it's surrounded by farm fields and other agriculture-related operations. Unlike fields in the east like where you're from, farm fields out here are BONE DRY until they're irrigated, and when they till the land, the dust goes flying everywhere. I've heard that means above normal dust and odors for adjacent homes. And, Arizona isn't especially "on top of things" as it relates to agriculture-generated dust and odor regulations, so I'd definitely talk to LOTS of established residents in Maricopa about these issues before you buy. But don't expect a lot of help from the State re: agriculture dust issues.

Another irritation in Maricopa is the rail crossing that literally stops all traffic on the main drag when a cargo train goes by. Someone told me there are plans in the works to construct an underpass to eliminate this headache. You can probably research this, or ask another C-D member.

This may not concern you so much, but I'd rather have my water supply provided by a large municipality like Phoenix, Mesa, Gilbert, etc. as opposed to a small, private water company. In my eyes, there are more knowledgeable technicians running a big water utility as opposed to a small, private one. In either case, the private or public water companies need to do the same testing of water quality though, and if there's something wrong with the water they're all obligated to notify residents promptly. I suspect Maricopa gets its water from deep wells, but I'm not sure. Also, if I had a choice of electrical providers, I'd prefer SRP (which doesn't service Maricopa I believe.) Their rates tend to be lower than most.
Some of these particular issues are being mitigated. While I am not a Maricopa resident, I am familiar enough with it (being it's neighbor in CG etc.) that I know they ARE in fact already beginning the construction of an OVERPASS over the tracks - not sure of completion date - but I can't think more than a year.

They have also negotiated with the largest dairy in the area to be out by a certain date - again don't know the exact date though.

Yep - there will be more dust and cows in Pinal County almost any direction - and while it is becoming more urban - the agriculture lifestyle will be here for decades to come still...

Old 11-01-2017, 05:16 PM

151 posts, read 107,642 times
Oh ho, I just drove out to Maricopa this last week for a scouting expedition, so I'm full of information haha!

It was my first visit there, so had no preconceptions of the area. The one road getting in was pretty brutal, but I suppose it wouldn't matter as much if you could plan your trips to avoid heaviest traffic. Having said that, we went around 2:30 on a Thursday, and traffic was limping, if notoutright crawling. The other thing about the freeway is that it cuts right through the middle of town, so if you have to get to the other side you can't avoid it. I was less than impressed with that.

You're right; the property prices in Maricopa are rather amazing, and absolutely beat Queen Creek and even San Tan Valley. We went and had a look at the Province retirement community, and you could get a lovely place for $200k, and a damn fine place for less than $300k. The community is split between older (just before the crash) smaller homes, and newer (some still being constructed) larger homes. The older ones can be bought via resale, but you have to be 55+ to do so. You must be 40 or older to buy the new ones. The clubhouse and water features were impressive, with lots of people around, so popular. They have both an indoor and outdoor pool, so you'd like that. The entire community is bordered by busy streets, though we couldn't hear anything while in the show homes. I wouldn't want anything near the walls, both aesthetically and sound-wise. I believe the show home salesperson said the average age of the residents is 62ish, so quite young as these things go.

I didn't get a chance to drive anywhere else around town, so can't speak to how the rest of it looks other than the usual shopping areas along the freeway. It's probably not that gorgeous of a place, but you know what IS gorgeous? An extra $100k in your retirement fund lol. It's definitely on our list of retirement maybes. We pretty much don't care about art and culture anymore - we just want to sit outside in the sunshine and never think about snow shovels again.

Hope this helps! :0D

Old 11-02-2017, 03:52 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,243,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh66 View Post
Oh ho, I just drove out to Maricopa this last week for a scouting expedition, so I'm full of information haha!

It was my first visit there, so had no preconceptions of the area. The one road getting in was pretty brutal, but I suppose it wouldn't matter as much if you could plan your trips to avoid heaviest traffic. Having said that, we went around 2:30 on a Thursday, and traffic was limping, if notoutright crawling. The other thing about the freeway is that it cuts right through the middle of town, so if you have to get to the other side you can't avoid it. I was less than impressed with that.

You're right; the property prices in Maricopa are rather amazing, and absolutely beat Queen Creek and even San Tan Valley. We went and had a look at the Province retirement community, and you could get a lovely place for $200k, and a damn fine place for less than $300k. The community is split between older (just before the crash) smaller homes, and newer (some still being constructed) larger homes. The older ones can be bought via resale, but you have to be 55+ to do so. You must be 40 or older to buy the new ones. The clubhouse and water features were impressive, with lots of people around, so popular. They have both an indoor and outdoor pool, so you'd like that. The entire community is bordered by busy streets, though we couldn't hear anything while in the show homes. I wouldn't want anything near the walls, both aesthetically and sound-wise. I believe the show home salesperson said the average age of the residents is 62ish, so quite young as these things go.

I didn't get a chance to drive anywhere else around town, so can't speak to how the rest of it looks other than the usual shopping areas along the freeway. It's probably not that gorgeous of a place, but you know what IS gorgeous? An extra $100k in your retirement fund lol. It's definitely on our list of retirement maybes. We pretty much don't care about art and culture anymore - we just want to sit outside in the sunshine and never think about snow shovels again.

Yeah if you want cultural opportunities, lavish services, the best restaurants, best shopping, look elsewhere but if you want the best house you can buy at the lowest price with nice HOA's, then Maricopa is pretty unbeatable.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:53 AM

83 posts, read 81,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh66 View Post

OK, you have me literally laughing out loud now. Thanks for your post. While we are nearly 62 years old, we aren't looking at retirement communities per se because a) we need a fenced (or I guess walled) yard for our energetic dog; b) we need a minimum 9000 sq. ft. lot size for the same reason, and c) my husband expects to be working on a car project and some of the 55+ communities HOAs are fairly rigid about that kind of thing.

However, like you, we are looking forward to sitting outside in the sunshine (although not in summer, I guess) and NEVER thinking about a snow shovel or blower again!

Thanks,
Barbara

Old 11-04-2017, 03:01 PM

567 posts, read 788,106 times
Our son and his family live in Maricopa. My husband used to work in Maricopa (mid-'70s to a few years ago.)
The town has exploded, and as has been said, there's only one road (the 347) between Maricopa and Phoenix. The traffic is horrendous.

There's a Walmart and a large Fry's (Kroger) in town, and I think a Starbucks and some other stores, but you'll need to drive to Casa Granda or somewhere in the East Valley (like Tempe) to get there.

Your budget would not be a problem in some areas of Phoenix. Not as "quiet" (I still refer to Maricopa as being in the middle of nowhere) but nice and affordable are some communities in the West Valley. Look at this $275k home in Garden Lakes in Avondale:

https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Avondale/1.../home/27451404

It's near Costco, restaurants, grocery stores, Cardinals Stadium, the hockey rink, shopping, theaters, a bowling alley, and theaters.

This is more basic, but it's in Crystal Gardens with a lake view (it's a man-made wetland, so there's waterfowl), and it's only $215k:

https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Avondale/2.../home/27738346

Garden Lakes and Crystal Gardens are right across the road from each other. Not only do you get more bang for your buck on that side of town, but you're still in-town, close to I-10 and shopping, and to all the sports events and concerts nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area