Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:07 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
I don't know what you are talking about. I have Cox internet preferred and pay 67.99$ a month.
Download speed is supposed to be 50Mbps. There is no such thing as 300Mb. I think their highest download speed is 100Mbps. Would have to check on their website to see the price.

Sure there is, I've had 300Mbps with Cox for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 08:58 PM

550 posts, read 1,126,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Sure there is, I've had 300Mbps with Cox for years.
Apparently it's available only in some areas. I don't think it is where I live. Anyway I am not going to pay almost 100$ a month for internet. I am happy with my 50Mbps.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:19 AM

164 posts, read 183,900 times
I just checked my speed. It's 395 down and 34 up. It is over $110/month. I have my own Netgear Nighthawk AC wireless router but wonder what the wireless equipment is that I see TV ads for. Paragon? Paramount? I tried to get the Gigablast a year or so ago. They scheduled an install but called at the last minute to inform me it wasn't available in my neighborhood. I think that one is supposed to be 1000 down and 1000 up. It seems that so much stuff in my house (smart tv's, pads, phones) want to hook into my wireless internet. When friends come over, their phones want to log into my wireless, too. We enjoy German television like it was coming from on top of South Mountain. Netflix, Amazon Prime and Youtube are effortless, too.

Download 394.94

Last edited by Bird Street; 11-10-2017 at 08:46 AM..

Old 11-10-2017, 06:40 PM

534 posts, read 480,996 times
Switch to Centurylink. I'm paying $33.95/mo for 40 Mbps. It's plenty fast enough.

Old 11-10-2017, 09:39 PM

I removed telephone company infrastructure lines from my last two homes and property years ago. Not an option for me. I use VOIP for telephone, otherwise I would just use cellphones. I have no fond memories of the telco, I am working my way to fiber optics not backward to telephone wires.

Old 11-11-2017, 05:18 AM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
Switch to Centurylink. I'm paying $33.95/mo for 40 Mbps. It's plenty fast enough.
I've been raoming this planet for a total of 52 years. Of the several hundred thousand products and services I've consumed over the years, none of them stick out in a bad way like Centurylink. To be clearer, they are dead last out every single experience I've had in my life. Service is a letter grade F-. Quality is a letter grade D. Price is great but they have not gotten a bill right since July (charging $89.95 not $39.95).

So it took at least 10 calls to get an install connection to stick. Then another 10 calls to get the download speeds that they claim (4 Mbps versus their claimed 40 Mbps). Oh... It's still not fixed (currently at 4 Mbps or 10X slower with 2 new modem swaps). If it matters, I am an engineer and as technical as they come and I grasp networking 101 concepts.

Worst of all, their billing department are unbelievably inept. You can talk with the manger's manager on this side of the pond. While they will give you a false hope that they fixed the problem, expect to get reverted back to being charges $89.95. We have talked with the bosses boss 4 times now. Each were apologetic and professional. But the results were the same, they still charged $89.95 and still 10x slower than they promised.

All and all, I'd conservatively guess we have about 20 hours on the phone with them. Finally, we challenged the credit card (got it reversed) after 4 months of partial slow usage. I'm glad you are satisfied. But it seems as though these 3,585 people despise them too https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell...nturylink.html Expect to have a nice sounding employee to intentionally xfer you to the wrong department to get rid of you. That happened at least 15 times.

I suppose so long everything was billed correctly, some people are actually happy. But correcting a problem is virtually impossible. Their systems in place are terrible and nice employees that don't hang up on you will candidly let you know this. I'd also assume some people who think they are getting 40 Mbps (and have never bother checking) are also happy. After all, ignorance is bliss.

So why are so many people still with Century link? Price! It's low for a reason. Just like people get their car painted at Maaco. Price, quality, service. If it costs 1/3 the price, do you think you get the same service or quality? It's impossible.

It's well known that ALL cable and internet companies get bad ratings including Cox. But if you want to pick the worst of the worst of the worst, I'd suggest Centurylink. Take the challenge and give them a spin. Best of luck. cause people will need it!

Old 11-11-2017, 08:36 AM

"We're the phone company and we don't care because we don't have to"......Ernestine Tomlin

I was conceived at the Grand Canyon in November of 1947. I spent a lot of my childhood in fear of being blamed for a long distance call on last month's bill. I knew better than to ask for an extension or color handset. My only fond memories of Mountain Bell are crossed wires and party lines. I got even as an adult when I threw the overhead line to my house into the alley. It later got wrapped around the wheels of the garbage truck and jerked the overhead wires really good. God forgive me. I am a Veteran tho.

Download 388.61

Last edited by Bird Street; 11-11-2017 at 09:08 AM..

Old 11-11-2017, 10:41 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Street View Post
"We're the phone company and we don't care because we don't have to"......Ernestine Tomlin

I was conceived at the Grand Canyon in November of 1947. I spent a lot of my childhood in fear of being blamed for a long distance call on last month's bill. I knew better than to ask for an extension or color handset. My only fond memories of Mountain Bell are crossed wires and party lines. I got even as an adult when I threw the overhead line to my house into the alley. It later got wrapped around the wheels of the garbage truck and jerked the overhead wires really good. God forgive me. I am a Veteran tho.

Download 388.61
Dude, you need to go back and clean that mess up!

Old 11-12-2017, 09:55 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,947,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I've been raoming this planet for a total of 52 years. Of the several hundred thousand products and services I've consumed over the years, none of them stick out in a bad way like Centurylink. To be clearer, they are dead last out every single experience I've had in my life. Service is a letter grade F-. Quality is a letter grade D. Price is great but they have not gotten a bill right since July (charging $89.95 not $39.95).

So it took at least 10 calls to get an install connection to stick. Then another 10 calls to get the download speeds that they claim (4 Mbps versus their claimed 40 Mbps). Oh... It's still not fixed (currently at 4 Mbps or 10X slower with 2 new modem swaps). If it matters, I am an engineer and as technical as they come and I grasp networking 101 concepts.

Worst of all, their billing department are unbelievably inept. You can talk with the manger's manager on this side of the pond. While they will give you a false hope that they fixed the problem, expect to get reverted back to being charges $89.95. We have talked with the bosses boss 4 times now. Each were apologetic and professional. But the results were the same, they still charged $89.95 and still 10x slower than they promised.

All and all, I'd conservatively guess we have about 20 hours on the phone with them. Finally, we challenged the credit card (got it reversed) after 4 months of partial slow usage. I'm glad you are satisfied. But it seems as though these 3,585 people despise them too https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell...nturylink.html Expect to have a nice sounding employee to intentionally xfer you to the wrong department to get rid of you. That happened at least 15 times.

I suppose so long everything was billed correctly, some people are actually happy. But correcting a problem is virtually impossible. Their systems in place are terrible and nice employees that don't hang up on you will candidly let you know this. I'd also assume some people who think they are getting 40 Mbps (and have never bother checking) are also happy. After all, ignorance is bliss.

So why are so many people still with Century link? Price! It's low for a reason. Just like people get their car painted at Maaco. Price, quality, service. If it costs 1/3 the price, do you think you get the same service or quality? It's impossible.

It's well known that ALL cable and internet companies get bad ratings including Cox. But if you want to pick the worst of the worst of the worst, I'd suggest Centurylink. Take the challenge and give them a spin. Best of luck. cause people will need it!
I recently switched from cox to centurylink for internet and everything went perfect, I have faster internet and saved almost 20 a month,unfortunately Century link does not offer the same service everywhere so if you are in some areas it is not an option. You can go to their website and put in your address and do a test to see what internet speeds are available in your area. I am very happy I switched from cox to centurylink and their customer service is great.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:30 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
There is only one absolute when dealing with Cox . . .

Their quotes are rarely fully honored and it is mandatory to carefully scrutinize your monthly bill as they are professionals at increasing or adding unauthorized charges with little or no warning whatsoever.

On the "ethics scale" of 1 to 10 . . . Cox runs about a MINUS 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: