Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 10:36 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,621,202 times

Advertisements

Millennials are okay. Tolerable, even.

They're even better when an unselfish, giving, committed-to-others one is found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 12:45 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
I was wondering when someone would start a tiny house thread.

Tiny house hunting shows are the funniest damn thing on tv.

Slap a shed (really well made in some cases) on a trailer frame and the hilarity ensues.

Watch as full size people (often times even larger) try to justify to their friends and or family that it's always been their dream to shower in a basin the size of a Home Depot bucket, wash their faces in a sink the size of a cereal bowl and climb 8 inch wide steps to sleep in a casket size loft. Oh the romance!

Watch as they complain about fridge size, counter space, composting toilets, where to park, how to move it and of course "where will my guests sit."

And finally, let's not forget the family edition where couples debate the ever-important question: "do we have to put a railing on jr's loft or can we risk that he/she can survive the 8 ft roll out of bed drop?"

Old 11-17-2017, 12:55 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,264,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Careful what you wish for. It's the young people that police your community, respond to your cardiac emergencies, prepare your cheap fixed-income fast food, and eventually...wipe your butt when you get to senile to do it yourself.
The smart ones will get Gen X and Gen Z denizens to do this, not Millennials.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:59 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,264,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Start here: Workamper, then do a google search on workamping. Your quest is do-able, you will probably need to be in a rural atmosphere tho' for a private setting. I've done it in Show Low, Cochise county, and Pinal county. An RV park may make an exception to the 55+ rule, if you were workamping for the park. The rule of thumb is.... in exchange for a place to park your RV, and a water/power/sewer hookup provided by the park, you provide to the park, 20 hours of labor per week...of course this is negotiable. Labor could include groundskeeping, meter reading, IT work, front office, back office, accounting, maintenence.... what ever your strong suit is, or whatever the park requires.

Good Luck
Gemstone1
Why would any RV'er do the Workamping thing (which also includes manual labor like Amazon Warehousing or SugarBeet harvesting) when they can more comfortably and prosperously work from their RV's doing online/freelance work, and have much more travel freedom in doing so??

Old 11-17-2017, 03:34 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,128,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
I was wondering when someone would start a tiny house thread.

Tiny house hunting shows are the funniest damn thing on tv.

Slap a shed (really well made in some cases) on a trailer frame and the hilarity ensues.

Watch as full size people (often times even larger) try to justify to their friends and or family that it's always been their dream to shower in a basin the size of a Home Depot bucket, wash their faces in a sink the size of a cereal bowl and climb 8 inch wide steps to sleep in a casket size loft. Oh the romance!

Watch as they complain about fridge size, counter space, composting toilets, where to park, how to move it and of course "where will my guests sit."

And finally, let's not forget the family edition where couples debate the ever-important question: "do we have to put a railing on jr's loft or can we risk that he/she can survive the 8 ft roll out of bed drop?"
I also liked watching the shows where people were laid off and could no longer afford their 33-50% of their income house payments and the whole family was staring down a forclosure and being on the streets or moving in basement of the inlaws house (not really). Oh the hilarity of the vulture capitailists that had special relationships with the banks and were able to go in and buy these places at whole sale and then slap a coat of paint on them and mark them up 400%.

I got some laughs out of those shows at how people could be so foolish to buy these homes .... oh but guess what that's what all single family homes cost now in areas with good jobs, otherwise we would not be watching shows about people living in tiny homes.

People will be having kids no matter if they are living in an RV because women have baby fever, its as strong as a mans sex drive. Until people are living on the streets or out of their car and not having sex at all they will be making kids.

Mass lay offs from good jobs have become so prolific that both spouses better have GOOD jobs in order to hedge against some company that decides to randomly cut half its staff to get a surge in share holder profits that quarter. Buying a traditional single family home on a single GOOD job income is a HUGE risk.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 11-17-2017 at 03:44 PM..

Old 11-17-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR13 View Post
Why would any RV'er do the Workamping thing (which also includes manual labor like Amazon Warehousing or SugarBeet harvesting) when they can more comfortably and prosperously work from their RV's doing online/freelance work, and have much more travel freedom in doing so??
They wouldn't that's why crony/vulture capitalists are poo pooing this movement because the traditional single family home keeps people in slavery, doing "what ever it takes" to make that gargantuan house payment. For a lot of people that is their only real bill (plus the taxes insurance and high utilities that go along with that house).

Without our house payment I could work a month a year and pay for everything and then just putter around and do free lance. I certainly would not be working at a hot dirty warehouse or in some baby boomer care facility. Its hard to feel sorry for old people when you don't know their life history.

In fact in the not so distant future I will probably be having a discussion with my wife about where in the world we can move to where cost of living is dirt cheap and how much equity will we need in our house to cash out and just leave. Not every where in the world requires you to have a million dollars to retire early and decently.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:29 PM

4,614 posts, read 6,393,302 times
"Why would any RV'er do the Workamping thing"...because it's a great way to travel and defray costs at the same time. One size does not fit all, perhaps you didn't intend to paint with such a broad brush and perhaps you didn't intend to denigrate a different kind of lifestyle....but that's the way it came across to me.

Not all folks are equipped to be an entrepreneur, not all folks have the "tool kit" to work from their RV, for them, workamping provides a solution. There are as many reasons for workamping as there are possible options for workamping... you only hit on two options, albeit tough options. Some people need to workamp for the wages, some want to do it for the wages, some do it just to keep busy, and the wages are an extra benefit, some do it for no wages and volunteer as a way to give back to society.

Just curious....your comment about manual labor.... like it's a negative....is there something wrong with doing manual labor ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 11-17-2017, 05:30 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,734,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
I also liked watching the shows where people were laid off and could no longer afford their 33-50% of their income house payments and the whole family was staring down a forclosure and being on the streets or moving in basement of the inlaws house (not really). Oh the hilarity of the vulture capitailists that had special relationships with the banks and were able to go in and buy these places at whole sale and then slap a coat of paint on them and mark them up 400%.

I got some laughs out of those shows at how people could be so foolish to buy these homes .... oh but guess what that's what all single family homes cost now in areas with good jobs, otherwise we would not be watching shows about people living in tiny homes.

People will be having kids no matter if they are living in an RV because women have baby fever, its as strong as a mans sex drive. Until people are living on the streets or out of their car and not having sex at all they will be making kids.

Mass lay offs from good jobs have become so prolific that both spouses better have GOOD jobs in order to hedge against some company that decides to randomly cut half its staff to get a surge in share holder profits that quarter. Buying a traditional single family home on a single GOOD job income is a HUGE risk.

You mad bro?

Old 11-17-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
You mad bro?
Not really, I just recognize that we live in one of the most evil societies in history and this is the result of people trying to survive when we live in basically lawlessness when it comes to socio-economic issues.

I don't think these tiny show homes are funny I think they are sad and I chose not to be part of the problem.

Also I am not your bro, very far from it.

Old 11-17-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Why would any RV'er do the Workamping thing"...because it's a great way to travel and defray costs at the same time. One size does not fit all, perhaps you didn't intend to paint with such a broad brush and perhaps you didn't intend to denigrate a different kind of lifestyle....but that's the way it came across to me.

Not all folks are equipped to be an entrepreneur, not all folks have the "tool kit" to work from their RV, for them, workamping provides a solution. There are as many reasons for workamping as there are possible options for workamping... you only hit on two options, albeit tough options. Some people need to workamp for the wages, some want to do it for the wages, some do it just to keep busy, and the wages are an extra benefit, some do it for no wages and volunteer as a way to give back to society.

Just curious....your comment about manual labor.... like it's a negative....is there something wrong with doing manual labor ?

Regards
Gemstone1
Workamping is exploitive and people that give into it keep the exploitation at our door step instead of far far away. People need to do their own dishes, wipe their own butt and clean their own space.

IF someone has a task that is simply to complex for them to perform alone or they don't have the equipment or expertise to do it then that's another issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area