Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 12:17 PM

849 posts, read 971,901 times

Advertisements

So what's the deal with all the houses that back up to greenbelts in some HOAs having their backyards totally exposed? Is this "for the views"? Why would the builder think people want this security vulnerability and complete lack of privacy? Is it in the CCRs that it has to be exposed, or can you put up a real fence (be it wood or block wall or whatever)? Is this is a case of people just going with it because it is the way it is, kind of like the postage stamp lots these day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 12:24 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,683,416 times
I've seen some covered up with hedges. Obviously each HOA will have its own rules.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:41 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,249,809 times
Those are generally premium lots that have "view fencing" and they cost more. At least that is the case in my neighborhood.

In our neighborhood if it is a view fencing lot you can't put up a block wall where the lots on each side have view fencing. It has to match the rest of the lots in that area.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:50 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,174,041 times
I will add to LBTRS's comment that many of the homes in our area that have view fencing have grown shrubs or other vegetation along their fences to eliminate prying eyes.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:57 PM

6,791 posts, read 5,101,179 times
I would never want to live on one of those lots. It’s beyond stunning to me that people will pay a premium to buy them.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:14 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,190,965 times
Interesting topic. I lived in Illinois for 40+ years and most houses did not have fences or if you had a fence it was see-through (ranch style or cyclone). People knew where their lot lines ended by where they cut the grass. I still get a lot of people that move here from the midwest that ask "What is with all these block walls?" "How do you ever get to know your neighbors?"

A lot of upscale subdivisions leave open space between houses and consequently, they use view fencing to make the yard seem larger. What good is open space if it is all blocked off by walls?

As for putting up a wall or blocking it off, that would be up to the community rules.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:43 PM

39,117 posts, read 51,361,697 times
I have a greenbelt (pretty brown though, haha). My back fence is a view fence which is block for about 2 feet from the ground and then vertical bars above that. It gives a very open feeling while still providing security. Our greenbelt is a preserve in that it is marked for no entry. It works pretty well for privacy, but during holidays some out of town visitors' kids seem to think the rules don't apply to them. It's cool seeing the quail and rabbits and occasional coyote on the "hill". Better than looking at people's roofs for sure.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:47 PM

849 posts, read 971,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Those are generally premium lots that have "view fencing" and they cost more. At least that is the case in my neighborhood.
Premium??? Holy smokes. Well, I guess there's a lot of people where privacy is not a concern. Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I will add to LBTRS's comment that many of the homes in our area that have view fencing have grown shrubs or other vegetation along their fences to eliminate prying eyes.
Growing a bunch of dense greenery is exactly what I would be doing, that's for sure (unless a particular cartel has rules against even that too).

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I would never want to live on one of those lots. It’s beyond stunning to me that people will pay a premium to buy them.
My thought exactly. It truly blows my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
I still get a lot of people that move here from the midwest that ask "What is with all these block walls?" "How do you ever get to know your neighbors?"
Well, not by walking into their backyard and watching everything they do, that's for sure.

I have a friend in Georgia, and she shares pics sometimes that end up having the backyard in them, and there are no fences to be seen. I hear this is common back east and I just can't comprehend it, although I guess the reverse is true for them as well regarding fences out here.

I mean, people are seriously ok with no privacy whatsoever, unless it's inside your house? I guess if you grew up with it, then it's normal, but I can't imagine transplanting to that. Especially as introverts.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:07 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,260,616 times
One HOA I was on the board of a few years back allowed removal of the view fence for a block fence to be installed. They are premium lots for a lot of reasons but the biggest is no neighbor behind you. Those green spaces are rarely used especially in the summer months so privacy really isn't much of a concern, we just aren't an outdoorsy city in general.

I was once out walking with my toddler in a desert area lined with view fences and this elderly woman came out of her home to say hi to my son.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:13 PM

90 posts, read 113,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post

I have a friend in Georgia, and she shares pics sometimes that end up having the backyard in them, and there are no fences to be seen. I hear this is common back east and I just can't comprehend it, although I guess the reverse is true for them as well regarding fences out here.

All I can think of is that I would never see my dogs again, because they would get distracted and run off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area