Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 12:57 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,982,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
If I got a job in Chandler and lived in Downtown or Midtown Phoenix, would that be a nightmare during rush hour?
Phoenix is fine and all, but in your situation you'd be better suited in Tempe or maybe Northern Chandler. Even though the west side is growing, the true centerpoint of this metro is Tempe and Skyharbor for most employers.

Tempe has most things Phoenix has and is a perfectly fine city to live in. I'd look near or around the 60 West of the 101 and East of I10. The further south you go the less urban and more suburban it becomes.

I'm not certain what exactly you want, but the Tempe public transportation system is second to none in this area if you stay north of the 60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 01:06 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,489,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Phoenix is fine and all, but in your situation you'd be better suited in Tempe or maybe Northern Chandler. Even though the west side is growing, the true centerpoint of this metro is Tempe and Skyharbor for most employers.

Tempe has most things Phoenix has and is a perfectly fine city to live in. I'd look near or around the 60 West of the 101 and East of I10. The further south you go the less urban and more suburban it becomes.

I'm not certain what exactly you want, but the Tempe public transportation system is second to none in this area if you stay north of the 60.

This is true, and a really nice plus for those of us who live in Tempe and want to get to downtown Phoenix (or even downtown Tempe from south Tempe) without driving. You may not be able to use it as an alternative for getting to work (depends on where in Chandler the job is, and where in Tempe you are working) but it's another factor that makes Tempe attractive.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:19 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,679,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I do a reverse commute from 12th St&Washington in Downtown Phoenix to Dobson&Main St in Mesa, which is 13 miles each way, and it's not too bad; but the catch is I use the light rail rather than drive
That's also half the distance.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:29 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,296,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Reverse commute or not, it's a 30 mile haul. You're not doing that in 25 minutes. Of course it depends on where in Chandler you're going, but even now, in the middle of the day without traffic, Google shows 33 minutes.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/N+Ce...33.3061605!3e0

OP, a lot of people that live in the exurbs try to sugarcoat what can easily be a brutal commute because they've had to come to accept it. You'll need to take some of the advice with a grain of salt.
Not sure the 30 miles is correct, and Chandler isn't the exurbs. In any event, I timed the drive from Chandler to the Dbacks garage (garage to garage) and one time it was 21 minutes, the other time 23. I imagine Google said it would be 30 minutes+ but sometimes that number isn't realistic. I have no idea what traffic is like heading this way in the morning from downtown, but in no traffic and cruising in the fast lane, that's how long it took me FWIW. And I live South of the 202 as well, not in the price corridor which would be a few minutes closer.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Not sure the 30 miles is correct, and Chandler isn't the exurbs. In any event, I timed the drive from Chandler to the Dbacks garage (garage to garage) and one time it was 21 minutes, the other time 23. I imagine Google said it would be 30 minutes+ but sometimes that number isn't realistic. I have no idea what traffic is like heading this way in the morning from downtown, but in no traffic and cruising in the fast lane, that's how long it took me FWIW. And I live South of the 202 as well, not in the price corridor which would be a few minutes closer.
Did you click the link? Are you disputing Google’s mileage calculation? The OP is talking about midtown, not downtown, not the Dbacks garage.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Did you click the link? Are you disputing Google’s mileage calculation? The OP is talking about midtown, not downtown, not the Dbacks garage.
Pretty sure the first post said Mid Town OR downtown. I'm just speaking facts. It's little more than 15 miles from West Chandler To Downtown Phoenix, maybe 20 from the Warner/101 area. 30 miles is an exaggeration.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Pretty sure the first post said Mid Town OR downtown. I'm just speaking facts. It's little more than 15 miles from West Chandler To Downtown Phoenix, maybe 20 from the Warner/101 area. 30 miles is an exaggeration.
I missed seeing downtown and just saw midtown in the subject. My bad. Nonetheless, Google shows 27.7 miles to the center of Chandler, which seems tough to argue with, especially co soldering we don’t know where in Chandler is the destination.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I missed seeing downtown and just saw midtown in the subject. My bad. Nonetheless, Google shows 27.7 miles to the center of Chandler, which seems tough to argue with, especially co soldering we don’t know where in Chandler is the destination.
My Google seems to show 24 miles to downtown Phoenix and it starts from downtown Chandler which is a couple miles east of the main employment area. Nevertheless I was just posting my own "best case scenario" experience. I doubt a morning commute even against the flow would be the same.

Old 11-23-2017, 06:58 AM

383 posts, read 637,410 times
Although there seem to be many job opportunities in Chandler, I am also looking in Tempe as a place to work and to live.
The more I learn about what Tempe has to offer, the more I am wanting to explore the area.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:55 AM

19,456 posts, read 27,925,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
Although there seem to be many job opportunities in Chandler, I am also looking in Tempe as a place to work and to live.
The more I learn about what Tempe has to offer, the more I am wanting to explore the area.
Find the job FIRST, then decide where to live. I made that mistake. ONCE. Luckily, I was renting at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area