Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2017, 05:10 AM

550 posts, read 1,487,623 times

Advertisements

Anybody have insight on the best place for breast cancer treatment in the valley? I'm leaning toward Banner MD Anderson in Gilbert. My main concern is timeliness of tests, procedures, and tteatmwnts. I don't want to waste precious time waiting for appointments and results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 07:45 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
First of all good luck in your battle.

We know a couple that went through this recently and they chose the Cancer Treatment Center in Goodyear and they lived much closer to MD Anderson in Gilbert. It all came down to the comfort level she had after visiting both places. It doesn't mean it is better, just her personal choice. So they drove out to Goodyear from the SE Valley for every treatment. That commute I thought would cause extra stress which is not something a cancer patient needs, but for them that was the right place. This is not someone we speak to on a regular basis, but last I heard she was doing very well.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:14 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
First of all good luck in your battle.

We know a couple that went through this recently and they chose the Cancer Treatment Center in Goodyear and they lived much closer to MD Anderson in Gilbert. It all came down to the comfort level she had after visiting both places. It doesn't mean it is better, just her personal choice. So they drove out to Goodyear from the SE Valley for every treatment. That commute I thought would cause extra stress which is not something a cancer patient needs, but for them that was the right place. This is not someone we speak to on a regular basis, but last I heard she was doing very well.

Starla, I wish you good luck in your battle as well.

My former PCP is now running the general health care clinic at the Goodyear facility. He lives in south Tempe, like I do, and doesn't mind the commute at all, because he's so happy working at that facility with the staff there.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:08 PM

I scheduled an appt with CTCA in Goodyear. I'm also considering Mayo in Scottsdale and still considering Banner in Gilbert. I have to say, looking over the doctors' credentials, Mayo definitely leads the way. CTCA has a lot of doctors from foreign and Caribbean medical schools, and some DOs on their team. Mayo tends to be people from top tier schools with top tier residencies and fellowships. But a lot of people seem to have billing issues with Mayo, and some of them are shocked to get out of network bills and things that aren't covered.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:52 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,061,905 times
I used the Virginia Piper Center in Scottsdale and had excellent care. good luck to you.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:37 PM

Thanks to the people who have given input.

I've done some more research and basically what I've come up with is this:

CTCA is great if you have good insurance. Care doesn't end with treatments, they pick you up/drop you off for appointments, have evening and weekend appointments, have a very comprehensive wellness program, and have a 24/7 nurse hotline which is nice. They seem very organized and try to minimize stress for the patient. But if your insurance stops paying you're out the door that day. I've also heard that they cherry pick their patients to make their numbers look better. They also didn't really seem to have any kind of end of life care. CTCA accepted a radiology report (bi-rad 5) as a diagnosis and I already have an appointment with them.

Mayo is well ranked and well respected but maybe not as convenient and comprehensive as CTCA in terms of holistic treatment. But if you have complications or other health issues, or have a complicated case for other reasons, they are probably the best place to go. They have a hospice on campus should things turn south. There are lots of complaints about their billing department. I contacted them but they wouldn't schedule a consult until I had a confirmed diagnosis. I'm not sure if I need a pathology report or not, I don't have one yet. Without a confirmed diagnosis I could only get an appointment with some diagnostic clinic in February. I will call them back today, as I am now confirmed but don't have a report and see what they say. The scheduler had told me that if all my tests are in and the diagnosis is confirmed cancerous they will work you in a lot sooner.

Banner MD Anderson has a fairly comprehensive program, but people complain about lack of organization leading to missed appointments and long wait times. They are also the closest, which would be nice if I want to go to any of their wellness classes or any of the counseling they offer. I think Goodyear and North Phoenix would be kind of a long drive for that kind of stuff, though I'm absolutely willing to drive for better doctors and treatments.

If anybody else has input, that would be great. Even better if you can include details on your cancer and what you liked/didn't like about the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area