Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 07:18 PM

6 posts, read 4,397 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, so I'm new on here and have a lot of questions. Pretty stressed out. So my fiance just got a huge promotion doubling his salary. We are relocating to Phoenix (from Denver) in February however we don't know if we can be approved to rent an apartment. Reasons being:

1) I have poor credit due to education loans and poor choices in my past with credit cards. I'm slowly fixing this but my credit is still very low.
2) He has a 5 year old misdemeaner for possession of marijuana. However his credit is excellent, almost 800.

I'm seeing a lot on applications about devils due to drug reksted convictions, and I also know that nobody will rent to you with bad credit. Is it possible that his good income and credit will cancel out my low income and poor credit? We have a 9 month old daughter so I won't be working for the first secerak months when we move there so I won't even be contributing to rent. Is there a way to get around putting me on the lease? I'm afraid with our combination of misdemeaner and bad credit will keep us from getting any place and we can't afford that with a baby.

Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 07:50 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,261,067 times
You can go on CL and search for "credit friendly apartments", and also look out for complexes that offer deposit discounts "On Available Credit". This implies, to me at least, that listings that offer "O.A.C. Discounts" would consider tenants with less-than-perfect credit. With Marijuana being nearly legalized statewide last year, I don't think the misdemeanor is a huge issue. Just dress up and be polite for the viewings and explain it's in your past. The fact that you guys have a small child will validate this.

Dang those application devils!

Old 12-14-2017, 08:20 PM

Haha haha ok thanks. I'm just super worried about being denied for several places and getting stuck in a slum with a baby.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:27 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,093 times
Contact one of the many apartment locator services in town. They can save you a lot of money in application fees by telling you upfront which properties will and won't work with you. I just moved into my place, which I found thru the Valley King office on Southern in Tempe. I also used a really good locator who specializes only in Central PHX, Kay Gilbertson. Both found me a good number of properties that would work with my low credit score (510-ish) and a lot of the properties were pretty nice (older, but well maintained and a couple were recently renovated). Be prepared to possibly pay a high deposit (up to 1.5x a month's rent). I ended up only having to pay 1/2 month's rent. Feel free to send me a PM and I can let you know which management companies/properties they sent me to, if you're interested. The locator is paid by the complex you ultimately lease with, so there is no cost to you.

And for the record...three of the properties that I really liked (including the one I moved in to) do not regularly advertise on craigslist, and they also don't generally advertise that they're credit friendly. I'd have never found any of them if not for the two locators.

Most apartments require that all adults living in the unit be on the lease, so both of you would be on it most likely.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:32 AM

656 posts, read 813,176 times
Drive around to find neighborhoods you like, hit the side streets, look for signs. Private landlords may have the apartment you want, and may be flexible re: credit record.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:10 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echristoe827 View Post
Hey guys, so I'm new on here and have a lot of questions. Pretty stressed out. So my fiance just got a huge promotion doubling his salary. We are relocating to Phoenix (from Denver) in February however we don't know if we can be approved to rent an apartment. Reasons being:

1) I have poor credit due to education loans and poor choices in my past with credit cards. I'm slowly fixing this but my credit is still very low.
2) He has a 5 year old misdemeaner for possession of marijuana. However his credit is excellent, almost 800.

I'm seeing a lot on applications about devils due to drug reksted convictions, and I also know that nobody will rent to you with bad credit. Is it possible that his good income and credit will cancel out my low income and poor credit? We have a 9 month old daughter so I won't be working for the first secerak months when we move there so I won't even be contributing to rent. Is there a way to get around putting me on the lease? I'm afraid with our combination of misdemeaner and bad credit will keep us from getting any place and we can't afford that with a baby.

Any advice is appreciated.
In general most apartment complexes I've dealt with approve you as long as your gross income is 3x the rent and if there's any criminal history, minor criminal history is acceptable. Basically as long as you can show that you got a job that can pay rent and you didn't murder anyone, you should be OK.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:38 AM

Ok that's good to know. I just read the rental criteria for several places and was seeing things like denial for drug related convictions, bad debt to income ratio etc and it made me worry. You're answer has helped feel a bit more confident.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:29 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,812,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echristoe827 View Post
Ok that's good to know. I just read the rental criteria for several places and was seeing things like denial for drug related convictions, bad debt to income ratio etc and it made me worry. You're answer has helped feel a bit more confident.
If you want to be sure, just read the actual rental application and read the fine print for what that complex considers unacceptable in terms of criminal history. All the complexes are different, but generally have the same flavor.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:27 PM

720 posts, read 734,029 times
How much are you planning on paying a month? Which part of town is he working? You may be able to rent a house from a private owner. If you are currently renting and are in good standing that trumps the bad credit and marijuana possession.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:10 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,093 times
PS You're going to find that traffic here is much easier than Denver, and that the roads are much better than Denver.

IMO anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: