Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2017, 05:08 PM

83 posts, read 62,608 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're beginning our search for a 55+ community in the Phoenix area and we're planning a trip early next year to take a look at a few communities. We've narrowed it down (for now) to:

1) PebbleCreek
2) Trilogy Vistancia
3) Victory at Verrado
4) CantaMia at Estrella
5) Encore at Eastmark

We'd love to hear opinions on these communities, as well as how you'd rank them overall for desirability.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 PM

640 posts, read 958,611 times
Search for threads from a member named GeneR. Then read every page and you will be set.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:39 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,231,909 times
I've been to each of them with the exception of Encore at Eastmark. This would be my ranking and Encore would be last simply because it is in the east valley. I have no desire to live in the east valley so it has nothing to do with Encore itself.

1. Pebble Creek
2. Trilogy
3. Victory
4. CantaMia
5. Encore

Old 12-21-2017, 09:46 AM

2,289 posts, read 3,086,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRunner View Post
Hi,

We're beginning our search for a 55+ community in the Phoenix area and we're planning a trip early next year to take a look at a few communities. We've narrowed it down (for now) to:

1) PebbleCreek
2) Trilogy Vistancia
3) Victory at Verrado
4) CantaMia at Estrella
5) Encore at Eastmark

We'd love to hear opinions on these communities, as well as how you'd rank them overall for desirability.

Thanks!
I would ask what your primary considerations are before ranking them. What are you looking for in a community? Affordability? Location to amenities? Quiet/solitude? Clubhouse/activities? Luxury amenities within the community and in the homes? Golf? Pickleball? Each is going to excel or lag in one or more of those areas.

Based on those you have chosen to have ranked, I assume you are not looking into the Sun City or other Robson communities based on location since they are farther out, correct? Obviously you are only looking at new/newer build. All of those have relatively affordable options within them, so is price a factor?

Old 12-21-2017, 10:55 AM

83 posts, read 62,608 times
Thanks, all -- I appreciate the feedback, will definitely search GeneR's posts!

@ShampooBanana, we don't want to be _too_ far from one of the larger metro areas (Phoenix, Scottsdale, perhaps even Mesa).

As for cost, we're pretty comfortable in the 400k-500k range, happy to spend less if the property checks all our boxes, don't really want to spend more than 500k.

As for community, I think it's the community itself -- we are indeed "active" older adults (avid runners & hikers, for example), don't really care about golf so much, never heard of pickleball before we began this process, and I admit I am appallingly bad at tennis. But running groups, the gym, hiking potential are all pluses for us. We also love the idea of book clubs, wine & food clubs or group events, and other social opportunities. We're focusing on new/newer because we'd like to start out with more people who are beginning their retirement as we are.

The Robson community in Eloy is lovely, but it's really out there -- not really Phoenix, not really Tucson. We are starting to look a little more closely at the east side, have only explored Encore at Eastmark so far.

We'll come out after the holidays, hopefully having narrowed our list or kept it to 5 at most, and visit these communities. Not sure I want to do a long stay at any one -- would prefer to spread our time equally among several if we can.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Thanks, all -- I appreciate the feedback, will definitely search GeneR's posts!

@ShampooBanana, we don't want to be _too_ far from one of the larger metro areas (Phoenix, Scottsdale, perhaps even Mesa).

As for cost, we're pretty comfortable in the 400k-500k range, happy to spend less if the property checks all our boxes, don't really want to spend more than 500k.

As for community, I think it's the community itself -- we are indeed "active" older adults (avid runners & hikers, for example), don't really care about golf so much, never heard of pickleball before we began this process, and I admit I am appallingly bad at tennis. But running groups, the gym, hiking potential are all pluses for us. We also love the idea of book clubs, wine & food clubs or group events, and other social opportunities. We're focusing on new/newer because we'd like to start out with more people who are beginning their retirement as we are.

The Robson community in Eloy is lovely, but it's really out there -- not really Phoenix, not really Tucson. We are starting to look a little more closely at the east side, have only explored Encore at Eastmark so far.

We'll come out after the holidays, hopefully having narrowed our list or kept it to 5 at most, and visit these communities. Not sure I want to do a long stay at any one -- would prefer to spread our time equally among several if we can.
That's a decent budget to find something here. I'm curious if you've also looked at Trilogy at Verde River. It's in a prime spot near north Scottsdale/Rio Verde, but their Vista collection would get you a home in that $400-500k range you're looking at (though probably not as big as what you might get in some of the others, though). It really is a spectacular community, though, and close to the mountains, with easy access to Payson, etc. too.

I'd also look at Trilogy @ Encanterra, also in the east Valley. It's another beautiful community, fully gated and very very nice clubhouse. Located in the Gilbert/Queen Creek area which is very nice and safe. Close enough to things to do for an active couple, but not immediately adjacent to mountains/hiking like Verde River or Verrado.

Based on what you are looking for I'd rank them like this:

1. Trilogy @ Verde River - great clubhouse and access to hiking, etc.
2. Pebble Creek - best clubhouse/activities of those you mentioned
3. Trilogy Vistancia or Encanterra (tie) - both very nice communities
4. Victory at Verrado - easy hiking access, cute town, but a little out there and clubhouse not as spectacular as some others
5. CantaMia Estrella - pretty far away from amenities and the action compared to others, nice community, though
6. Encore at Eastmark - a little isolated as well but area is growing. Wasn't that impressed by their clubhouse.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:06 PM

56 posts, read 40,510 times
Quote:
Hi,

1) PebbleCreek
2) Trilogy Vistancia
3) Victory at Verrado
4) CantaMia at Estrella
5) Encore at Eastmark

Thanks!

DMB builds superior communities. So, I'd rank Victory and Encore (both in DMB communities) as a tie depending upon what side of the valley you want to live. Vistancia is also a beautiful community. I live near Pebblecreek and I believe it's the oldest community on the list. Cantamia is also quite nice, if you don't care about the drive. It's pretty up there.

I think my favorites are Victory and Vistancia; HOWEVER, depending on your price point, because you pay much more/sq ft for 55+ communities, I'd consider building a custom. I just don't see paying custom home money for a cookie-cutter home.

Old 12-21-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat465 View Post
DMB builds superior communities. So, I'd rank Victory and Encore (both in DMB communities) as a tie depending upon what side of the valley you want to live. Vistancia is also a beautiful community. I live near Pebblecreek and I believe it's the oldest community on the list. Cantamia is also quite nice, if you don't care about the drive. It's pretty up there.

I think my favorites are Victory and Vistancia; HOWEVER, depending on your price point, because you pay much more/sq ft for 55+ communities, I'd consider building a custom. I just don't see paying custom home money for a cookie-cutter home.
It would be tough to build a fully custom home on a $400-500k budget taking current lot costs into account, etc. Also, one of the major appeals of living in a 55+ community is the age restriction (being with those of your same general age cohort/life stage) and also the sheer amount of amenities and social activities you are privy to. It's not just a house, it's a whole lifestyle you are buying into. Finally, building a custom home is a very long and painstaking process where you are literally involved with every single little detail decision that's made, from identifying and developing that perfect lot, through to the design and custom details of every aspect of your new home. Not everyone has the time and desire to undergo the process, though it can certainly be rewarding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area