Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2018, 09:13 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times

Advertisements

I helped a friend to set up a room antenna on her tv. However, her apartment is first floor and surrounded by tall apartment buildings, particularly towards the south where the broadcasting station are. Will amplified room antennas make a big difference? - Thanks!
In our case I put up a roof antenna which works splendid, This is not possible for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 10:45 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Indoor TV antennas and their location do make a big difference. They pick up the signals that bounce off the walls and everything else through the windows. Some are amplified to pick up weak areas some are not.

I tried many different antennas for indoors and have found the most success with this one https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...V-Antenna.html It is movable and mine picks up 40+ stations. I'm 25 miles northwest of the So. Mtn antenna stations.

Old 01-24-2018, 02:41 AM

221 posts, read 192,882 times
TV location faces north. Large patio, connected to roofline, is an obstacle. Tried three different indoor antennas with no success (two or three OTA stations). As wit-nit states, positioning makes all the difference.
An option was roof mount. Problem solved w/ bonus: Tucson stations are as clear as those in PHX.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:17 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto camper View Post
TV location faces north. Large patio, connected to roofline, is an obstacle. Tried three different indoor antennas with no success (two or three OTA stations). As wit-nit states, positioning makes all the difference.
An option was roof mount. Problem solved w/ bonus: Tucson stations are as clear as those in PHX.
Thanks for your input. I'll try again with an antenna with amplifier as a last resort. Then we'll see. The 10 bucks antenna we tried was useless. I understand on the roof it works great (we have the same experience), unfortunately that is not an option for my friend.

Plus, nothing beats the picture quality of over-the-air. It's great.

Old 01-24-2018, 10:16 AM

11 posts, read 9,898 times
A good amplified antenna will probably work, but unfortunately there is no way to tell for sure without actually trying. I had very good success in my previous condo in north Phoenix, just north of the loop 101, with the top AmazonBasics indoor/outdoor antenna. Not sure ifAmazon still sell their own branded antennas. I had the antenna just laying on a shelf in a closet, however it was on the 3rd floor. Also, be aware that some cheap LED light bulbs can cause signal interference to OTA antennas. A few times when I did have reception issues, simply turning off the LED can lights in my kitchen would clear up the reception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: