Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 05:07 PM

239 posts, read 255,755 times

Advertisements

As someone who has lived in Miami for all their life (26 years), what is something I should know before moving to Phoenix?

My partner and I (LGBT) are possibly relocating for work (we work for the same company) and we could choose between Phoenix or LA, but LA is too busy for us.

We are very outdoorsy people, we go camping in Florida often. How is the LGBT scene?

We have been looking at apartments and we really like one called Seventeen 805 (17805 N 40th St, Phoenix, AZ 85032). We'd like to know if that's a good neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 08:23 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,452,327 times
You might wanna come out here and visit PHX before making the move. IMO Los Angeles is much more like Miami than Phoenix. I'd recommend a trip out here to get to know Phoenix so you don't end up dissatisfied with your choice.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:32 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,865 times
There are many people who move from South Florida to Phoenix, myself included (years ago now). However, as a word of caution, a majority of people who move from South Florida to Phoenix are generally trying to escape all of the "invasive species" in South Florida in a similar vein to those that move from South Florida to North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, etc. This includes LGBT folks as well, myself included. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Old 02-12-2018, 06:43 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,452,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
...However, as a word of caution, a majority of people who move from South Florida to Phoenix are generally trying to escape all of the "invasive species" in South Florida in a similar vein to those that move from South Florida to North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, etc...
Okay, I'm curious... What does this mean??

Old 02-12-2018, 10:14 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespykidinseattle View Post
As someone who has lived in Miami for all their life (26 years), what is something I should know before moving to Phoenix?

You should know that Phoenix and Miami are night and day different. Miami has warmer winters and more humid summers, but Phoenix has hotter (and drier) summers and decent winters.

• You should know the cost of living will be cheaper in Phoenix, especially housing.
• You should know that Phoenix jobs pay a bit more ($10 minimum wage opposed to $8.25 in Florida. Not that it would affect you.)
• You should know that homeowners insurance (and possibly car insurance) will be less.
• You should know that although politically AZ is considered a red state, daily living is more libertarian than conservative.

My partner and I (LGBT) are possibly relocating for work (we work for the same company) and we could choose between Phoenix or LA, but LA is too busy for us.

We are very outdoorsy people, we go camping in Florida often. How is the LGBT scene?
• If you like camping in Florida you will love it here! We have mountains!😁
• As for the LGBT scene, I have heard mixed feedback. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

We have been looking at apartments and we really like one called Seventeen 805 (17805 N 40th St, Phoenix, AZ 85032). We'd like to know if that's a good neighborhood.
• That area is decent. It is near Paradise Valley Community College, the Musical Instrument Museum and the Mayo Clinic. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:42 AM

872 posts, read 999,916 times
I smile when I see FL licenses here

Old 02-13-2018, 12:29 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespykidinseattle View Post

Central and east Phoenix seem to have a heavier concentration of LGBTs than the area you're considering, which is considered to be NE Phoenix (or Paradise Valley Village). Of course where you decide to live should largely depend on where your work is located. You should give an approximate address or cross streets as to where your company is so we can provide some options for specific neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: