Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 12:37 PM

31 posts, read 35,174 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Phoenix, near Baseline road, and wanted to relocate there with my family from Indiana this summer. Is the area near Baseline road still a good neighborhood to be in, as well as Ahwatukee? I haven't been there since I was 21, and I'll be 35 this year.

Thank you so much! Also, how are manufacturing/production jobs in Phoenix? My husband had wanted to move to Texas but with the high amount of crime there he is finally considering moving to where I want to be.

Thank you for any answers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 12:45 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvia34 View Post
I grew up in Phoenix, near Baseline road, and wanted to relocate there with my family from Indiana this summer. Is the area near Baseline road still a good neighborhood to be in, as well as Ahwatukee? I haven't been there since I was 21, and I'll be 35 this year.

Thank you so much! Also, how are manufacturing/production jobs in Phoenix? My husband had wanted to move to Texas but with the high amount of crime there he is finally considering moving to where I want to be.

Thank you for any answers!

The Ahwatukee/Foothills/Lakewood area is still a nice place to live. All kinds of shopping and restaurants, several different neighborhoods. It gets congested in areas, and the rush hour traffic heading into downtown in the morning and back in the evening can be heavy.

The area along Baseline from I-10 to 7th Street has undergone a lot of development, lots of newer subdivisions and some shopping centers. I take Baseline in to work the days I don't ride the bus, so I go through there fairly often. Worth a look.

Don't have info about that portion of the job market, but I'm sure someone does.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:14 PM

110 posts, read 119,104 times
Ahwatukee is nice. But, Baseline Rd. in Phoenix is not that great. There are some nice neighborhoods and newer developments. But overall, the area is not that nice. One thing I have also found is that the nicer neighborhoods in that area often come with some pretty high property tax. I wouldn't want to move there myself. But, that is just me.

Old 03-23-2018, 01:19 PM

I'll be renting, we don't want to purchase anything until we are in a spot for a year and enjoy it. We are coming from Indiana so he wants to be absolutely sure. Thank you, I was looking at Ahwatukee and they have really nice schools there. I just remember living near Baseline road as a kid so used that as my pinpoint of around where I wanted to be.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:41 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times
My office is in that area - I personally think it's one of the prettier parts of town. I make the drive from I-10/Chandler Blvd to Chandler Blvd/Desert Hills Parkway several times weekly and it's nice. I'd say from Baseline/I-10 south to Chandler/I-10, west on Chandler Blvd to Desert hills curving back to Ray Rd east, then north on 48th up to Baseline again is nice. Lots of nice apartments if you're looking at an apartment. Technically, part of that area is Phoenix. Kyrene School District.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:17 AM

95 posts, read 162,017 times
How about the 55+ area of Ahwutakee?

Old 03-24-2018, 02:10 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
I'd still recommend Ahwatukee over anything along Baseline Road. While it's true that the Baseline corridor has improved, it's still loaded with vacant lots and some not so nice neighborhoods here & there. At least Ahwatukee is fully developed, not hit & miss like along & near Baseline. One thing that Ahwatukee has is congested traffic due to its long time reputation as being the world's largest cul de sac.

Old 03-24-2018, 03:32 PM

19,432 posts, read 27,815,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo44 View Post
How about the 55+ area of Ahwutakee?
I believe this is the only one. https://www.55places.com/arizona/com...rement-village

Old 03-25-2018, 09:18 AM

202 posts, read 219,906 times
Are you implying at all of Texas is dangerous or was their a specific part of it that your husband was planning on going to that is known to be dangerous? I find it very troubling when someone generalizes without understanding situations with nuances. I don’t think you can survive anywhere with that sort of paranoid outlook. No offense. But it’s pretty common here. Hence, the pace at which many older neighborhoods in Phoenix have become slummified and you see the questions of “is this neighborhood still safe?”

Old 03-25-2018, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomasaz View Post
Are you implying at all of Texas is dangerous or was their a specific part of it that your husband was planning on going to that is known to be dangerous? I find it very troubling when someone generalizes without understanding situations with nuances. I don’t think you can survive anywhere with that sort of paranoid outlook. No offense. But it’s pretty common here. Hence, the pace at which many older neighborhoods in Phoenix have become slummified and you see the questions of “is this neighborhood still safe?”
I wasn't implying all of Texas, but the San Antonio area. I'm sorry for putting that in there without being specific, there is a difference between crime, and 9 thousand reported thefts in one month type of crime. Also I lived near Baseline rd and it was a really nice area and I wanted to know if it was safe because I do have a family and I do know there are a lot of drugs in Phoenix, I know some areas my Mom used to frequent (she passed away this year and was a drug user), and just wanted to know if Baseline was still decent. I'm not overly paranoid, I just want my daughter to be in a safe neighborhood. I wasn't afforded such a luxury by my own parents when growing up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area