Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 10:51 PM

480 posts, read 845,650 times

Advertisements

Never. Saw a few outside when we lived in Chandler, but nothing in the house. I think they were afraid of the epic shrieking that would have ensued.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2018, 10:54 PM

44,640 posts, read 61,661,969 times
Been here since 1963, never seen/had one in the house. Have seen a few in the past outside in the desert.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:38 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,620,914 times
Mesa near Brown/Center, on the canal, have not seen any yet. Office is at Chandler Blvd & Desert Hills Pkwy in Ahwatukee, haven't seen any there yet either.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:09 AM

110 posts, read 119,266 times
I have never seen a scorpion in or anywhere near my house. The last time I saw one was when I was at an Ace Hardware in Carefree. (It was actually one of Arizona's deadliest species of scorpion) But, it was in a jar at the register. Not sure if that counts.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:55 AM

221 posts, read 193,084 times
More Rock must be an unmet member of my association. No report of scorpions from neighbors. Other small as unwanted pests, yes.

Old 03-24-2018, 05:55 AM

9,750 posts, read 11,174,324 times
Since 2011, we put water buckets in our home in the summer to add humidity. When we arrive back in the fall, we occasionally see one drown as they are looking for water. Last year on two different occasions, I saw one inside the house alive so I stepped on them. They were running away from me as they should. Notice, they were not running at me so why should I be afraid of them??? Because of this, I decide to take a black light out all last year on our property to kill them with a spray. I have never noticed them until I looked for them. From October to mid December, I killed at least 1 per night. Some nights I killed up to 6 of them. I probably killed a grand total of a couple hundred over 3 months. So the rule of thumb is they are outside not inside and you don't see them unless you look for them.

To the OP the more important question to ask is how many people have been bitten by a scorpion. I bet we are talking about 1 in a few hundred over the course of their lifetime. That should be the statistic you stare at. My "fear" was getting bit when I grabbed something outside and was the reason I went on the hunt. Realistically, they love hanging on the perimeter. Like holes in the brick walls, under hot tubs, under planters, in your sprinkler valve box, along the house near the ground etc. I never found one in the middle of the yard or on our pavers.

In summary, your concerns are irrational because of how few people notice them and more importantly, how infrequently people get bit. My wife is deadly afraid of black widow spiders which ARE common. Solution: CY Kick https://www.domyown.com/cykick-cs-p-...hoC5ZwQAvD_BwE applied every few months. If we didn't spraying for them, we would have 3-4 of them around the house and yard. Cy Kick also kills a hundred bugs. Bugs are why scorpions are nearby.

I understand you are looking for Masterplan areas which are greener, well watered areas. Well, green areas == more bugs== more scorpions. And the outer burbs==closer to the natural desert==more scorpions. That's the reality. And if you are logical, you should realize that you too will probably be in the 299 out of 300 that never get bite by one in their lifetime.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-24-2018 at 06:09 AM..

Old 03-24-2018, 06:35 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,616,311 times
Scorpies don't bite. They were not given teeth, which they may or may not place into a jar on their nightstands overnight. However, they have been given stingers, and with those stingers they have the option to sting.

Old 03-24-2018, 06:47 AM

5,477 posts, read 12,252,326 times
Saw a dead one in the laundry room overhead light fixture when I moved into my house after buying it. Who knows how long it had been there? I do quarterly pest control and have zero problems.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:53 AM

2,449 posts, read 2,605,202 times
I hope this thread doesn't jinx me.

Been here almost my entire life. Back when there were still dirt roads in what is now considered old town Scottsdale. (that's a LONG, long time).

Lived in several locations in Scottsdale, Tempe, Ahwatukee, Chandler and have NEVER seen a scorpion in or around any of my houses. I currently live a few houses away from a greenbelt area.

The things people worry about. Sheesh.

Old 03-24-2018, 08:07 AM

9,750 posts, read 11,174,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I hope this thread doesn't jinx me.

Been here almost my entire life. Back when there were still dirt roads in what is now considered old town Scottsdale. (that's a LONG, long time).

Lived in several locations in Scottsdale, Tempe, Ahwatukee, Chandler and have NEVER seen a scorpion in or around any of my houses. I currently live a few houses away from a greenbelt area.

The things people worry about. Sheesh.
If you want to see a scorpion, go out with a black light at night. Without a black light, you won't see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area