Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:39 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,078,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Yes, that's the bottom line. Many houses have no scorpion issues, or minor issues that can be addressed. Certainly a fear or scorpions shouldn't prevent anyone from moving to Phoenix.

With that said, I definitely recommend inspecting any house before a purchase. When there are issues, and especially big issues, it does affect one's life. I took way too casual an attitude with this when we were house hunting. I had lived in four different houses in the Valley and had never seen a scorpion. Well, we ended up buying a place with a huge infestation. It took months to knock down the population inside the house, and now it's a continuing battle to keep them under control.
This. When you have a scorpion issue it definitely affects your quality of life. They are nasty creatures with a pretty bad sting, so not fun to live with or find inside your home unexpectedly. In fact, the number of scorpions that was a factor (mostly for my wife as she is deathly afraid of them) as to why we moved to central Phoenix, an area with very few if any scorpions, from where we were in Ahwatukee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 01:26 PM

125 posts, read 169,986 times
Default Never had one scorpion in OR out

The only time I have ever seen a real, live scorpion in my life was:

Once in Texas

Once in high desert, California

Not one single scorpion in Arizona- yet & Ive been here ten years. We've had ants, silverfish, moths in the house, but NO scorpions. I am of the type that would relocate a scorpion if found inside.

I think all of the scorpions are killed by residents when found, that's why there are so FEW of them today. I will state, and this is a cultural remark rather than racial, is that the Spanish speaking community in Phoenix (which is very very large) will kill a scorpion and almost never ever think of saving it. Then again scorpions may be much more plentiful in Mexico than here, so they might not realize how rare they are.

Old 04-20-2018, 01:27 PM

357 posts, read 222,513 times
I live in Gilbert - I have never seen a scorpion here or in my entire life . Im a native so thats a long long time by the way. I have lived right off Pima Rd and McDonald in Scottsdale right across from the reservation and no scorpions in our house - neighbors yes had some but not us. I also grew up in the Arcadia area 68th Street and Exeter - my parents are still there and no scorpions ever. Now off Greenfield Road in Gilbert and no scorpions- now I will knock on wood cause I have been afraid of them my entire life and have really dreaded the day I do run into one in my house. Every now and then I see a cricket during the summer that I will think looks like it is a scorpion without my glasses on - only to find out that it is a cricket by my better half with much better eyes.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:03 PM

6,759 posts, read 5,056,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macluffy View Post
I think all of the scorpions are killed by residents when found, that's why there are so FEW of them today. I will state, and this is a cultural remark rather than racial, is that the Spanish speaking community in Phoenix (which is very very large) will kill a scorpion and almost never ever think of saving it. Then again scorpions may be much more plentiful in Mexico than here, so they might not realize how rare they are.
They're not rare. Probably half of the people in my last workplace had seen them on their property or been stung. These are people who live primarily in Mesa/Chandler/Gilbert area.

And I think fear of scorpions transcends most cultural boundaries. We are from 100% European heritage and will kill any scorpion we see on our property. No mercy, I doubt I'll be able to kill them all, haha!

Old 04-22-2018, 05:52 AM

524 posts, read 361,894 times
Quote:
Yes, that's the bottom line. Many houses have no scorpion issues, or minor issues that can be addressed. Certainly a fear of scorpions shouldn't prevent anyone from moving to Phoenix.

With that said, I definitely recommend inspecting any house before a purchase. When there are issues, and especially big issues, it does affect one's life. I took way too casual an attitude with this when we were house hunting. I had lived in four different houses in the Valley and had never seen a scorpion. Well, we ended up buying a place with a huge infestation. It took months to knock down the population inside the house, and now it's a continuing battle to keep them under control.
What area is your current home located?

Old 04-22-2018, 10:35 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Yes, that's the bottom line. Many houses have no scorpion issues, or minor issues that can be addressed. Certainly a fear of scorpions shouldn't prevent anyone from moving to Phoenix.

I'm wondering if people buying houses there shouldn't hire a pest control company to do an inspection.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:19 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
at the very least, have a pest control service done before you move in any house out here, so they can see if there is any pest issues or not; its cheap, safe, and easy, especially when the house is empty

Old 04-22-2018, 02:46 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
As I stated: a lot of grassy areas ==more bugs==the chances of more scorpions because bugs are their source of food. There are 16 parks in our neighborhood and they replant rye grass in the winter. I have grass as well. My house was built in 2005. My broader point was I would have absolutely no idea how many I had without actually looking for them. Because I never saw them outside but in actuality, I had a couple hundred of them. So excluding you, a lot of people who say "I've been in PHX for 20 years and I've never observed one in my yard" could very well mean they never bothered to look for them.

If I knew a house had 200 killed scorpions in a few months it would not stop me from buying a house. In a few months, I brought the level down to zero in combination of killing their food supply. The pest control person has a scorpion killing service which is applied inside the nooks on the wall etc. But it's expensive and didn't mind hunting them and spraying them dead. Now, my (non-)problem is solved.
Partly thanks to your advice my problem is now a non-problem also MN. For the first couple of years, I never saw a scorpion then one day I did. I freaked and saw four more that month inside. I realized they were coming in through the fans in the bathroom which vented on the side of the house. So, got the black light and killed about 10 a night for a month. Now, after then I started walking the neighborhood with my light and spray and proceeded to kill them when I saw them. Finally, this year I have only seen a few outside and nothing inside. I did take out my fans and plug up the vents in the bathroom and since then I have not had any indoor sightings.

OP - This is the thing, those who do not have them roll their eyes and talk about it as if it is no big deal. Then there are those people who really have no fear of bugs, poisonous or not. After that, you have the few of us who have had quite a few and dislike having the upkeep and or have pets or children we are concerned about. My cat took a sting in the face and after a 2000 dollar vet bill and a lot of painful draining procedures I have a dislike for them big time. So, I keep up the hunt.

I would advise you to move to a more central Phoenix location. Places I know of having a better chance of seeing them is Ahwatukee by the mountain(roof rats too). Gilbert, (the scorpion freeway) as it's known. South Chandler, Ocotillo and around there have a known problem(Part of scorpion freeway). Tempe, in the old homes at University/Mill because of city irrigation. North Scottsdale, past Shea, out in the desert. Other than that there are plenty of places without them. Although, they usually have other pests. Iḿ glad I do not have roof rats, I am in Gilbert/Queen Creek area. I would rather have scorpions than roof rats. I have fun hunting them lately.

Honestly tho, I took care of the worst of it within a summer. I do not worry about them now that I am proactive. Snowstorms, tornados, earthquakes, rats and such scare me more than scorpions. I have no small children tho, just cats.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:57 PM

567 posts, read 787,948 times
Lived in our house since '75. Never saw one.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,027 times
Lived in chandler (willis ranch) from 04-08 and never saw one.

If you want my advice....CALL A BUG GUY AND ASK HIM WHERE HE NEVER SEES THEM and then buy in that neighborhood. We used to use Pest Control by Brian - he was in Gilbert. He told us that he would give us a list of good hoods where he had never seen scorpions. He also said def avoid the neighborhoods with lakes because they get termites and that the scorpions are found more in the newer neighborhoods where the built on citrus groves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area