Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 05:23 PM

26 posts, read 21,430 times

Advertisements

The time for my holiday in AZ is getting close 😊.
But I'm informing not only about the places to visit, but also how to be connected.

I'll bring 2 phones with me, the main one as Platform to check my pictures. The other one will be a Samsung J5 (2015) that I'll use as GPS but also as device to navigate if looking for informations and places.
Seems that my device works better with the 2 providers written above, expecially AT&T

...but, it's about 2 hours I'm looking if I can find a store inside the Sky Harbor airport or nearby. But i can't find anything... neither on Google and googlemaps.

The point is that, I'll landing more or less at 18.00 and I guess in town most of the stores will be closed at that time. I must take the light rail to move to Van Buren where my Hotel is located...I can't also wasting time on searching a store too far away and i would prefer to avoid spending money for an extra phone, as i don't need it at all.

Any indication or suggestion?

Thank you anyway ☺
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 07:41 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
what is it you are asking?
both t mobile and att work fine here, if thats your question

Old 03-25-2018, 08:38 PM

13,238 posts, read 7,290,839 times
You won't have any issues with either in Phoenix. If you drive to remote areas of the state Verizon works better long range they use lower frequency travel farther. I went to Tmobile when I went skiing up in flagstaff could not get a good signal where my work phone was Verizon it worked anywhere on the mountain. If your just going to be staying in city's you should not a have a problem. I never had a problem with Tmobile on major highways even up north or out west just when go back into the mountains seems like Verizon keeps working.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:59 AM

Maibe i written a lot and i didn't focus on the main question:
Does there are stores inside the Sky Harbor airport to buy simcards by At&T or Tmobile?

I'm landing around 18.00 and when stores are about to close, i can't reach them in time and neither trying to move lonely without knowing where to go. I mostly use GPS to move on offline maps and online, but i wish to searching places with a connection when in trouble to find them.
I wish to avoid Verizon as it uses a different signal to GSM and it is less compatible.
Anyway I'll move also to the National parks like grand canyon and Monument Valley...signal would be worse but anyway if I'm in trouble with the car, i need a Phone to Call a pow truck.

I can't figure it out i can't connect to the world once I'm landing in an international airport, tousands of miles from home, in a well developed country. I'm missing something for sure...

Last edited by andreawars; 03-26-2018 at 01:30 AM..

Old 03-26-2018, 03:53 AM

113 posts, read 159,786 times
Andrea - I think your questions are: where can I buy a sim card in the evening after my flight; and should I get AT&T or TMobile.
It is difficult to find on the Sky Harbor webpage, but there is an extensive list of where you can get cards:

Terminal 2
Press Xpress (Pre-security)
The PHX Travelmart (Post-security)
CNBC (Post-security)
The Phoenix (Post-security)

Terminal 3
News Travels Fast (North Concourse)

Terminal 4
12 News (Gates A15-A30)
Arizona Highways (Presecurity)
eSavvy (Gates A1-A14, C1-C9)
Hudson (Gates B15-B28)
iStore (Pre-Security)
Trip Advisor (Gates (A1-A14)

In terms of which provider to use; in Phoenix, signal availability would be similar for AT&T or TMobile. In northern AZ, you will have very little coverage at all; no matter which sim card you have. Here is a very handy map of cell towers. There are large areas where you will not have any coverage.
Arizona Cell Phone Coverage Map & Carrier Reviews

Old 03-26-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX Newbie View Post
Andrea - I think your questions are: where can I buy a sim card in the evening after my flight; and should I get AT&T or TMobile.
It is difficult to find on the Sky Harbor webpage, but there is an extensive list of where you can get cards:

Terminal 2
Press Xpress (Pre-security)
The PHX Travelmart (Post-security)
CNBC (Post-security)
The Phoenix (Post-security)

Terminal 3
News Travels Fast (North Concourse)

Terminal 4
12 News (Gates A15-A30)
Arizona Highways (Presecurity)
eSavvy (Gates A1-A14, C1-C9)
Hudson (Gates B15-B28)
iStore (Pre-Security)
Trip Advisor (Gates (A1-A14)

In terms of which provider to use; in Phoenix, signal availability would be similar for AT&T or TMobile. In northern AZ, you will have very little coverage at all; no matter which sim card you have. Here is a very handy map of cell towers. There are large areas where you will not have any coverage.
Arizona Cell Phone Coverage Map & Carrier Reviews
Thank you so much! About skyharbor page i did find Istore but i was pretty sure was just a store of electronic stuff. Are you sure all shops you listed sell sim cards? Because i found that list too...but i wasn't pretty sure by their names they could sell sim cards

What do you Think?

Old 03-26-2018, 08:49 AM

Good point. I assumed they meant sim cards but it likely just means minute/data refill cards, which you will need anyway.

Assuming you're coming into Terminal 4 on an international arrival, your best option is likely the istore outside security. Their detailed info is below. They are open every day 6 AM until 10 PM. You should call them and ask specifically if they have sim cards for your chosen carrier and phone type. Make sure the sim works before you leave the terminal. Sim cards should be quite cheap.

You do have your phone unlocked already, right?

iStore PHX
Phoenix Skyharbor International Airport
Terminal 4, Pre-Security
2800 N Terminal Rd
Phoenix, AZ
Tel: 602-244-1373

Old 03-26-2018, 08:50 AM

If you are not coming into Terminal 4, go to the original list and start googling the store name and "sky harbor hours". the results should include the hours.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX Newbie View Post
Good point. I assumed they meant sim cards but it likely just means minute/data refill cards, which you will need anyway.

Assuming you're coming into Terminal 4 on an international arrival, your best option is likely the istore outside security. Their detailed info is below. They are open every day 6 AM until 10 PM. You should call them and ask specifically if they have sim cards for your chosen carrier and phone type. Make sure the sim works before you leave the terminal. Sim cards should be quite cheap.

You do have your phone unlocked already, right?

iStore PHX
Phoenix Skyharbor International Airport
Terminal 4, Pre-Security
2800 N Terminal Rd
Phoenix, AZ
Tel: 602-244-1373
The Phone is unlocked but works on GSM not CDMA. I've checked a website that show each model of phone (including it model if EU, KOREAN etc...), it is quite compatible with At&T and Tmobile, but in tmobile forum i've found a topic where an expert user replied that if the Phone has the frequency requested, then it works. Tmobile and all Brands don't have the keep an updated list for all phones Worldwide

I'm trying to find out an email of the store becsuse calling them from Italy it would be a suicide.
I'm landing in terminal 4 ☺

Old 03-26-2018, 11:47 AM

Update: IStore replied me through email. They don't sell sim cards or data.
I don't want to take a Taxi to avoid to get lost for reaching a Tmobile or at&t store. It would be stupid! I'm trying to write to the airport hoping they redirect me somewhere

Last edited by andreawars; 03-26-2018 at 12:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area