Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 04:27 PM

427 posts, read 367,789 times

Advertisements

Trying to save a little money here, when exactly do you want to use a swamp cooler? Is it something you leave on overnight, or only when the sun comes up and the humidity drops? Is there a max temp they are no longer effective at? Is it a spring and fall only thing? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 04:51 PM

5,151 posts, read 3,080,320 times
With evaporative/swamp coolers, the important number is the dew point, not the temperature. Swamp coolers work best when the dew point (check your local weather forecast online) is less than 40F. As the dew point rises into the 50s, the cooler works less efficiently, and when dew points are in the 60s, forgetaboutit, you're just blowing warm humid air.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:02 PM

107 posts, read 201,219 times
Today was perfect! I went up on the roof and cleaned ours up to get it ready for the season. Got done with that around noon and the house was at 79. It took a little while for the pads to get saturated, but by mid-afternoon the house was 74 even as the outside temps were climbing. We had a gathering on the back patio and the cool air coming out of the house was pleasant.

I'll run it 'til mid-late June, maybe using the a/c for an hour or so before bedtime, then probably use a/c most of the time until mid-late September when the evap takes over again.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:09 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,176,649 times
I'm all for doing things myself and make it efficient. Here's why I don't use an evap cooler: in the months where an evap cooler is effective, the AC unit does not use that much more power. My AC uses more power in the monsoon season than the rest of the year by far. That's when you can't use the evap cooler in Phoenix. The cost savings from an evap cooler are thus minimal and only if you do the cleaning yourself. If you hire someone to do it you will save nothing IMO. If you prefer somewhat wetter air in the house then it may be worth it still, but not for the money savings.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:14 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,083,968 times
55 degree dew point is the upper limit.

Old 04-01-2018, 11:01 AM

107 posts, read 201,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
I'm all for doing things myself and make it efficient. Here's why I don't use an evap cooler: in the months where an evap cooler is effective, the AC unit does not use that much more power. My AC uses more power in the monsoon season than the rest of the year by far. That's when you can't use the evap cooler in Phoenix. The cost savings from an evap cooler are thus minimal and only if you do the cleaning yourself. If you hire someone to do it you will save nothing IMO. If you prefer somewhat wetter air in the house then it may be worth it still, but not for the money savings.
All good points, and probably enough to keep most people from ever installing one if the house wasn't built with it. If you already have one plumbed into your a/c ductwork, however, it's still cheaper than a/c, and it's hard to beat having the house opened up but still cool on pleasant 90* days for 4-5 months of the year.

We got lucky in that when we finally found a house on property that met all of our other criteria, it had central evap already installed. I would not have invested in one otherwise, but having it available we prefer it over the central a/c during the times it's effective.

Old 05-30-2018, 10:41 AM

359 posts, read 361,204 times
unless you have an ac purchased in the last few years it will use much more power then a swamp cooler no matter what time of year we have a bonaire durango live in vegas and LOVE IT best purchase we have made

Old 05-30-2018, 10:46 AM

277 posts, read 276,291 times
Never owned one.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:02 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,741,062 times
The question seemed to be when do you use it if you have it, not whether or not you should have it.

When we had a swamp cooler we would turn it on in the spring when it started getting hot enough for us to want cooling. There was a thermostat of sorts (not temperatures but low...high sort of thing.) We would use it like that, adjusting the "thermostat" as needed until it stopped being efficient, i.e. the dew point would get up to 55 and it would get hot and muggy in the house. That usually happened around the 4th of July. Sometime in September things would dry out and we would start using it again. There would be times in between when it worked OK for a day or two.

It did save money, particularly in June when it would get hot but you could still use it. With the swamp cooler on you could keep doors and windows open a bit and it seemed a lot more pleasant than when you would have to seal things off for the AC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: